Iraq Back on Track

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Zhukov, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Zhukov

Zhukov VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +301
    After a brief hiccup, the Iraqi Governing Council signs the interim Constitution. :clap:

2. wonderwench

wonderwench Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent news! And quite the proof needed to challenge those who claim that democracy is impossible in the Arab world.

The natural state of human beings is to crave liberty and self-determination. Anything else is a perversion.

3. rtwngAvngr

rtwngAvngr Guest

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +511
    Yes. A truly historic event. And we can all say "I remember when.." to our grandkids, and they'll ignore us.

4. Palestinian Jew

Palestinian Jew Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'll believe a democratic iraq is possible when i see it.

5. wonderwench

wonderwench Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    And here is hoping we do see it. It would be disastrous for the region as well as the rest of the world for Iraq to revert to a tyrannical form of government.

6. kcmcdonald

kcmcdonald Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    A beacon of light in the arab world. A friend to Isreal and the united states. We 1 country closer to a peaceful mid east. The only problem i see is that down the road Iraq may become to "bright" a becaon of freedom and the Govts of the region may decide to try to extinguish that light...i.e war in Iraq....again!!!

7. Palestinian Jew

Palestinian Jew Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18
    That is one problem, but the real and much more immediate and plausible problem is an iraq plagued with civil war. Just because the Shi'a finally decided to sign a piece of paper doesn't mean that the serious problems between the kurds and shi'a is gone.

8. kcmcdonald

kcmcdonald Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    The likleyhood of a civil war in Iraq while we have 130,000 troops stationed ther is highly unlikly. It is a possibility down the road. Once a free elected govt. is in power it will be hard to get a army together big enough and powerful enough to take on the Govt.

9. jon_forward

jon_forward Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    page one in what is hoped will be a long chapter in Iraqi history.. the beginings of Democracy in the Middle east..there will be plenty of bumps and holes in the road for them but once they truly realize what Democracy and freedom are all about..it may very well catch fire and Spread to other countrys!!! someday they will be without their oil and income from it..what will they do then with no form of real government??? go back to being bedions??? wander the desert as there fore fathers did? this generation and those that follow will never let that happen.

10. wonderwench

wonderwench Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed, jon. Once people get a taste of freedom, they are not eager to take on the mantle of oppression.