Iran In Sights?

As usual, the looney left wants the guv'mint to fund what private indusrty can do better.

You don't think government should have a role in funding research?

How about subsidizing new energy? (like a production tax credit for $x.xx/kWh produced) Maybe compare that to current subsidies, you like them or you like no subsidy whatsoever?

Like NASA?

Of course there’s been zero technological advancements from the inception of that institution. I’m sure IBM and Bell Laboratories could have eventually come up with a few rather important devices and been able to economically produce them, on their own…………eventually.

"Slot Cars" was just a visual - think of a magnetic field device embedded in the pavement - that might make it a little easier to grasp. Nothing actually has to make an electric contact, but as an engineer I’m sure I don’t have to tell you that. Other than those differences - they would operated just the same as their counterparts presently.

Nuclear power generation, wind power generation, hydro-thermal generation, water-driven hydro-electric, tidal-power-generation, solar-power-generation, etc., etc., etc.

Remember when everyone said that all forms of solar power panels would NEVER be able to be produced economically? Close co-operation between the American government and private industry proved that DEAD WRONG.

:eusa_whistle:

Government has a role in research, as proven by NASA for the initial phases of space exploration and satellite placement. But based on the ridiculous costs of the Shuttle, not to mention its numerous disasters, government can go to far, and will do so willingly.

I don’t think you’ve thought out your slot car concept fully. There has been research for years on advanced vehicle control systems using a simple wire embedded in the pavement, but the goal of these is guidance, not power. For power technology we are better off focusing on Li-ion batteries or hydrogen fuel cells, both which can be researched by greedy, profit seeking private enterprise. :razz:

Interesting that you mentioned nuclear power. This demonstrates that you’re not a complete loony. However, you’ll have to tell the environmental whacko’s to SHUT UP before we build any more plants. I estimate we’ll need about 500 new plants to make up for all the oil that we currently import. I hope you have a strong stomach for the approaching battle.

I haven’t seen any data on economical solar panels so if you have links I’d be interested.

You don't think government should have a role in funding research?

How about subsidizing new energy? (like a production tax credit for $x.xx/kWh produced) Maybe compare that to current subsidies, you like them or you like no subsidy whatsoever?

Perhaps if you can point out where in the Constitution funding for research is enumerated.

To be honest I'm not totally against it, but based on the current track record it should be done as minimally and carefully as possible.

I don’t think you’ve thought out your slot car concept fully.

Really? So a field can't be generated that causes a certain kind of motor to cause even, say a train, to move forward - without making contact?

Okaaaaay.....:eusa_whistle:

Interesting that you mentioned nuclear power. This demonstrates that you’re not a complete loony.

Considering some of the PM's I've received, regarding you, you need to curb your labels a bit.

Nuclear power seems to work fairly well driving subs and carriers, so I think the public's view of that kind of power generation may be tied to massive power plants, that take decades to complete, don't operate very long and cost a buttload of money to take down.

Maybe a little less snotty might be a better approach for you, eh?

I hope you have a strong stomach for the approaching battle.

Will it be any worse than an aircraft carrier fire?

I haven’t seen any data on economical solar panels so if you have links I’d be interested.

Try the JC Whitney catalog.:razz:

...[1] So a field can't be generated that causes a certain kind of motor to cause even, say a train, to move forward - without making contact?
[2] Considering some of the PM's I've received, regarding you, you need to curb your labels a bit.
[3] Nuclear power seems to work fairly well driving subs and carriers, so I think the public's view of that kind of power generation may be tied to massive power plants, that take decades to complete, don't operate very long and cost a buttload of money to take down.

[4]....Try the JC Whitney catalog.:razz:

1. Ain't practical for personal V hicles.
2. Imagine that. You are your buds are talking about me. Whouda thunk? :cuckoo:
3. Nuke plants have proven to be the least expensive, most dependable way of generating power, with the lone exception of hydro. The reason they take so long to build is over-regulation, weenie environmentalists and corrupt union labor- Damnocrats all.
4. I figgered you weren't serious. I've heard that a solar cell will never make enough electricity in its lifetime to make up the initial purchase cost. Prove me wrong.

http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2007/1/emw497963.htm

Nation's Largest Solar Neighborhood by Lennar Has Received Amazing Interest in Sacramento

The nation's largest solar neighborhood by Lennar has received an amazing amount of interest in Sacramento proving that the Sacramento homebuilding market is ready for solar homes. Lennar has reported more than three times the visitors to their SOLAR plus sales offices each week than their competitors in the area. All three of the popular, solar communities in Roseville, CA including Ironcrest at Fiddyment Farm, Wayfarer and Laureate at WestPark are hosting their official grand openings Saturday, January 20th where families will tour the new model homes and enjoy food and festivities.

