Iranian election stolen

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
TEHRAN, June 13 (UPI) -- Riot police charged on protesters Saturday in Tehran as the Iranian government declared Mahmoud Ahmadinejad was re-elected president, sources said.

Both Ahmandinejad and his rival, Mir Hossein Mousavi, declared victory with Mousavi urging his supporters to stand firm in the face of a "dangerous charade," The New York Times reported Saturday.

"I am the absolute winner of the election by a very large margin," Mousavi said late Friday night.

Police with riot batons charged thousands of Mousavi supporters gathered in central Tehran Saturday, but it was unclear if there were serious injuries.

Massive protests over Iranian election - UPI.com

I have always said I'm an idiot.
I guess I was right!

Its not clear that this is the case yet, but it is becoming increasingly likely. There do seem to be riots and demonstrations though and so far there haven't been major crackdowns. Will be interesting to see where this goes from here...

Landslide or Fraud? The Debate Online Over Iran’s Election Results - The Lede Blog - NYTimes.com

“They didn’t rig the vote,” claimed this man, who showed his ministry identification card but pleaded not to be named. “They didn’t even look at the vote. They just wrote the name and put the number in front of it.”

I'd suggest reading it... it looks like it was just fucked.

It does...but I am withholding judgment for a little while longer yet.

Andrew Sullivan has been keeping up with updates as well.

The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

lemmie guess. It was stolen by Katherine Harris, Jeb Bush, and Karl Rove?:lol::lol:

Uhhh... Anyway...

I dunno guys, if it looks like fraud, sounds like fraud, and smells like fraud... Can anyone conceivably believe that if it has been this sort of massive LANDSLIDE there would've been this sort of stirring in the lower deck? I mean what is happening now in Iran is what happens in countries in which elections are won by a half a percentage point, when results are just REALLY close and both sides are up in arms about the results. This doesn't happen with 2-to-1 margin of victory; I can't think of any examples.

Uhhh... Anyway...

I dunno guys, if it looks like fraud, sounds like fraud, and smells like fraud... Can anyone conceivably believe that if it has been this sort of massive LANDSLIDE there would've been this sort of stirring in the lower deck? I mean what is happening now in Iran is what happens in countries in which elections are won by a half a percentage point, when results are just REALLY close and both sides are up in arms about the results. This doesn't happen with 2-to-1 margin of victory; I can't think of any examples.

I don't think the margin of victory really tells us much. Polls can, of course, be false and there wasn't great polling in Iran beforehand. Further, its completely possible that the web would think that there were many More pro-Mousavi voters than there actually were, since its the pro-Mousavi voters who have a web prescence.

But...yeah I think you are right, prolly. There are violent protests there, and people are up in arms. There is word that Mousavi is under house arrest. There is word that 50-100 demonstrators are dead. The graphs that have been circulating the internet this morning tell an improbable story if the election results were genuine.

Its really quite sad, it will be interesting to see how this plays from here through and how much resonance the protests will have.

Forum List

Back