Iran Hostage Crisis 1979-bomb or not

should Carter have handled the crisis differently?
the US was humiliated

should we have bombed Iran?
bombing brought the North Vietnamese to the negotiating table
bombing helped bring the Kosovo problem to the table

with Iran having a big oil industry--bombing them would've been even more effective than the bombing of North Vietnam

would the religious hardliners of Iran overcome the more ''sensible'' leaders/businessmen who would not want Iran's oil industry ruined?

Attacks on embassies are considered as attacking the country's soil itself, so there is that. I don't think it was clear at the time there was even a government, though, so who do you attack, exactly? After that became clear, then yes, we should have attacked. If we had, a whole lot of instability and death would have been nipped in the bud.

There wasn't any death. No shots were fired at all. The hostages were brought home entirely through diplomacy. Alive and well.

You can't subtract from zero.
as Pcaro states--this was an attack on the US when they invaded our embassy........
it's not like some moron taking hostages at a bank or something

what about Operation Eagle Claw?? Jimmy was willing to risk their lives then on an IDIOTIC rescue mission?
that probably risked their lives more than bombing would've
Jimmy made a very bad call...if you know anything about military history/tactics
he wanted to use military force--but in a stupid way

The fact remains ----- it all got done without firing a shot. And there's nothing you warmongers can do about that.

Y'all are a freaking trip. Bad enough you think you can just roll over the world by brute force ----- now we get a thread that wants to jump into a time machine and do it retroactively.

Rescued everybody without firing a shot. Don't you GET that? That's what's called a win.

SMH
but you are wrong--there were 8 dead---so Jimmy failed at both

ZERO people ---- no hostages, no soldiers, no civilians --- died in the Iran hostage situation. Fact.

Again that number is: "0".
Stick to topics you know something about. Here is a sample of Carter's failure and incompetance in handling the hostage situation - 8 dead:

Operation Eagle Claw - Wikipedia

Oh I do. That's why I didn't need this link --- but apparently you do: Algiers Accords
If you do, why would you say something so catagorically stupid and incorrect? Again, you are better served by sticking to topics you know something about. Zero dead - my ass!

ZERO people ---- no hostages, no soldiers, no civilians --- died in the Iran hostage situation. Fact.

Stick to topics you know something about. Here is a sample of Carter's failure and incompetance in handling the hostage situation - 8 dead:

Oh I do. That's why I didn't need this link --- but apparently you do: Algiers Accords
you are wrong--he stopped using diplomacy and went to military force--the wrong way

Timely, but Iran has stopped harrasing US ships off their coast ships for the same reason they let the hostages go when the new sheriff came to town. It's easy to se the parallels between Carter, Obama and Reagan, Trump.

Iran has scaled back its provocations towards the US — and some are crediting Trump's tough rhetoric

Timely, but Iran has stopped harrasing US ships off their coast ships for the same reason they let the hostages go when the new sheriff came to town. It's easy to se the parallels between Carter, Obama and Reagan, Trump.

Iran has scaled back its provocations towards the US — and some are crediting Trump's tough rhetoric

It doesn't matter what the topic is, Pogo is always going to post according to the old Pravda rubbish and narratives from the 1950's and the Cold War: Amurka Always Bad And Wrong, Everybody Else Hapless Innocent Victims, and its opposition to Soviet interference and takeovers always have a negative outcome while Soviet puppets were always great and wonderful. The old line Commies and academics, like Chomskyites, for instance, are still stuck in the Cold War era and Gramscian memes left over from then, and since the fall of their guides and mentors haven't come up with anything new since. They think that because the Tudehs lost in Iran that means they get to claim Iran would have been wonderfully free and far more prosperous based on nothing but their idiot spin.

And, they leave out the murders and pogroms by the Mullahs, and the war with Iraq, and the setting up of the Hexbollah, among other fun things that have directly caused the deaths of millions, all due to the 'Revolution'. Those somehow don't count as deaths in Pogo Land, a wonderful place of Commie Paradises, free hash and lava lamps for the masses, and Big Important Government Jobs for stoners who posted PC rubbish on the innernetz.

Last edited:
Propping up the Shah over the Tudeh puppet was the best thing that ever happened to Iran. I know this is hard for stoners, arm chair commies, and Burb Brats to grasp, but it was the best option at the time compared to the alternatives.

The U.S. backed overthrow of Iran's government in 1953 is a root cause. Yet, in some minds, the Iranians are just crazy America haters who attacked out of pure hate for freedom.

Riiiiight, because going out to fuck with other people's elected governments is the "best thing for them"

What a fucking retard.

lol a tard calling others retards. That's rich ,coming from you.lol lol lol

And yes, stopping a Soviet puppet regime from taking power was always far far better than not interfering; just because you think was okay for the Soviets to do so and not anybody else is just more evidence you're a mentally ill deviant and dope addled neo-fascist like all of your fellow 'progressives'.

Forum List

Back