Roseville, CA (PRWeb) January 17, 2007 -- Lennar has proven that the Sacramento homebuilding market is ready for solar homes reporting three times the visitors a week than their competitors in the area. All three of the popular, solar communities including Ironcrest at Fiddyment Farm, Wayfarer and Laureate at WestPark are hosting their official grand openings Saturday, January 20th where families will tour the new model homes and enjoy food and festivities.

"We knew that this area was ready for us to build solar and energy-efficient homes that would save them money and help preserve the environment's resources but, we didn't foresee the amazing response we've had so far," said Jeff Panasiti, Lennar Sacramento, Calif. division president. "It just proves that Sacramento families are buying smart. Homebuyers love our Lennar product and now we can provide them a home that combines energy-efficient design with on-site solar electricity allowing their home to generate up to 60% of their household energy."

Combining the power of solar electricity with the highest standards in energy-efficient products and construction, Lennar's SOLAR plus program incorporates the expertise of several industry experts. SunPower Corp. (Nasdaq: SPWR), which designs, manufactures and markets high- performance solar electric technology worldwide, provides the roof integrated solar panel product and installation for each Roseville home. By participating in Roseville Electric's Preferred Diamond Home program, each Lennar SOLAR plus home has also earned the unique distinction of exceeding current state standards for energy efficiency.

"We are very pleased to partner with Lennar for this impressive program. The systems we are providing to these communities feature the world's most efficient solar cell. Lennar and Roseville Electric are demonstrating true environmental leadership and providing their customers with tremendous savings on their energy bills," said Howard Wenger, SunPower Corp. vice president of global business units.

Each of Lennar's SOLAR plus communities integrate SunPower's roof-integrated 2.3 kW SunTile® solar electric system. According to Roseville Electric, integration of these energy efficiency measures and photovoltaic systems will reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 4.9 million pounds, which is equivalent to planting more than 920,000 trees and taking more than 400 cars off the road annually.

In addition to the cost savings and environmentally friendly features of the SOLAR plus homes, the three communities offer spacious, well-designed plans ranging in size from 2,213 to 4,720 square feet with up to five bedrooms and two and three quarter bathrooms plus a powder room. Some plans include bonus rooms and every home will have the always popular and value added Everything's Included™ (ei) package.

:rofl: :cool:

http://home.nestor.minsk.by/build/news/2007/02/0611.html

Costco Wholesale installs solar-power energy system

Costco Wholesale has announced the installation of its second solar-powered energy system at its Lake Elsinore, California warehouse. SunEdison simplified the implementation by delivering the turnkey solar system, which will produce 595 kW, DC, 496kW, AC, through the 45,000 square foot system.

The new system is expected to supply in excess of 725,000 kWh annually. The clean energy produced by the solar system will eliminate an estimated 1,009,611 pounds of CO2 annually, which is the equivalent of planting 2,800 acres of trees over the 25 year life of the system.

By delivering a turn-key system, SunEdison simplified the implementation process, which includes engineering, permitting, metering and meeting other regulatory requirements. SunEdison built the system using Kyocera 200 Watt Modules, and a SatCon 500 KW inverter.

:cool: :clap2:

MMA Renewable Ventures Has Put $39 Million Into Solar Projects

8th February 2007

MMA Renewable Ventures, LLC, a subsidiary of Municipal Mortgage & Equity, LLC has announced that it financed $39 million worth of new solar energy projects in the last quarter of 2006. MMA Renewable Ventures completed the year having financed six projects nationwide from its pipeline of more than eight MW of new renewable energy systems.

"The six solar projects financed in 2006 illustrate our ability to manage sophisticated renewable energy deals to successful completion," said Matt Cheney, Chief Executive Officer of MMA Renewable Ventures. "The projects are diverse in terms of geographic location, regional incentives, technology deployment and end user requirements. One thing they have in common is an effective third-party finance solution tailored by MMA Renewable Ventures to fit their specific developer and customer needs."

