Iran Follows U.S. Lead. Broadens Internet Surveillance: U.S Decries Their Actions...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
Iran and China have merely followed The U.S. and British Governments' lead on this type of Citizen surveillance. So why all the complaining from the U.S and Great Britain? They wrote the book on spying on Citizens?

Iran cracks down on Internet as Parliamentary Elections near.

As Iran nears its March 2 parliamentary elections, Tehran is adding new surveillance measures over its citizens’ Internet freedoms. In a briefing on Friday, the Department of State, said that the move will cut Iranian citizens off from the “global conversation.” The announcement comes as Iranian authorities work to develop a national intranet, which would effectively replace the World Wide Web for Iranians.

Iran “issued regulations giving Internet cafes 15 days to install security cameras [and] start collecting detailed personal information on customers and document users’ online footprints,” the Wall Street Journal reported on Friday, calling the crackdown Iran’s “most sweeping move” yet. The rules also require users to furnish personally-identifying information in order to log on to the Internet at the cafes, including the user’s “name, father’s name, address, telephone and national identification numbers.”

The text of the regulation reads that the rules “are aimed at promoting transparency and organization for Internet businesses and offer more protection against online abuse.”

Google, Yahoo and Wikipedia all rank among the top 10 most visited sites by Iranian Internet users, according to statistics from website analytics site Alexa.com. Social networks like Facebook and YouTube rank in the top 20 most visited sites for Iranians. Tehran has already enacted measures to block its citizens from accessing those sites.

In 2009, Tehran created a 250,000-strong Cyber Police task force to monitor the Internet. The creation of two Cyber War centers that employ 2,000 Cyber Army staff was announced in October by Gen. Hossein Hamedani, the Revolutionary Guard commander in Tehran.

Business owners are upset that the regulation will hurt business, and student activists against the current regime are afraid that the government is closing in on them and acting to make it more difficult for dissidents to communicate with the outside world, the Wall Street Journal reported.

During Iran’s 2009 elections, the world watched on Twitter as protestors took to the streets of Tehran over what many perceived to be a stolen election. Pictures and video capturing the state’s violent suppression of the protests were uploaded to the social network. One infamous video posted to the Internet during the protests depicts a woman bleeding to death after she had reportedly been shot through the chest by a sniper.

Read more: Iran | Internet Freedom | Green Revolution | The Daily Caller

These new Iranian measures sound exactly like surveillance measures our own Government has implemanted in the years following 911. The MSM should be calling them on their astounding dishonesty & hypocrisy.

While not at all cool, I fail to see how the wholesale data mining efforts by the US are the same as the active crackdown on dissent Iran and China are doing.

Last edited:
Doesn't Iran also arrest Iranian nationals, accuse them of treason and hold them indefinitely, just as America will do with the newly signed NDAA?

It seems that we should be swaying Iran to be more like us, not the other way around. It will make it easier for the 1% to maintain control though, just like in Iran.

Last edited:
While not at all cool I fail to see how the wholesale data mining efforts by the US are the same as the active crackdown on dissent Iran and China are doing.

Oh they're cracking down on dissent here too. Obviously it's done in a much more subtle manner though. Iran & China still have a lot to learn on that. But they're getting there.

While not at all cool I fail to see how the wholesale data mining efforts by the US are the same as the active crackdown on dissent Iran and China are doing.

Oh they're cracking down on dissent here too. Obviously it's done in a much more subtle manner though. Iran & China still have a lot to learn on that. But they're getting there.

Really? Please explain, I would be interested because if a crackdown ever came it would be against the left.

Really? Please explain, I would be interested because if a crackdown ever came it would be against the left.

No it would be against anyone who dissents in any way. Left/Right doesn't matter to these people. That stuff is just entertainment for the cattle who don't know any better. The point is,China & Iran are learning well from the U.S. and British Governments. No one spies on their own Citizens better than those Governments do. China & Iran have a lot of catching up to do.

No it would be against anyone who dissents in any way. Left/Right doesn't matter to these people. That stuff is just entertainment for the cattle who don't know any better. The point is,China & Iran are learning well from the U.S. and British Governments. No one spies on their own Citizens better than those Governments do. China & Iran have a lot of catching up to do.

Any crackdown would be against the left because they are the only ones who have the guts to get out and do something rather than just bitch and a whole lot of self described libertarians would cheer. I might direct your attention to the reaction you yourself had to the OWS protesters. The right has nothing whatsoever to fear from our programs of data mining unless they are like those Hutaree maniacs and the legal reaction to them was pretty kid gloves compared to what they would do if some leftist group had planned an armed attack on a bank or something.

China and Iran have forgotten more about squashing dissent then we will ever know, you still live in a free country, you just choose to live as if you are under attack, you are not. Those people in Iran are under attack because they can be erased simply for having a negative opinion of the government. You can still say anything you want on FB and not have to worry, if fear dictates your actions then the government spies have already won before they even got started.

These new Iranian measures sound exactly like surveillance measures our own Government has implemanted in the years following 911. The MSM should be calling them on their astounding dishonesty & hypocrisy.

No they don't. It sounds like you're equating us with totalitarian regimes. THAT'S dishonesty!

