Iranians capture 15 Royal Navy personel

Yes and no...IF (and that is a big 'if') the Brits had a GPS tracking device (many units in Iraq do) then their position is known within less than 30 feet at all times. Such information should be in classified computer logs and probably is. US units are all equipped with this functionality ... not sure about all coalition partners but I am almost certain the Brits are.

Such technology wont keep the Iranian propaganda machine from cranking out bullshit though.

Yep, which seems the Brits do have:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070327/wl_nm/iran_britain_sailors_dc

Blair warns Iran of "different phase"

By Paul Hughes 58 minutes ago

Britain's British Prime Minister Tony Blair warned Tehran on Tuesday of a "different phase" if it did not free 15 British military personnel captured in the Gulf four days ago.

The sailors' capture and new U.N. sanctions imposed on Tehran on Saturday over its disputed nuclear program have stoked tensions between the West and Iran and pushed oil prices to a 2007 high.

Russia and the United Arab Emirates on Tuesday urged Iran to comply with U.N. demands that it halt sensitive nuclear work but Tehran says the U.N. resolution is illegal.

Iran, which denies any intention of making atomic weapons, has said it may charge the two boatloads of British sailors and marines with illegally entering its waters in the northern Gulf. Britain insists they were operating in Iraqi waters.

"What we are trying to do ... is to pursue this through the diplomatic channels and make the Iranian government understand these people have to be released and that there is absolutely no justification whatever for holding them," Blair said.

"They have to release them. If not, then this will move into a different phase," he told Britain's GMTV television.

Blair's spokesman said the next step London could take would be to publish proof, in the form of global satellite positioning (GPS) records, that the sailors had not entered Iranian waters.

"We so far haven't made explicit why we know that because we don't want to escalate this," he said.

A government source in London told Reuters British officials were showing Iran data on the sailors' exact position when seized.

Britain has been assured that the sailors are well but has not been given access to them or told where they are being held...

where did I say anything was a grand conspriacy? where did I say anything that blamed anyone other than the Iranians themselves? You misread my words and now do not have the grace to admit it.

red states rule...are you gonna retract this idiocy?

I'd even take it so far as to do an under-the-table prisoner swap if they called for one. The lives of 15 British sailors are worth more than some Iranian diplomat shithead.
Wow, that Dirt McGirt fellow was spot on. He could be the Buddha. :razz:

Glad to see them back, Roomy. Is it me or is their some sort of Stockholm Syndrome thing going on? It kind of parallels Jill Carroll's release somewhat. I haven't been watching the news lately but from what I've seen, the Sailors are graciously apologetic. I could be wrong though. What are some of the media and tabloid stories going on over in the UK about the release?

War is a form of diplomacy. So of course it will be handled through diplomacy. Just wont necessarily be non-violent.

Iran is baiting the west right now. Everyone is concerned about war. Noone really wants it. but we dont always get to choose the times we live in.

Of course the US wouldn't mind if a squad of Iranian sailors were in its territorial waters....

The Bush admin is baiting Iran all the time practically...just leave them alone for crying out loud...

Iran is baiting the west right now. Everyone is concerned about war. Noone really wants it. but we dont always get to choose the times we live in.

Maybe if we hadn't taken Osama bin Laden's bait and started war in the Middle East (giving Osama exactly what he wanted) Iran wouldn't have bothered trying to bait us.

I'm so glad they were freed.

I was little when Carter was president..and we had all those hostages there back then.

I am so happy that be not the case now....I don't trust the Iranian Government as far as I can spit.

One thing that makes me sad..is the four Brits just killed over in Iraq..I bet there family members prayed for the 15 that were in Iran...then hear news of this.

Dam..:(

Wow, that Dirt McGirt fellow was spot on. He could be the Buddha. :razz:

Glad to see them back, Roomy. Is it me or is their some sort of Stockholm Syndrome thing going on? It kind of parallels Jill Carroll's release somewhat. I haven't been watching the news lately but from what I've seen, the Sailors are graciously apologetic. I could be wrong though. What are some of the media and tabloid stories going on over in the UK about the release?

Mixed feelings here, it seems that they are 'allowed' to make 'small talk' if their captors are not at 'war' with us, as opposed to the name rank and serial number they have to stick to regarding adversaries.Having said that, there is a growing voice concerned that they were saying far too much and being too forthcoming.I prefer to wait for their explanations before passing judgement.

Forum List

Back