Iraq Attacks Fall 60 Percent, Petraeus Says

Doesn’t a general answer to the commander in chief? If the general were planning to give a negative report then, technically, couldn’t Bush have fired him? Just wondering.

Certainly, the President is the Commander in Chief, and can fire or replace military personnel. Keep in mind though, that his actions can, and are reviewed by the Joint Chief's, Congress, and the ultimate authority, the people.

After being in the world, for say, five or six years, one wonders if reality exists anywhere or if humans need spin and deception in order to survive. The NYT today has a graphic on the back page of the Week in Review; 2007 was the worst year so far in Iraq. Could it be that all of America suffers ADD, maybe it is the water. But let's face it reality for most comes from that leveler of all good sense the TV, and the TV is now focused on the election - as it should be.

"Still, numbers don’t lie: for those in uniform, 2007 was the deadliest year since the invasion." This is not to be cynical but to be real, the General is smart but sometimes smart doesn't count much.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/06/opinion/06chart.html

BRING THEM HOME NOW

PS I also disagree that the war in Iraq is about the war on a noun. Iraq if anything added more enemies than any single act. Iraq is Bush's war.

The war on terrorism will never be won on the military battlefield. It will be won with good intelligence and police work. We must infiltrate and kill them from within. Killing their recruits on the battlefield while sacrificing our own military is not the answer. It pumps up the war economy for those who make money off killing like Carlyle Group etc.

But the bottom line is still Smedley's: The "War Is A Racket."

Took me almost ten years after retiring and leaving the self reinforcing womb of active duty, before I could accept little things like the lie about the Gulf of Tonkin. Makes it much easier now to see the lies about WMDs etc.

I don't fault the troops fighting in Iraq at all. They are young and trusting just like my generation and haven't realized what lying sacks of sh!t these politicians are.

I don't really trust Petraeus at this time. Too many of our other generals who are not out seem to say we have basically FUBARed the whole situation. And I wouldn't trust anything Bush or Cheney were to say on this war.

The war on terrorism will never be won on the military battlefield. It will be won with good intelligence and police work. We must infiltrate and kill them from within. Killing their recruits on the battlefield while sacrificing our own military is not the answer. It pumps up the war economy for those who make money off killing like Carlyle Group etc.

But the bottom line is still Smedley's: The "War Is A Racket."

Well said and I agree. The fight is closer to our fighting the KKK or the Mafia.

Forum List

Back