IQ Question Thread

Arthur lives with his parents in Chicago. Last week, while his parents were out, Arthur's next-door neighbor Sophie came round to spend the evening. At one point, she popped out to buy some cigarettes. Just then, two men burst into the apartment and, ignoring Arthur, took the TV set, the stereo and a computer. Arthur had never seen the men before, and they had no legal right to remove the equipment, yet he did nothing to stop them. In fact, he didn't even act surprised by their behavior. Why not?

GotZoom said:
Arthur lives with his parents in Chicago. Last week, while his parents were out, Arthur's next-door neighbor Sophie came round to spend the evening. At one point, she popped out to buy some cigarettes. Just then, two men burst into the apartment and, ignoring Arthur, took the TV set, the stereo and a computer. Arthur had never seen the men before, and they had no legal right to remove the equipment, yet he did nothing to stop them. In fact, he didn't even act surprised by their behavior. Why not?

Can't do much from a crib....

During World War II, three Russian V.I.P.'s, Molotov, Vishinsky and Malenkov, were travelling on a train in Russia. Suddenly the train entered a tunnel without the conductor's turning on the lights. The tunnel was long and sooty. At the moment the train emerged, Stalin wandered into the car and noticed that the men had become spotted with soot.

He said to them: "Before I show you a mirror, I have an idea. Your answers will show me which of you is the quickest thinker."

The three men immediately sat up and paid strict attention, for each was anxious to show Stalin how smart he was.

"Now," said Stalin, "each of you gentlemen will please look at the other two, and if you see one whose forehead is smudged with soot, raise your hand."

All three quickly raised their hands.

Stalin continued, "As soon as any one of you knows with certainty whether he himself has been smudged or not, drop your hand."

Looking at each other for a few moments, the three men kept their hands raised. Then Malenkov dropped his hand and said, "I know. I am smudged." Could he really have known? Or was he guessing?

no1tovote4 said:
During World War II, three Russian V.I.P.'s, Molotov, Vishinsky and Malenkov, were travelling on a train in Russia. Suddenly the train entered a tunnel without the conductor's turning on the lights. The tunnel was long and sooty. At the moment the train emerged, Stalin wandered into the car and noticed that the men had become spotted with soot.

He said to them: "Before I show you a mirror, I have an idea. Your answers will show me which of you is the quickest thinker."

The three men immediately sat up and paid strict attention, for each was anxious to show Stalin how smart he was.

"Now," said Stalin, "each of you gentlemen will please look at the other two, and if you see one whose forehead is smudged with soot, raise your hand."

Stalin continued, "As soon as any one of you knows with certainty whether he himself has been smudged or not, drop your hand."

Looking at each other for a few moments, the three men kept their hands raised. Then Malenkov dropped his hand and said, "I know. I am smudged." Could he really have known? Or was he guessing?

I think he could have known, by logical assumption. He could see the other men's smoot...and could conclude since they were all in the same car, he'd likely have been smooted as well. He could see his hands, their hands, bodies, etc...

-=d=- said:
I think he could have known, by logical assumption. He could see the other men's smoot...and could conclude since they were all in the same car, he'd likely have been smooted as well. He could see his hands, their hands, bodies, etc...

Hint: Use process of elimination...

no1tovote4 said:
Hint: Use process of elimination...

No hint required....I think I got it. :) He knew, based on deductive reasoning about all the men being in the same car. He could clearly see the smoot on the other two, and since he was in the same car, it would be logical for him to have been smooted as well. :)

-=d=- said:
No hint required....I think I got it. :) He knew, based on deductive reasoning about all the men being in the same car. He could clearly see the smoot on the other two, and since he was in the same car, it would be logical for him to have been smooted as well. :)

Good 'nuff. Your turn again.

no1tovote4 said:

There is no way for him to know, as those two in front of him, observing each other as each 'having soot' would still raise their hand per Stalin's command, even if Malenkov himself didn't. It was simply a lucky guess on his part.

I suppose there may be a way to be sure he was smudged... assuming Malenkov knew his own hand had soot on it, he could then have wiped his forehead with it while it was raised, and then dropped his hand.

Consider this:

Two horses are acting with equal and opposite forces upon a bungee cord, stretching it out to a length of 100 feet.

One horse is taken away, and this cord is cut in half, and one end tied to a post while the remaining horse pulls on it with the same force as before.

How far away is this horse from the post?

Comrade said:
Consider this:

Two horses are acting with equal and opposite forces upon a bungee cord, stretching it out to a length of 100 feet.

One horse is taken away, and this cord is cut in half, and one end tied to a post while the remaining horse pulls on it with the same force as before.

How far away is this horse from the post?

Same as before, he still has 'his' half?

5.7.2.jpg

Comrade said:
Sounds good to me... your question, Kathianne.

You have a class of very bright 14 year olds, they think school is 'over' after all, they are set in their classes for next year.

How do you concentrate their attention?

Forum List

Back