Iran rejects nuclear inspections unless Israel allows them

Shogun

Free: Mudholes Stomped
Jan 8, 2007
GENEVA—An Iranian envoy said Monday his government will not submit to extensive nuclear inspections while Israel stays outside the global treaty to curb the spread of atomic weapons.

"The existing double standard shall not be tolerated anymore by non-nuclear-weapon states," Ambassador Ali Asghar Soltanieh told a meeting of the 190 countries that have signed the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty.

Nuclear safeguards are far from universal, he said, adding that more than 30 countries are still without a comprehensive safeguard agreement with the International Atomic Energy Agency to ensure full cooperation with that U.N. body.

"Israel, with huge nuclear weapons activities, has not concluded" such an agreement or submitted its facilities to the IAEA's safeguards, Soltanieh said.

Israel, which does not discuss whether it has atomic weapons, did not sign the nonproliferation treaty, which requires all signatories except the major powers to refrain from obtaining nuclear arms. India and Pakistan, which have developed nuclear weapons, also are not signatories.

Iran did sign the treaty and is under U.N. Security Council sanctions meant to pressure the Tehran government into allowing inspections that will ensure it isn't developing nuclear weapons. Iran insists its atomic program is peaceful, with the sole goal of using reactors to generate electricity.

A U.S. envoy accused Iran of "provocative and destabilizing activities" and said its leaders

were responsible for leading the country into the sanctions imposed by the Security Council.

"The path of defiance is also the path of isolation, of continuing and additional sanctions and of further stunted economic opportunities for a proud and sophisticated people already suffering from economic turmoil and mismanagement by its regime's leaders," said Christopher A. Ford, U.S. special representative for nuclear nonproliferation.

Ford said Iran joined North Korea and Syria in weakening the nonproliferation treaty.

"This treaty regime faces today the most serious tests it has ever faced: the ongoing nuclear weapons proliferation challenges presented by Iran, by North Korea and now by Syria," Ford said.

Ford cited U.S. intelligence that North Korea was helping Syria in "secretly constructing a nuclear reactor that we believe was not intended for peaceful purposes." Syria denied last week that it was working on an undeclared reactor, which purportedly was destroyed by an Israeli airstrike last September.

Soltanieh said nuclear-armed powers like the United States, Britain and France are practicing "nuclear apartheid" by denying or restricting peaceful atomic technology to countries like Iran.

"Access of developing countries to peaceful nuclear materials and technologies has been continuously denied to the extent that they have had no choice than to acquire their requirements for peaceful uses of nuclear energy, including for medical and industrial applications, from open markets," Soltanieh said.

This usually means the material is more expensive, poorer quality and less safe, he said.

were responsible for leading the country into the sanctions imposed by the Security Council.

"The path of defiance is also the path of isolation, of continuing and additional sanctions and of further stunted economic opportunities for a proud and sophisticated people already suffering from economic turmoil and mismanagement by its regime's leaders," said Christopher A. Ford, U.S. special representative for nuclear nonproliferation.

Ford said Iran joined North Korea and Syria in weakening the nonproliferation treaty.

"This treaty regime faces today the most serious tests it has ever faced: the ongoing nuclear weapons proliferation challenges presented by Iran, by North Korea and now by Syria," Ford said.

Ford cited U.S. intelligence that North Korea was helping Syria in "secretly constructing a nuclear reactor that we believe was not intended for peaceful purposes." Syria denied last week that it was working on an undeclared reactor, which purportedly was destroyed by an Israeli airstrike last September.

Soltanieh said nuclear-armed powers like the United States, Britain and France are practicing "nuclear apartheid" by denying or restricting peaceful atomic technology to countries like Iran.

"Access of developing countries to peaceful nuclear materials and technologies has been continuously denied to the extent that they have had no choice than to acquire their requirements for peaceful uses of nuclear energy, including for medical and industrial applications, from open markets," Soltanieh said.

This usually means the material is more expensive, poorer quality and less safe, he said.

http://www.inyork.com/world/ci_9160454

I can't wait to see the responses about how piddly little Iran should have no such say on this matter.

Sounds like a reasonable request to me. If Israel is so afraid of what Iran MIGHT be doing, then all they need to do is open their own closet up as well.

You know, like what everyone was saying about Iraq? All they need to do is open their program up to inspectors and they won't be invaded and conquered?

Or does Israel get a free pass on that one, because...well...they're Israel?

I can't wait to see the responses about how piddly little Iran should have no such say on this matter.

Sounds like a reasonable request to me. If Israel is so afraid of what Iran MIGHT be doing, then all they need to do is open their own closet up as well.

You know, like what everyone was saying about Iraq? All they need to do is open their program up to inspectors and they won't be invaded and conquered?

Or does Israel get a free pass on that one, because...well...they're Israel?

Israel is not a signatory of any Treaty concerning Nuclear power or weapons. And ya Israel gets a free pass because , unlike Iran, they are not paying for, training, recruiting and arming TERRORISTS to kill people. Israel also has not ever demanded that some other Country cease to exist, that a whole race of people be driven into the sea and murdered. Israel does not send their children in mass waves through mine fields to clear the way for the troops . etc etc etc.

