Iran's peaceful nuke program

Merlin1047

Mar 28, 2004
AL
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle....JKCHIICRBAE0CFFA?type=topNews&storyID=8803632

Iran changes story on plutonium experiments - U.N.
Wed Jun 15, 2005 04:48 PM ET
By Louis Charbonneau and Francois Murphy
VIENNA (Reuters) - Iran has admitted to experimenting with producing plutonium, which can be used to fuel atomic bombs, much more recently than it originally told the U.N. nuclear watchdog, according to a draft U.N. speech.

Iran had first told the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) that its last experiments with the reprocessing of plutonium took place in 1993 but revised that date to 1998, according to a draft speech deputy IAEA chief Pierre Goldschmidt is due to make to the agency's board of governors on Thursday.

The speech, obtained by Reuters, said the IAEA had asked Iran to confirm that one bottle of a solution containing plutonium "had been processed in 1995 while the solution in the second one had been purified in 1998." It added that Iran had confirmed this in a letter dated May 26, 2005.

This revelation will likely add fuel to Washington's belief that Iran's nuclear energy program is a cover to develop the bomb. Iran denies the accusation, insisting its nuclear ambitions are limited to the peaceful generation of electricity.

Diplomats on the IAEA board said this was another breach of Iran's obligation to provide a full and accurate declaration of all sensitive nuclear materials in the country as required by the 1970 nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).

"This is nuclear material and, yet again, when Iran's backed into a corner the story changes," a Western diplomat said.

Goldschmidt's speech said Iran had not provided all documentation related to shipments of equipment used to enrichment uranium sold to Iran by black marketeers. Also, some of the documents Tehran did provide contradicted previous information it had given the IAEA, the speech said.

Access to these documents "is essential for verifying the completeness of Iran's declarations concerning such (uranium enrichment) equipment," the speech said.

It was unclear whether the draft speech would be revised before delivery.

Perhaps I need a more intelligent leftie to explain this to me, because I just don't get it. Here they (Iran) are sitting on top of a whole lot of oil, but somehow they need nuclear power for electricity.

Merlin1047 said:
Perhaps I need a more intelligent leftie to explain this to me, because I just don't get it. Here they (Iran) are sitting on top of a whole lot of oil, but somehow they need nuclear power for electricity.

well as is was explained to me this weekend by my left coast dinner party friends....nuke power is a clean renewable free energy source.... and they want to sell the oil and make money. :wtf:

Soon they will pull a North Korea and claim they have nukes. Then
the fingerpointing will go towards the EU for their failed diplomacy.

The EU will point fingers at the US. All sides are blameless to their
domestic audience. Still nothing gets done.

Iran assume that the US has not the political will to stop their program.
The Euros are toothless tigers to begin with.

Politics............... :duh3:

nosarcasm said:
Soon they will pull a North Korea and claim they have nukes. Then
the fingerpointing will go towards the EU for their failed diplomacy.

The EU will point fingers at the US. All sides are blameless to their
domestic audience. Still nothing gets done.

Iran assume that the US has not the political will to stop their program.
The Euros are toothless tigers to begin with.

Politics............... :duh3:

I say we work on a shield and let Armageddon commence!

nosarcasm said:
"Fixed fortifications are monuments to the stupidity of man."
~
George S. Patton

I lack faith in shields too.
Not in the short run. Problem comes from relying on them after their usefulness has passed.

I think I missile defense technology is useful as a tactical option.

I think in order to sell it to the public the security of such
a system is overstated. For example against Russia
there is no way to stop a thousand warheads raining down on the US.
Countermeasures against missile shield technology is cheap to develop
by advanced industrialized countries.

But it may make all the difference against a North Korean limited attack by
"only a few Ballistic missiles. With the potential enemies being
Iran. North Korea, Pakistan we should continue to develop it.

It still needs another decade or two to become truly effective if you
look at the latest test they made.

But the mere existence might prove a critical trumph card in diplomacy
against our enemies.

The best operational missile defense system we currently possess is called the B-2. A preemptive strike now circumvents a possible nuclear attack and its casualties later.

nosarcasm said:
I think I missile defense technology is useful as a tactical option.

I think in order to sell it to the public the security of such
a system is overstated. For example against Russia
there is no way to stop a thousand warheads raining down on the US.
Countermeasures against missile shield technology is cheap to develop
by advanced industrialized countries.