Any crackdown would be against the left because they are the only ones who have the guts to get out and do something rather than just bitch and a whole lot of self described libertarians would cheer. I might direct your attention to the reaction you yourself had to the OWS protesters. The right has nothing whatsoever to fear from our programs of data mining unless they are like those Hutaree maniacs and the legal reaction to them was pretty kid gloves compared to what they would do if some leftist group had planned an armed attack on a bank or something.

China and Iran have forgotten more about squashing dissent then we will ever know, you still live in a free country, you just choose to live as if you are under attack, you are not. Those people in Iran are under attack because they can be erased simply for having a negative opinion of the government. You can still say anything you want on FB and not have to worry, if fear dictates your actions then the government spies have already won before they even got started.

The left will do something?

By do something are you referring to all their protests? You really think gov't gives a shit about that stuff?

No they don't. It sounds like you're equating us with totalitarian regimes. THAT'S dishonesty!

These new Iranian 'Internet Cafe' surveillance measures are no different than what our own Government does on a daily basis. Read the article.

By do something are you referring to all their protests? You really think gov't gives a shit about that stuff?

Yes because the banks fear a populist backlash against them and the banks run the government. See how your attitude changed? If the government used it's spy skills against them would you give a shit about that stuff? I doubt it.

Yes because the banks fear a populist backlash against them and the banks run the government. See how your attitude changed? If the government used it's spy skills against them would you give a shit about that stuff? I doubt it.

I work at a corporate bank office, I can assure you nobody in big suits has ever given a damn about people waving signs on a street in Washington.

They make billions of dollars off millions of people and screw ppl every single day of the week. I'm not complaining I'm just telling you the way it is, that's capitalism.

The US Government also pressured Spain into implementing a far more powerful version of SOPA and Protect-IP.

Yeah it is shocking our Government and the British Government get away with complaining about this stuff. They got nothing on China & Iran when it comes to spying on their Citizens. Yet very few in the MSM call them on their hypocritical Bullshit. What does that say about our MSM?

I work at a corporate bank office, I can assure you nobody in big suits has ever given a damn about people waving signs on a street in Washington.

They make billions of dollars off millions of people and screw ppl every single day of the week. I'm not complaining I'm just telling you the way it is, that's capitalism.

At the risk of going off topic, If screwing people is capitalism then capitalism sucks.

At the risk of going off topic, If screwing people is capitalism then capitalism sucks.

I didn't say it was capitalism, I said it's a part of it.

If you have to sell something to someone to feed your family, but the guy on the other side of town is selling the same thing of better quality and a better price, you gonna try to sell your product to the customer or let your kids go hungry by telling the customer to go across town?

Iran and China have merely followed The U.S. and British Governments' lead on this type of Citizen surveillance. So why all the complaining from the U.S and Great Britain? They wrote the book on spying on Citizens?

As Iran nears its March 2 parliamentary elections, Tehran is adding new surveillance measures over its citizens’ Internet freedoms. In a briefing on Friday, the Department of State, said that the move will cut Iranian citizens off from the “global conversation.” The announcement comes as Iranian authorities work to develop a national intranet, which would effectively replace the World Wide Web for Iranians.

Iran “issued regulations giving Internet cafes 15 days to install security cameras [and] start collecting detailed personal information on customers and document users’ online footprints,” the Wall Street Journal reported on Friday, calling the crackdown Iran’s “most sweeping move” yet. The rules also require users to furnish personally-identifying information in order to log on to the Internet at the cafes, including the user’s “name, father’s name, address, telephone and national identification numbers.”

The text of the regulation reads that the rules “are aimed at promoting transparency and organization for Internet businesses and offer more protection against online abuse.”

Google, Yahoo and Wikipedia all rank among the top 10 most visited sites by Iranian Internet users, according to statistics from website analytics site Alexa.com. Social networks like Facebook and YouTube rank in the top 20 most visited sites for Iranians. Tehran has already enacted measures to block its citizens from accessing those sites.

In 2009, Tehran created a 250,000-strong Cyber Police task force to monitor the Internet. The creation of two Cyber War centers that employ 2,000 Cyber Army staff was announced in October by Gen. Hossein Hamedani, the Revolutionary Guard commander in Tehran.

Business owners are upset that the regulation will hurt business, and student activists against the current regime are afraid that the government is closing in on them and acting to make it more difficult for dissidents to communicate with the outside world, the Wall Street Journal reported.

During Iran’s 2009 elections, the world watched on Twitter as protestors took to the streets of Tehran over what many perceived to be a stolen election. Pictures and video capturing the state’s violent suppression of the protests were uploaded to the social network. One infamous video posted to the Internet during the protests depicts a woman bleeding to death after she had reportedly been shot through the chest by a sniper.

China and Iran have much more stringent surveillance going on with their citizens than we do.

So the US developed its own intranet and replaced the World Wide Web? US citizens have been cut out of the world conversations too and nobody noticed? Wow. The level of fear mongering is astounding.

Who'd have ever thunk it?

China and Iran have much more stringent surveillance going on with their citizens than we do.

Our Government & the British Government are more technologically advanced with surveillance. They both do a much more thorough and effective job spying on their Citizens. China & Iran are not there yet with the technology. But they will be at some point. They're just following our Government's lead. They'll catch up someday.

Forum List

Back