Iranian authorities vow to quell protests on key anniversary

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
TEHRAN, Iran (CNN) -- The commander of Iran's security forces warned that police would "strongly confront" anyone planning to protest Thursday, a day that marks the anniversary of a pivotal point in Iran's reformist movement.

In an interview with the state-run Islamic Republic News Agency (IRNA), Maj. Gen. Esmaeel Ahmadi Moghadam said authorities would confront protesters and that no demonstration permit had been issued for Thursday, the 10th anniversary of a 1999 student uprising that, at the time, posed the biggest threat to the Islamic regime since its inception in 1979.

Tehran's governor Morteza Tamaddon issued a similar warning as the police chief Maj. Seyed Hadi Hashemi told IRNA that authorities are trying to encourage people to leave the capital before Thursday because of severe haze.

Hashemi "urged the citizens to consider Tehran's heavy pollution and travel outside of the Capital for the weekend in order to help reduce traffic," IRNA reported.

Iranian authorities vow to quell protests on key anniversary - CNN.com

More of the same.

Great news.

That government is doing everything exactly wrong.

They are slowly eroding their own support.

Great news.

The "gov't" only needs to control the IRG, Basij, and army. It can survive with 2% of the popular support, which is probably about what it has right now - and it won't matter.

As long as these dogs aare willing to use violence and force to attack their population, only an outside military intervention would be able to overthrow this awful dictatorship.

It might take several additional massacres before it reaches a point where the public is so upset that they will finally acquiesce to an outside attacker, and not rally around "their" gov't as has been thought of previously.

They are looking worried. Which is good.

I think they are shocked at the level of anger they stirred up. They do believe they are the voice of the nation on this, so the fact that the nation is so angry must be un nerving.

I still think that as the summer progresses, they will have more and more to worry about. They are now depending on imported thugs to keep things in line. They might even be afraid of the cops and the army by now. Soon or late, push will come to shove with the army and the population. And since my understanding is the army is largly conscript, that makes the army more dangerous to the regime than the population. The shah had the same problem back in 1979, and it looks like they are making the same mistakes

Great news.

The "gov't" only needs to control the IRG, Basij, and army. It can survive with 2% of the popular support, which is probably about what it has right now - and it won't matter.

As long as these dogs aare willing to use violence and force to attack their population, only an outside military intervention would be able to overthrow this awful dictatorship.

It might take several additional massacres before it reaches a point where the public is so upset that they will finally acquiesce to an outside attacker, and not rally around "their" gov't as has been thought of previously.

God you are stupid.

The government doesn't controll the IRG or the Army. The Army declared neutrality at one point and haven't really been involved in the massacres.

More and more conservative clerics are coming out against Khamenei and Ahmadinejad, which would NOT have happened if Mousavi had been tied to the Americans. It looks like something real might actually happen here.

why would they ever be amenable to "an outside attacker"? answer: they wouldn't be...

nor should that be something that we ever consider... ever.

linking us with any interference would de-legimize the reform movement and end up like every other place we tried to overthrow governments.

silliness...

Given that one of the great engines of the power of the regime is HATE toward us, we have to be very careful how we handle this.

And Mousavi is nothing to write home about. He might even be more toxic than the other guy. Our only interest is that the will of the people be respected. Even if the will of the people is not in our interest, which from what I can gather about Mousavi, is the case.

Our only interest here is the spread of democracy as a principle. The actual democrats, meh.

God you are stupid.

Ever look in the mirror, u fucking idiot asshole?

The government doesn't controll the IRG or the Army.

YES they do, ****. Where the fuck do you get your information, moron?

I think Nik has a point. The army to this point and the cops have been mostly doing their job. The horrors have mostly been done by outside thugs.

Every tyrant who relies on force to rule, rather than the consent of the people has to make sure his force is reliable. From what I am seeing, the powers in Iran are afraid to use the army, as it might shoot at them, rather than for them. They have the chain of command, but down there at the level of the individual soldier, how lightly does the chain rest? There is the very real danger the chain might break, and be used against them.

And how much love does the upper level of the army have for them anyway?

This has gone on far longer than I thought it would. It is going to be an interesting summer

God you are stupid.

Ever look in the mirror, u fucking idiot asshole?

The government doesn't controll the IRG or the Army.

YES they do, ****. Where the fuck do you get your information, moron?

Radical Islam controlls the country and the army.

Senior Army Officers who are not obviously pro Radical Islam are terminated. Hundreds of thousands of common people who did not support Radical Islam have disappeared in Iran. Some have fled the country, some have been found dead on street corners and some have mysteriously vanished. I wonder how that happened? Hummmmmm????

Forum List

Back