Israel is not a signatory of any Treaty concerning Nuclear power or weapons. And ya Israel gets a free pass because , unlike Iran, they are not paying for, training, recruiting and arming TERRORISTS to kill people. Israel also has not ever demanded that some other Country cease to exist, that a whole race of people be driven into the sea and murdered. Israel does not send their children in mass waves through mine fields to clear the way for the troops . etc etc etc.

You're free to, and also encouraged, as well as EXPECTED, to cite claims...especially ones like that.

You're free to, and also encouraged, as well as EXPECTED, to cite claims...especially ones like that.

Cite what? That Israel is not a signatory? That Iran supports , arms, recruits and trains terrorists? You have to be kidding me? Did you just arrive here on this planet yesterday?

Cite what? That Israel is not a signatory? That Iran supports , arms, recruits and trains terrorists? You have to be kidding me? Did you just arrive here on this planet yesterday?

I'm well aware of the claims. I'd just like to see your sources, thats all.

And I don't give a horse's fucking nutsack who is a signatory in a treaty. I personally don't see a problem with Israel opening it's closet up as well, if it's got such a problem with someone else's. If you do, than I would make sure I didn't accuse anyone of being close-minded ever again if I was you.

And I don't give a horse's fucking nutsack who is a signatory in a treaty. I personally don't see a problem with Israel opening it's closet up as well, if it's got such a problem with someone else's. If you do, than I would make sure I didn't accuse anyone of being close-minded ever again if I was you.

Playing games to play them is ignorant. Lets cut to the chase shall we?

Are you claiming Iran does not supply weapons to terrorists?

Are you claiming Iran does not allow terrorists to recruit in Iran?

Are you claiming Iran has not demanded the elimination of Israel and all Jews in Israel?

Are you claiming Iran does not provide money to terrorists?

Are you claiming Iran does not train terrorists how to use the weapons they give to them?

I didn't claim ANYTHING. YOU did.

But here's the short, short version:

Playing games to play them is ignorant. Lets cut to the chase shall we?

Are you claiming Iran does not supply weapons to terrorists? No.

Are you claiming Iran does not allow terrorists to recruit in Iran? Terrorists probably recruit in every country in the world, including the US. Show me proof that they knowingly "ALLOW" it

Are you claiming Iran has not demanded the elimination of Israel and all Jews in Israel? Yes.

Are you claiming Iran does not provide money to terrorists? Show me something more than a news article saying the US government says so.

Are you claiming Iran does not train terrorists how to use the weapons they give to them? See last response.

And I love your argument that because the US says it it is not true.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9E0DEFDB1138F934A25752C0A9649C8B63

Ahh, but I didn't say that, did I? I said a news article saying that the government says so is not good enough. If you can show me some copies of banks statements on financial transactions, or what have you, then I might lend it some credence. I would think that ought to be an easy one for the government, considering the NEWS says they have it, no?

First, it was they "demanded" the destruction. Now, it's they're "calling" for it. Neither of those words were used in the actual statement.

And this argument is dead anyway. There are just as many articles laying out the case for how the statement was vaguely translated and taken out of context.

So torture by the US is fine, because no one gives a fucking nutsack who is a signatory in a treaty.

GENEVA—An Iranian envoy said Monday his government will not submit to extensive nuclear inspections while Israel stays outside the global treaty to curb the spread of atomic weapons.

"The existing double standard shall not be tolerated anymore by non-nuclear-weapon states," Ambassador Ali Asghar Soltanieh told a meeting of the 190 countries that have signed the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty.

Nuclear safeguards are far from universal, he said, adding that more than 30 countries are still without a comprehensive safeguard agreement with the International Atomic Energy Agency to ensure full cooperation with that U.N. body.

"Israel, with huge nuclear weapons activities, has not concluded" such an agreement or submitted its facilities to the IAEA's safeguards, Soltanieh said.

Israel, which does not discuss whether it has atomic weapons, did not sign the nonproliferation treaty, which requires all signatories except the major powers to refrain from obtaining nuclear arms. India and Pakistan, which have developed nuclear weapons, also are not signatories.

Iran did sign the treaty and is under U.N. Security Council sanctions meant to pressure the Tehran government into allowing inspections that will ensure it isn't developing nuclear weapons. Iran insists its atomic program is peaceful, with the sole goal of using reactors to generate electricity.

A U.S. envoy accused Iran of "provocative and destabilizing activities" and said its leaders

http://www.inyork.com/world/ci_9160454

The usual tapdance. Irael has nothing to do with Iran's being inspected.

These morons are and their "will not be tolerated" are going to be the cause of a war yet.

Hope I'm not too old to enlist ...:eusa_eh:

Tell that to cluster bombed lebonese civilians.

and, in fact, they demand palestine cease to exist for the sake of israel.

oh, and OF COURSE israel doesn't have to sign a treaty like everyone else.. they are CHOSEN like that.

:rolleyes:

The usual tapdance. Irael has nothing to do with Iran's being inspected.

These morons are and their "will not be tolerated" are going to be the cause of a war yet.

Hope I'm not too old to enlist ...:eusa_eh:

no, the double standard is pretty relevant. It's pretty indicative of quite a bit actually. It's a buddy system hitler and mousolini would be proud of.

Forum List

Back