Iran’s Election: None of America’s Business

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
Was it Daniel Pipes’ endorsement of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad that put the Holocaust-denying hard-liner over the top in Iran’s recent presidential "election"? Or was it the massive – and fairly obvious – fraud committed by the Ahmadinejad camp?

Joking aside, at least for the moment, one has to wonder: what else did anybody expect? Iranian elections have hardly been models of democratic governance in the past. The supreme leader, Ayatollah Khamenei, prefigured the probable upshot of all this when he announced that a victory for leading opposition candidate Mir Hossein Mousavi would amount to a repudiation of him personally – and the crackdown we are witnessing could only have come about as a direct result of Khamenei’s order.

Iran’s Election: None of America’s Business by Justin Raimondo -- Antiwar.com

Do they also believe America's elections are none of the rest of the world's business?

I can't speak for anyone but myself. However, I'm sure they feel, as I feel, that anyone who wants to can take an interest in America's election, just as anyone can take an interest in Iran's election. What they're saying is they don't want any intervention in Iran's election, or for our government to make any pronouncements concerning Iran's election. Just as we would not want anyone trying to intervene or making any pronouncements on our elections.

Do they also believe America's elections are none of the rest of the world's business?

I can't speak for anyone but myself. However, I'm sure they feel, as I feel, that anyone who wants to can take an interest in America's election, just as anyone can take an interest in Iran's election. What they're saying is they don't want any intervention in Iran's election, or for our government to make any pronouncements concerning Iran's election. Just as we would not want anyone trying to intervene or making any pronouncements on our elections.

Really? There were no pronouncements abot the our elections? What world do you live in?

As for actions, we won't be doing anything to Iran about their election, anyone that thinks Obama would do anything is ignorant as hell. Further, we have no real evidence that anything we tried would not back fire and cause the protesters to side with their country.

Really? There were no pronouncements abot the our elections? What world do you live in?

As for actions, we won't be doing anything to Iran about their election, anyone that thinks Obama would do anything is ignorant as hell. Further, we have no real evidence that anything we tried would not back fire and cause the protesters to side with their country.

I didn't say nobody made any pronouncements concerning our elections, I said we wouldn't want them to. Though I can't say I recall any government heads or legislatures coming out with any official statements or legislation stating that our elections are rigged, unfair, and that Bush or Obama or whoever stole an election. Certainly private citizens have offered their opinions, just as we can say Iran's elections may have been unfair, but I don't recall hearing any official statements from any government.

COLOR="DarkRed"]Kinda ironic though doncha think? All the whinin' about "stolen" elections isn't exclusive to Americans. Could be why we think it's our business....[/COLOR] :eusa_whistle:[

I think a better question to ask is how much input would you have given a damn about had Iran decided to vocally criticize Bush's victory in 2000... If you can answer this honestly then you should comprehend how much your opinion mattes to a voting Iranian.

I think a better question to ask is how much input would you have given a damn about had Iran decided to vocally criticize Bush's victory in 2000... If you can answer this honestly then you should comprehend how much your opinion mattes to a voting Iranian.

We do not complain about other Countries votes to impress the people or voters of that Country.

We do not complain about other Countries votes to impress the people or voters of that Country.

Why do you complain about them then?

thats pretty much the point. It's not as if the other guy could win and then *POOF* Iran becomes a muslim version of salt lake city. It's not as if that role in their gov is even the highest office. We all know what RGS's reaction to Iranian criticism of the 2k election would look like. I was hoping for a change in iran too but, hey, look at what happened in israel with the racist bastard lieberman and bibi so.. selective criticism about an election that is none of our American business is like the roar of a paper tiger.

They are coreect, it is not the US's business.

It's up to Iranians to decide how they want to live, the US should mind it's own business.

thats pretty much the point. It's not as if the other guy could win and then *POOF* Iran becomes a muslim version of salt lake city. It's not as if that role in their gov is even the highest office. We all know what RGS's reaction to Iranian criticism of the 2k election would look like. I was hoping for a change in iran too but, hey, look at what happened in israel with the racist bastard lieberman and bibi so.. selective criticism about an election that is none of our American business is like the roar of a paper tiger.

Well right now its bad enough that the entire foundations of the government might come down, Supreme leader and all. But then I may just be too optimistic.

I agree with the president and let's stay out of this for the moment. There is nothing we can do and if we intervene we might give them a common enemy.

Forum List

Back