IQ And The Death Penalty

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
Libs are the kings (and queens) of having it both ways, in more ways than one.
THE COLOR OF DEATH ROW
For those who desire a dispassionate view of death-row justice, let them know that no axe will be ground here, and lest there be any well-intentioned persons who do not perceive the difference between polemic and analysis, style and substance, pomposity and eloquence, let them know that it is always the latter to which we aspire, never the former. For those who endure the stringency of this essay, let them also know they will discover that justice depends on geography, that much of America is fair, and that bias on death row affects mostly whites.
http://www.lagriffedulion.f2s.com/DP.htm

D makes an excellent point here. For liberals, IQ is all of a sudden a big deal if it means protecting their precious lil' blackies from execution. But if it means explaining why they don't get the same school scores, it's censored.

I'm still waiting for wonderwench or any of the other liberals on this board to tell my how homosexuality can be genetically determined, but racial differences can't.

Originally posted by William Joyce
D makes an excellent point here. For liberals, IQ is all of a sudden a big deal if it means protecting their precious lil' blackies from execution. But if it means explaining why they don't get the same school scores, it's censored.

I'm still waiting for wonderwench or any of the other liberals on this board to tell my how homosexuality can be genetically determined, but racial differences can't.
This shows when you have the truth and the facts in a issue sooner or later in a debate you will win out over others who just have there hopes, dreams and opinions and what they think are the way things should be..

And the part that, if you are a decent human being and not a racist bigot, you have been dreading: American blacks average a standard deviation lower in IQ than American whites at about 85. And it gets worse: the average IQ of African blacks is lower still, not far above what is considered the threshold of mental retardation in the U.S. And yes, it's genetic; g seems to be about 85% heritable, and recent studies of effects like regression towards the mean suggest strongly that most of the heritability is DNA rather than nurturance effects.

For anyone who believe that racial equality is an important goal, this is absolutely horrible news. Which is why a lot of well-intentioned people refuse to look at these facts, and will attempt to shout down anyone who speaks them in public. There have been several occasions on which leading psychometricians have had their books canceled or withdrawn by publishers who found the actual scientific evidence about IQ so appalling that they refused to print it.

Unfortunately, denial of the facts doesn't make them go away. Far from being meaningless, IQ may be the single most important statistic about human beings, in the precise sense that differences in g probably drive individual and social outcomes more than any other single measurable attribute of human beings.

Mean IQ differences do not justify making assumptions about any individual. There are African black geniuses and Ashkenazic Jewish morons; humanity and ethics demand that we meet each individual human being as an individual, without prejudice. At the same time, group differences have a significance too great to ignore. In the U.S., blacks are 12% of the population but commit 50% of violent crimes; can anyone honestly think this is unconnected to the fact that they average 15 points of IQ lower than the general population? That stupid people are more violent is a fact independent of skin color.

And that is actually a valuable hint about how to get beyond racism. A black man with an IQ of 85 and a white man with an IQ of 85 are about equally likely to have the character traits of poor impulse control and violent behavior associated with criminality — and both are far more likely to have them than a white or black man with an IQ of 110. If we could stop being afraid of IQ and face up to it, that would give us an objective standard that would banish racism per se. IQ matters so much more than skin color that if we started paying serious attention to the former, we might be able to stop paying attention to the latter.

Originally posted by Big D
Mean IQ differences do not justify making assumptions about any individual. There are African black geniuses and Ashkenazic Jewish morons; humanity and ethics demand that we meet each individual human being as an individual, without prejudice.

WOW!!!!!

This one sentence is the only thing you've posted on these boards that I agree with! Congratulations for venturing into the mainstream of human thinking!

Originally posted by gop_jeff
WOW!!!!!

This one sentence is the only thing you've posted on these boards that I agree with! Congratulations for venturing into the mainstream of human thinking!
You don't agree with this part that follows?

At the same time, group differences have a significance too great to ignore. In the U.S., blacks are 12% of the population but commit 50% of violent crimes; can anyone honestly think this is unconnected to the fact that they average 15 points of IQ lower than the general population? That stupid people are more violent is a fact independent of skin color.

You don't agree with this part that follows?

At the same time, group differences have a significance too great to ignore. In the U.S., blacks are 12% of the population but commit 50% of violent crimes; can anyone honestly think this is unconnected to the fact that they average 15 points of IQ lower than the general population? That stupid people are more violent is a fact independent of skin color.

No. I am not going to look at a black man (or woman) and automatically assume that they are stupider than me and more violent than me, because I have no idea who that person is. Now I may make that assumption based on a person's clothing, their language, their walk, their car, or a combonation of all these things - but I don't just assume that a black person I meet on the street is an ignorant thug, as you would want to group them.

You can look at any person the way you want, but that does not and will not change the facts about this issue.

The fact is that blacks by far have a lower IQ average then any other group.

I also refuse to use statistical data in my life. Even though sense tells me I won't win the lottery, I still play.

You can look at any person the way you want, but that does not and will not change the facts about this issue.

The fact is that blacks by far have a lower IQ average then any other group.

So therefore don't associate with Blacks or Mexicans because they are all stupid and criminals. OK EVERYBODY FINALLY UNDERSTAND WHAT BIG D IS ALL ABOUT? Can we now ignore his flame posts and move on to actual pertinent topics?

Originally posted by rtwngAvngr
I also refuse to use statistical data in my life. Even though sense tells me I won't win the lottery, I still play.
Sure, you don't have to use any statistical data in your life for anything, thats your choice. How much statistical data is there about smoking? And people still continue to smoke.

My only point is that the statistical data that I have posted is true.

I'm a Democrat.

The premise behind creating a law that prohibits retarded people from the death penalty protects our government from killing people who don't have the mental capacity to discern the outcome of their actions. Would you sentence a 5 year old to death? In essence, the law states that their actions are not their fault. In some cases, this is a good law. It's obviously overplayed. The law shouldn't be questioned, the enforcement should be. Maybe the law has too many loopholes.

The death penalty should be used sparingly. I believe that the government could frame a citizen for murder, as they did with Lee Harvey Oswald, who would have definitely received the death penalty. The death penalty should be reserved for those involved multiple killings (serial killers) and those responsible for genocide for protective reasons. There should be DNA proof, where possible. Bin Laden and Hussein should receive this penalty. Hitler would have been the right candiate for this penalty as well. The Oklahoma bomber, as well, fits the profile.

The risks of falsely killing all convicted killers is too high and the system blows. How much money is spent on the whole process? If it isn't done within, say, a year, the connection between the crime and the penalty is, for the most part, forgotten.

Originally posted by thesolution

If [the death penalty isn't carried out] within, say, a year, the connection between the crime and the penalty is, for the most part, forgotten.

On that point, I agree with you a thousand percent. I know I'm digressing a bit, but there are those who would argue against the deterrent value of the death penalty.

I submit that, unless the consequences of a crime are swift and certain, we cannot really know the deterrent value of the punishment. When a man is sentenced to die in 2004, and is in the ground in 2005, let's start collecting data.

Forum List

Back