Iranian Warships Gathering in the Straits of Hormuz

image.jpg

An extremely dangerous situation. Iranian leaders are threatening to cut off the supply of oil shipped through this narrow channel. The slightest wrong move and a conflagaration could quickly follow.

The Iranian navy is increasing its presence at the Strait of Hormuz, sparking concerns that Tehran is showcasing its ability to block international access to the world’s most important oil transit point.

We are aware of the increase in Iranian naval operations within the Arabian Gulf, Strait of Hormuz and Gulf of Oman,” U.S. Central Command spokesman Capt. Bill Urban said Wednesday. “We are monitoring it closely, and will continue to work with our partners to ensure freedom of navigation and free flow of commerce in international waterways.”

Iran’s navy has been assembling its warships at the northern opening of the strategic waterway. The move comes as tensions have ratcheted up between Tehran and Washington over the Trump administration’s decision to terminate its nuclear deal and levy more sanctions against Iran.

Iranian leaders have threatened to shut down the strait if the country is blocked from exporting crude oil.

More @ US military watching closely as Iranian ships gather at key oil shipping route

Let's see who should be there. The Iranians, it's right next to Iran, or the Americans which are from thousands of miles away.

We go where we damn well please.

Straits are international waters by maritime law.

21 miles across the Straight at the widest point... 12 miles to be in International Waters... You are either in Oman or Iran when you are floating the Straight...

The right of innocent passage, laid out in Articles 17 – 26 of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (“UNCLOS”), protects the right of ships in transit to pass through another nation’s territorial sea, subject to certain regulations that may be imposed by the sovereign. Passage is considered innocent “so long as it is not prejudicial to the peace, good order or security of the coastal State.” Innocent passage, however, can be subject to certain conditions imposed by the sovereign state, and may in fact be suspended temporarily in times of emergency.

Is the Strait of Hormuz Governed by Treaty or by Customary International Law?
Neither the USA nor Iran have signed the UNCLOS treaty.

image.jpg

An extremely dangerous situation. Iranian leaders are threatening to cut off the supply of oil shipped through this narrow channel. The slightest wrong move and a conflagaration could quickly follow.

The Iranian navy is increasing its presence at the Strait of Hormuz, sparking concerns that Tehran is showcasing its ability to block international access to the world’s most important oil transit point.

We are aware of the increase in Iranian naval operations within the Arabian Gulf, Strait of Hormuz and Gulf of Oman,” U.S. Central Command spokesman Capt. Bill Urban said Wednesday. “We are monitoring it closely, and will continue to work with our partners to ensure freedom of navigation and free flow of commerce in international waterways.”

Iran’s navy has been assembling its warships at the northern opening of the strategic waterway. The move comes as tensions have ratcheted up between Tehran and Washington over the Trump administration’s decision to terminate its nuclear deal and levy more sanctions against Iran.

Iranian leaders have threatened to shut down the strait if the country is blocked from exporting crude oil.

More @ US military watching closely as Iranian ships gather at key oil shipping route

Let's see who should be there. The Iranians, it's right next to Iran, or the Americans which are from thousands of miles away.
You sure do have a childish, simplistic and unsophisticated view of the world.

Iran defends its interests. This move didnt come as a surprise.

Defend? From what? You don't take Military action against a Peruvian Oil Tanker headed to South Africa...

Flexing their weak muscles imo…

I dont think that Iran will shut the strait because of sanctions or something like that. But they will almost certainly try this in the case of the US military actions against them. Doubtfully that military operation is at hand now, but they dont exclude it in the future and are preparing themselves to that.
Our ships will make their sailors fish food and we have the POTUS to make it so.
It would be better if you minded your own business. You have already shown your excellent job in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya and Syria. Thats enough.
"My business" is whatever I decide it to be. Whenyou have power you don't take threats from midgets, flat out.
Say that to Assad.

Defend? From what? You don't take Military action against a Peruvian Oil Tanker headed to South Africa...

Flexing their weak muscles imo…

I dont think that Iran will shut the strait because of sanctions or something like that. But they will almost certainly try this in the case of the US military actions against them. Doubtfully that military operation is at hand now, but they dont exclude it in the future and are preparing themselves to that.
Our ships will make their sailors fish food and we have the POTUS to make it so.
It would be better if you minded your own business. You have already shown your excellent job in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya and Syria. Thats enough.
"My business" is whatever I decide it to be. Whenyou have power you don't take threats from midgets, flat out.
Say that to Assad.
Obama is history.

it is THEIR STRAIT? you got a link to that fantasy?

Its true... It is not International Waters... I believe there is some sort of UN or NATO treaty though...

The Strair of Hormuz is only 29 miles wide. Iran claims its territorial waters to extend 12 miles while Oman does the same. That leave a tiny 5 mile-wide space for ships to traverse.

it is THEIR STRAIT? you got a link to that fantasy?

Its true... It is not International Waters... I believe there is some sort of UN or NATO treaty though...

The Strair of Hormuz is only 29 miles wide. Iran claims its territorial waters to extend 12 miles while Oman does the same. That leave a tiny 5 mile-wide space for ships to traverse.
You can see both shores there.........We understood that the Iranians had silk worm missiles there at the straits .........don't know if that is the case now.........was then..............

Bigger problem for us was the Kuwaiti mine fields and them putting mines in off the rigs............The Kuwaiti mine fields are basically square boxes........of circular current........Mine sweepers would clear a box.......then report it safe..........then the asshats would put more mines in the water................at that point..........we were not allowed to take them out yet.....when our ships got hit ......then the rigs were used as a training qualification to waste them...........

Their little ships were blown away.............and the people fell into the shark tank. Doubtful many were alive after taking the hits..............

They try again............they will meet the same fate.

Forum List

Back