But it may make all the difference against a North Korean limited attack by
"only a few Ballistic missiles. With the potential enemies being
Iran. North Korea, Pakistan we should continue to develop it.

It still needs another decade or two to become truly effective if you
look at the latest test they made.

But the mere existence might prove a critical trumph card in diplomacy
against our enemies.

I am not being facetious, do you really think Russia has 'thousands' of nukes capable of raining down on us? I don't. Not anymore.

Kathianne said:
I am not being facetious, do you really think Russia has 'thousands' of nukes capable of raining down on us? I don't. Not anymore.

They have them. I liked them better as commies, myself. Then we knew WHO had their finger on the button. Their current lack of stability and willingness to sell makes them far scarier than they used to be.

GunnyL said:
They have them. I liked them better as commies, myself. Then we knew WHO had their finger on the button. Their current lack of stability and willingness to sell makes them far scarier than they used to be.

Not in working order. They can't take care of their troops, much less the nukes. High maintenance they are.

Kathianne said:
Not in working order. They can't take care of their troops, much less the nukes. High maintenance they are.

If they have only 50 and launched them, we could not stop them. Little consolation it is to the dead that we still possess the capability to obliterate Russia in retaliation.

And don't let the breakup of the USSR fool you. They're still smart enough to maintain their insurance policy against the rest of the world.

GunnyL said:
If they have only 50 and launched them, we could not stop them. Little consolation it is to the dead that we still possess the capability to obliterate Russia in retaliation.

And don't let the breakup of the USSR fool you. They're still smart enough to maintain their insurance policy against the rest of the world.
I am much less worried about Russia than NK, Korea, or some rouge state with Kahn intel hitting us.

Kathianne said:

Truly I dont know, they still have the warheads.

How many of their ICBM's a ready for action, who knows?

Kathianne said:
I am much less worried about Russia than NK, Korea, or some rouge state with Kahn intel hitting us.

Agreed. N Korea doesn't bother me anywhere near Iran. Kim Jong Il is a spoiled little brat and retard playing a dangerous game. You'd think he'd read Saddam's book before trying to run a bluff on Bush.

Iran on the other hand is a typical US-hating, Middle Eastern country, currently ruled by extremist Muslims who think taking the entire world out with them when they go is cool.

actually I have more trust in Iran then North Korea. That crazy
little dictator runs his country like one big Gulag (tm of AI).

Iran can be considered an enemy but it is some kind of Islamic Republic ?

They have limited voting and some kind of press at least. That in
the end makes them more rational.

At least I have the hope that after Iraq is flipped to some form
of democracy with a free press the good people of Iran take
care of the America hating clerics.

Burn at the stake preferrably.

N Korea is far more isolated and technologically backwards than Iran. Iran is within striking distance of a WHOLE BUNCH of our military force.

IMO we should have bombed N Korea's nuclear weapons facilities BEFORE they came online, and we should do the same to Iran. Let the world piss and moan. Better that than nuked.

nosarcasm said:
actually I have more trust in Iran then North Korea. That crazy
little dictator runs his country like one big Gulag (tm of AI).

Iran can be considered an enemy but it is some kind of Islamic Republic ?

They have limited voting and some kind of press at least. That in
the end makes them more rational.

At least I have the hope that after Iraq is flipped to some form
of democracy with a free press the good people of Iran take
care of the America hating clerics.

Burn at the stake preferrably.

Actually, I read an interesting article a few weeks ago...an Iranian girl became a Christian and somehow it leaked, so the authorites were after her. To make a long story short, her Muslim friends helped her flee to the U.S. She asked them why they'd done that, considering the religion difference and all, and they said it was because they wanted Americans to know that not all Iranians hate democracy or beat their wives. Hmmmmmm! :salute:

GunnyL said:
N Korea is far more isolated and technologically backwards than Iran. Iran is within striking distance of a WHOLE BUNCH of our military force.

IMO we should have bombed N Korea's nuclear weapons facilities BEFORE they came online, and we should do the same to Iran. Let the world piss and moan. Better that than nuked.

North Korea has developed a two stage missile (not sucessfully tested yet)
that could reach Hawaii and maybe the East Coast.

Iran can hit Israel.

I take North Korea for thousand points.

nosarcasm said:
North Korea has developed a two stage missile (not sucessfully tested yet)
that could reach Hawaii and maybe the East Coast.

Iran can hit Israel.

I take North Korea for thousand points.

I'm greedy. I've got the daily double for two thousand. :cheers2:

Forum List

Back