Located throughout California and New Jersey, the six mid- to large-scale photovoltaic systems financed in 2006 will deliver predictably priced electricity to three corporate and three municipal energy customers. MMA Renewable Ventures tailored both power purchase agreements (PPA) and lease arrangements to streamline financing for the projects. The third-party finance solutions removed the upfront cost to the customers, in turn accelerating business for MMA Renewable Ventures' solar developer and installer partners.

"With $39 million worth of solar projects financed within the past three months, 2006 marked a milestone year for MuniMae's growing renewable energy business line," said Michael L. Falcone, Chief Executive Officer of MuniMae. "As the industry embarks on what is projected to be another significant growth year for renewable energy, MMA Renewable Ventures is well-positioned to increase the pace of its debt and equity financing."

A wholly-owned subsidiary of MuniMae, MMA Renewable Ventures manages, operates and finances renewable energy assets in the United States. The Company claims to provide customized financial solutions through leases and Power Purchase Agreements to build distributed clean energy generation plants. MMA Renewable Ventures says it is dedicated to delivering competitively priced, clean energy for customers, strong partnership options for project developers, and exceptional opportunities for institutional investment in the renewable energy sector.

http://www.carbonfree.co.uk/cf/news/wk06-07-0003.htm

:eusa_doh:

Switchgrass or Corn, it doesn't matter. Ethanol is NOT an alternative fuel.

Ethanol absorbs moisture and becomes a jelly.

A local marine mechanic informed me that over 75% of marine engine repairs, he did last year, were due to ethanol in the fuel tanks, which clogged the fuel systems.

Dude, don't base your opinion on what a marine mechanic tells you. It must have had something to do with the marine scenario. There is an entire country running their whole fleet of autos on 100% ethanol. The problem is the mode in which it is being made currently in the US, which is entirely insane.

just wanted to chime in to say that I have found this thread very interesting and uncharacteristically substantive, from beginning to end.

and to get back a little to the original theme, which for those who don't remember, was the question of whether or not we are about to attack Iran, I have a 10 beer bet with a friend that we won't attack Iran. He was seeing the build up in material and rhetoric and drawing logical conclusions, as some of us here. I, however, don't believe this president who cried wolf once with disasterous consequences has enough of a mandate left in him for another go. No cred left, at home or abroad. On the other hand this administration has surprised me before.

Cheers, and thanks again for the interesting reading.

just wanted to chime in to say that I have found this thread very interesting and uncharacteristically substantive, from beginning to end.

and to get back a little to the original theme, which for those who don't remember, was the question of whether or not we are about to attack Iran, I have a 10 beer bet with a friend that we won't attack Iran. He was seeing the build up in material and rhetoric and drawing logical conclusions, as some of us here. I, however, don't believe this president who cried wolf once with disasterous consequences has enough of a mandate left in him for another go. No cred left, at home or abroad. On the other hand this administration has surprised me before.

Cheers, and thanks again for the interesting reading.

the man is a maniac your thinking how you think ,you have to put yourself in the great decider's shoes and think like a mad man . it goes like this "we got a saying in Texas you probably have it in Tennessee if yer in for a nickle ...uh if you fool me once no wait...if yer in for a nickle thats not a lot like compared to a dollar....this morning our troops launched a pre-emptive defensive strike and invasion of the terrorist nation of Iran ..operation war is peace... has begun and the liberation of the brave Iranian people

As a matter of fact, I am. I think that the gas tax should reflect the actual cost of getting crude from our suppliers, including the requisite military and diplomatic costs.

I totally agree. As a matter of fact, if there were not so much subsidizing of oil (both real subsidies, military and oil reserve costs), other alternatives wouldn't need subsidizing or government funded research for that matter. They could compete on their own once economies of scale kicked in.

I totally agree. As a matter of fact, if there were not so much subsidizing of oil (both real subsidies, military and oil reserve costs), other alternatives wouldn't need subsidizing or government funded research for that matter. They could compete on their own once economies of scale kicked in.
Exactly, and we'd be much father along with alternates, and the terrorist supporting arabs wouldn't have so much money to toss around.

Unless, of course, that you think that we should use up all arab oil as fast as possible, then leave then high and dry 20 or so years ago when their reserves are zero. And there is something to be said about that policy, which appears to be (and had been for quite some time) the official national policy.

Forum List

Back