Iraq demands all US troops leave - Obama takes credit for ending the war in Iraq

Thank you, Mr. President.
Why? What did he do, besides follow the timetable established during the Bush Administration?

So then why are all the Conservs on FOX criticizing him for following the timetable Bush set with the Iraqis?

Conservatives are easy:
If it's bad, then he actually gets responsibility attributed to him.
If it's good, he had nothing to do with it.

obama sold the military out.

"When the Americans asked for immunity, the Iraqi side answered that it was not possible," al-Maliki told a news conference Saturday. "The discussions over the number of trainers and the place of training stopped. Now that the issue of immunity was decided and that no immunity to be given, the withdrawal has started."

When Obama announced Friday that all American forces would leave Iraq by the end of the year, he did not mention the immunity issue, portraying the decision as the fulfillment of one of his main campaign promises to end the conflict.

News from The Associated Press

All he has to do now is let Iraqi forces into the US to make arrests.

We wont be leaving Iraq. Just more lies. We will always have a presence there. This is all just show for the sheep in both countries. We didn't go through all that to just leave. So don't believe the media hype on this stuff. We're staying put in Iraq for many years to come.

"When the Americans asked for immunity, the Iraqi side answered that it was not possible," al-Maliki told a news conference Saturday. "The discussions over the number of trainers and the place of training stopped. Now that the issue of immunity was decided and that no immunity to be given, the withdrawal has started."

When Obama announced Friday that all American forces would leave Iraq by the end of the year, he did not mention the immunity issue, portraying the decision as the fulfillment of one of his main campaign promises to end the conflict.

How exactly did anything you just posted, indicate that Obama sold the military out?

How exactly did anything you just posted, indicate that Obama sold the military out?

You don't understand the word immunity do you? Maybe when some order following soldier or marine is "captured" in their living room and taken back to Iraq as a war criminal you will.

And this was a deal worked out a long time ago anyway. When they wanted us out,we were supposed to leave. Hopefully this is what's happening. But i'm very skeptical. I'm sure we will have a presence in Iraq for many years to come.

^^I doubt it... If the government does not want us their we won't be their, unless we come up for another reason to invade. Contractors will be there, I'm not sure if that is the influence you are referring to.... but the troops will be gone, they can't stay there you can't put them there at the mercy of the Iraqi justice system.

^^I doubt it... If the government does not want us their we won't be their, unless we come up for another reason to invade. Contractors will be there, I'm not sure if that is the influence you are referring to.... but the troops will be gone, they can't stay there you can't put them there at the mercy of the Iraqi justice system.

Look for a last minute deal on this. We will have troops in Iraq for a very long time. I don't believe anything they're saying in public. That's usually just all show.

You don't understand the word immunity do you? Maybe when some order following soldier or marine is "captured" in their living room and taken back to Iraq as a war criminal you will.

Yes I understand the work immunity. I don't think you understand something. Our troops have immunity until they leave at the end of the year. I guess it could be easy to get confused with all the hype and hoopla in the press.
So rest assured, no Iraqis will be coming here to cart off our soldiers or Marines.

Thank you, Mr. President.
Why? What did he do, besides follow the timetable established during the Bush Administration?

So then why are all the Conservs on FOX criticizing him for following the timetable Bush set with the Iraqis?
1. I don't watch Fox.

2. You're probably not being very accurate with your characterization.
Conservatives are easy:
If it's bad, then he actually gets responsibility attributed to him.
If it's good, he had nothing to do with it.
Oh, you mean like the left did with Bush.

I think many are missing the point as to why U.S. troops are leaving Iraq by December 31, 2011:

Obama announces U.S. troops leaving Iraq by year's end

The Associated Press
Date: Fri. Oct. 21 2011

In recent months, Washington had been discussing with Iraqi leaders the possibility of several thousand American troops remaining to continue training Iraqi security forces.

Throughout the discussions, Iraqi leaders refused to give U.S. troops immunity from prosecution in Iraqi courts, and the Americans refused to stay without that guarantee.

Moreover, Iraq's leadership has been split on whether it wanted American forces to stay.

When the 2008 agreement requiring all U.S. forces to leave Iraq was passed, many U.S. officials assumed it would inevitably be renegotiated so that Americans could stay longer.

The U.S. said repeatedly this year it would entertain an offer from the Iraqis to have a small force stay behind, and the Iraqis said they would like American military help. But as the year wore on and the number of American troops that Washington was suggesting could stay behind dropped, it became increasingly clear that a U.S. troop presence was not a sure thing.

The issue of legal protection for the Americans was the deal-breaker.

More: Obama announces U.S. troops leaving Iraq by year's end - CTV News

As I understand it, Obama could have left troops in Iraq past year-end - but because Iraqi leaders refused to give U.S. troops immunity from prosecution in Iraqi courts - Obama is pulling them out. Thank you, Mr. President.

Forum List

Back