Iran may receive S-300 anti-aircraft missile systems from Russia

I was talking to a friend of mine not too long ago; according to him the Ukraine crisis was created solely to punish Russia for its support of Syria and Iran.

Where does your friend live?

Thinking that the Ukrainian crisis was inspired solely by neo-fascists with the help of the US is fooling yourself. If you want to comprehend the core reason of hostility between contemporary Ukrainians and contemporary Russians, you should look not on the events of the last two years or the last twenty years or so. You should begin with Kievan Rus and other Rus principalities, then take a look at the times after the Mongol invasion when there became to exist significant differences between so-called North-Eastern Rus and so-called South-Western Rus, then try to understand the conception of “Little Russian identity” and the other conception (which is rival to the former) of Ukrainian national identity. And, as an addition, you can read something about “славянофилы” and “западники”.

I was talking to a friend of mine not too long ago; according to him the Ukraine crisis was created solely to punish Russia for its support of Syria and Iran.

Where does your friend live?

Thinking that the Ukrainian crisis was inspired solely by neo-fascists with the help of the US is fooling yourself. If you want to comprehend the core reason of hostility between contemporary Ukrainians and contemporary Russians, you should look not on the events of the last two years or the last twenty years or so. You should begin with Kievan Rus and other Rus principalities, then take a look at the times after the Mongol invasion when there became to exist significant differences between so-called North-Eastern Rus and so-called South-Western Rus, then try to understand the conception of “Little Russian identity” and the other conception (which is rival to the former) of Ukrainian national identity. And, as an addition, you can read something about “славянофилы” and “западники”.

My friend (co-worker) is an American of middle eastern descent. We work together in San Francisco.

I am aware of the so called animosity between Russians and Ukrainians. However, the timing of Russia's decision to help Syria and fomentation of crisis in Ukraine is quite curious -- nevertheless.

My friend (co-worker) is an American of middle eastern descent. We work together in San Francisco.

I am aware of the so called animosity between Russians and Ukrainians. However, the timing of Russia's decision to help Syria and fomentation of crisis in Ukraine is quite curious -- nevertheless.

Actually, the Ukrainian crisis began almost two years ago. Russia’s combat actions in Syria began a month ago.

When Russia got to help Syria with combat operations, a hot phase of the war in Ukraine began fading.

Actually, the Ukrainian crisis began almost two years ago. Russia’s combat actions in Syria began a month ago.

When Russia got to help Syria with combat operations, a hot phase of the war in Ukraine began fading.

That is not correct. Here is the chronological order of events:

a. Propaganda against Assad regime intensified
b. Russia refused to go along with "Western" agenda of removing Assad
c. Bombing of Syria by "West" started
d. Russia got more outraged by it
e. News started to float that Russia was supplying weapons to Syrian government
f. Ukraine crisis started
e. Bombing of Syria by "West" escalated
f. Russians took back Crimea and put Ukrainians on run
g. Once things became somewhat quiet on Russian fronts, Russia started sending direct military support to Syria
h. Russian military is carrying out direct attack on Islamists to support Assad regime

If you look at the order of events, it becomes quite possible to think that Russia was being punished for supporting Assad.

Last edited:

g. Once things became somewhat quiet on Russian fronts, Russia started sending direct military support to Syria
h. Russian military is carrying out direct attack on Islamists to support Assad regime

If you look at the order of events, it becomes quite possible to think that Russia was being punished for supporting Assad.

Do I understand you correctly that the things have been unfolding in that way: the West began to escalate the Syrian crisis, Russia responded by providing military equipment and diplomatic support to the Assad regime, the West instigated the Ukrainian crisis in order to make Russia withdraw its support, Russia responded by annexing Crimea and supporting the uprising in Donbass and after that by providing direct military support to Assad? In other words, the West has completely screwed up in its strategy?

BTW, when did the West begin to bomb Syria?

it becomes quite possible to think that Russia was being punished for supporting Assad.
You're right.
Justthe scale ofmore.Assadis only a part.
Russiahas been punishedforleadingan independent policy.
Anditcanlead.

US use Ukraine as a condom.

Do I understand you correctly that the things have been unfolding in that way: the West began to escalate the Syrian crisis, Russia responded by providing military equipment and diplomatic support to the Assad regime, the West instigated the Ukrainian crisis in order to make Russia withdraw its support, Russia responded by annexing Crimea and supporting the uprising in Donbass and after that by providing direct military support to Assad? In other words, the West has completely screwed up in its strategy?

BTW, when did the West begin to bomb Syria?

What country do you live in?

What country do you live in?
Ukraine.
Why do you ask?

I was just surprised why you have not heard of aerial attacks on Syria. It was all over the news here in the U.S. The attacks stopped and then about a week or so ago French hinted that the attacks may start again. Then the Russians decided to join the fight against terrorism. Now, things as you know are a bit complicated.

I was just surprised why you have not heard of aerial attacks on Syria. It was all over the news here in the U.S. The attacks stopped and then about a week or so ago French hinted that the attacks may start again. Then the Russians decided to join the fight against terrorism. Now, things as you know are a bit complicated.

I did hear about the attacks, of course. And unless I am mistaken the US began bombing Syria a year ago or so. In this case there is a mistake in the order of points in your post 104. The point “c” can’t be before the point “f”.

I don’t know whether it is significant or not in your friend’s theory.

I did hear about the attacks, of course. And unless I am mistaken the US began bombing Syria a year ago or so. In this case there is a mistake in the order of points in your post 104. The point “c” can’t be before the point “f”.

I don’t know whether it is significant or not in your friend’s theory.

Both c and f happened about a year ago. One thing seems clear that there is connection between Ukraine and Syria crisis.Even if you place f before c, that does not change the curious link between the two crisis. According to my friend, the Ukraine crisis was created to keep Russia busy on its border so that it will not be able to intervene in Syria but unfortunately, the Ukrainians could not put up the fight for long. This defeated the objective.

Both c and f happened about a year ago. One thing seems clear that there is connection between Ukraine and Syria crisis.Even if you place f before c, that does not change the curious link between the two crisis. According to my friend, the Ukraine crisis was created to keep Russia busy on its border so that it will not be able to intervene in Syria but unfortunately, the Ukrainians could not put up the fight for long. This defeated the objective.

Actually, in November the will be two years since the beginning of the Ukraine crises. And it is doubtful that the US wasted a year in order to begin bombing Syria.
Moreover, a year ago the first peace agreement was signed.

Also, I think there are other two flaws in the theory.
1. Since the hot phase of the conflict the Ukrainian government has been urging the US to deliver so-called lethal arms (for example the Javelin systems). The US government has been refusing to do so because it may provoke the Russians to do more decisive actions in Ukraine.
2. The US government has refused to train so-called Azov regiment because it mainly consists of Ukrainian ultra-nationalists. To tell the truth, if they (the Americans) wanted to prolong the hot phase, they wouldn’t be so squeamish about it, I think, because this regiment is one of the most (if not the most) motivated to fight against the Russians.

Forum List

Back