Iranian mother of two sentenced to death by stoning may be saved by an unlikely hero

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
The Iranian mother of two sentenced to death by stoning may be saved by an unlikely hero—Brazil's president. Shirin Ebadi, Iran’s Nobel peace laureate, talks to Azadeh Moaveni about Lula’s strange offer.
For a while there, it seemed that Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani’s only chance to escape death by stoning was to pull herself out of her ditch amid a hail of small stones. But the 43-year-old mother of two may have been saved by an unlikely hero Saturday, when Brazilian President Luiz Inacio “Lula” da Silva made a surprise offer of asylum, appealing directly to Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad: “If she is causing problems there, we will welcome her here,” Lula said.

Iran Stoning Case Has New Twist: Lula's Asylum Offer - The Daily Beast

No, what the evil adulterer needs is some radiation poisoning or amputation by shrapnel. We have to get those evil doers lest it be the end of western culture!

I read that story a couple of days ago, it's an interesting case. Lots of Brazillian civil society groups were pushing for him to do it and he finally gave in. It's a great offer. Why kill people? Just send them here. And Brazil ain't the shithole it was 20 years ago, it's really becoming a serious emerging power. Props to them.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Erthun0Pauc]YouTube - monty python stoning clip[/ame]

Is she guilty of the crime?

What happened to your claims Islam was a peaceful religion? You openly support stoning a woman because she may have had an affair?

Yeah, I mean, I hate to agree, but it does not matter whether she fucked 100 dudes while being married. Nobody, and I mean, NOBODY, deserves to get stoned to death for committing "adultery." Yeah, like I try, I really try to take culture into account and you know it's very complicated when people have certain beliefs about this or that... but no, absolutely not. Not only is the death penalty wrong (which is what we're talking about, this IS the death penalty), but the death penalty for fucking? Absolutely, positively not, under any circumstance. It's indefensible.

Is she guilty of the crime?

What happened to your claims Islam was a peaceful religion? You openly support stoning a woman because she may have had an affair?

Yeah, I mean, I hate to agree, but it does not matter whether she fucked 100 dudes while being married. Nobody, and I mean, NOBODY, deserves to get stoned to death for committing "adultery." Yeah, like I try, I really try to take culture into account and you know it's very complicated when people have certain beliefs about this or that... but no, absolutely not. Not only is the death penalty wrong (which is what we're talking about, this IS the death penalty), but the death penalty for fucking? Absolutely, positively not, under any circumstance. It's indefensible.

Really? I can at least understand the aversion to treating adultery as a capital offense, but do you really think that executing rapists is so draconian?

That's not punishing someone for fucking someone other than their wife/husband- it's punishing them for sexual assault.

If you can't see the difference...

That's not punishing someone for fucking someone other than their wife/husband- it's punishing them for sexual assault.

If you can't see the difference...

I'd say it falls within the rather general category of "fucking."

Really? I can at least understand the aversion to treating adultery as a capital offense, but do you really think that executing rapists is so draconian?

Well, fine, you got me there... That wasn't really the fucking I had in mind. I gotta say I was kinda wasted when I wrote that.

SUdhspdOIShapsodiHdspoIsdha.

No, but seriously, I mean, I used to be for the death penalty (before I was against it, hohoho), but I've developed an aversion to letting the state kill anybody. I'd rather have the State let the guilty rot in prison for life than allow it to kill even one innocent person. Now, about letting innocent people rot in prison for life... Well, yeah, that's an area that could always use improvement.

The death penalty is not indefensible, last I checked that argument was at an impasse with neither side really making headway in their argument.

I can see why people would want the death penalty, quick and simple and straightforward if you take death row out of the equation. But economically now things aren't simple with appeals, deceitful lawyers and corruption existing heavily within the system, plenty of cases people end up innocent and the bad guy still out there.

So in the end its cheaper to shove someone in a prison cell for life than execute someone (in a western society). But in some cases there does need to be execution and when you come down to it we executed many people from the Nazi regime after ww2, and there was no hope of them re-entering society.

Last edited:

Well, fine, you got me there... That wasn't really the fucking I had in mind. I gotta say I was kinda wasted when I wrote that.
It's cool, I'm pretty baked at the moment myself.

SUdhspdOIShapsodiHdspoIsdha.

No, but seriously, I mean, I used to be for the death penalty (before I was against it, hohoho), but I've developed an aversion to letting the state kill anybody. I'd rather have the State let the guilty rot in prison for life than allow it to kill even one innocent person. Now, about letting innocent people rot in prison for life... Well, yeah, that's an area that could always use improvement.
I understand your argument but respectfully disagree. The advent of DNA testing and other modern methods of identification has made it even unlikely that an innocent person will be executed; I'm unaware of anything like that happening in the US since the moratorium ceased to be in effect decades ago.

Forum List

Back