IQ and Religiosity

Those with high IQ's are able to handle paradox, metaphor, and analogy. All of which are needed to make sense out of spiritual teachings when they are subtle.

Having a high IQ is not necessary for enlightenment. Buddhist stories are full of simple people with strong faith following a simple practice and getting the ultimate result.

Last edited:
Actually ... just because the "facts" agree with you doesn't make them fact ... :eusa_whistle:

img.php

Fact is, people with higher IQs do not follow the crowd, period, whether speaking religiously

Hence the inverse correlation between IQ and religiosity ;)

Unlike you, I base my positions upon the facts and not upon ignorant ideology and hippie philosophies you heard uttered by some stoner lying in its own filth.

Actually ... just because the "facts" agree with you doesn't make them fact ... :eusa_whistle:

img.php

Fact is, people with higher IQs do not follow the crowd, period, whether speaking religiously

Hence the inverse correlation between IQ and religiosity ;)

Unlike you, I base my positions upon the facts and not upon ignorant ideology and hippie philosophies you heard uttered by some stoner lying in its own filth.

Um ... no ... you clearly are a moron ... just having religious beliefs does not make you a follower, nor does the absence of belief make you a thinker. You are the perfect example of a science zealot who does nothing but follow what others tell you, thus your IQ cannot be more than average. Also, your idiotic accusations do nothing to improve your position and offer nothing more than firepower against your ... well ... idiotic assumptions and assertions. The fact that you don't even get the analogy was bad enough, add to it the fact that you think mine are "hippie" analogies makes you look even more foolish and perhaps I misjudged you, perhaps I gave you even more credit than you deserve ... again. I would guestimate your IQ at about 100 now.

Quote:
I also am not convinced that IQ is a really good measurement of Intelligence. I know alot of people who have high IQs who are totally stupid on a number of important matters.
IQ measures neither education nor 'wisdom'. When discussing IQ, it is usually the G Factor being discussed.

That is an important distinction.

Quite a few very smart people believe in very stupid things. Arthur Conan Doyle being the poster boy for this. So while IQ mesures capacity, it doesn't measure how it is used.

IQ might be compared here to the capacity of a computer. I have a fancier machine than my cousin who works for the BPA, but he does trig functions and helps run the power grid... Me, I just watch Korean TV and post on message boards. So there might be lots of smart believers, and lots of dumb believers, but what counts is how you work what you have.

Quote:
I also am not convinced that IQ is a really good measurement of Intelligence. I know alot of people who have high IQs who are totally stupid on a number of important matters.
IQ measures neither education nor 'wisdom'. When discussing IQ, it is usually the G Factor being discussed.

That is an important distinction.

Quite a few very smart people believe in very stupid things. Arthur Conan Doyle being the poster boy for this. So while IQ mesures capacity, it doesn't measure how it is used.

IQ might be compared here to the capacity of a computer. I have a fancier machine than my cousin who works for the BPA, but he does trig functions and helps run the power grid... Me, I just watch Korean TV and post on message boards. So there might be lots of smart believers, and lots of dumb believers, but what counts is how you work what you have.

:eusa_eh: Do you even understand what IQ is? Have you ever in your entire life taken one of the tests?

Um ... no ... you clearly are a moron ...

I have a feeling you're about to provide more evidence to the reverse..

j
ust having religious beliefs does not make you a follower, nor does the absence of belief make you a thinker.
Cite where I said 'having religious beliefs makes one always a follower' :lol:

The reality of the matter is that you still have no refutation to present and you're desperately hoping that these ad homs will distract people from that fact.

When you can present a logical and intelligent refutation of the evidence i have provided, you may speak. Until then, you're clearly neither smart enough nor informed enough to participate in any intellectual discussion regarding the matter at hand.

re·li·gi·os·i·ty (r-lj-s-t)
n.
1. The quality of being religious.
2. Excessive or affected piety.

You said people with religious belief have low IQ, while it is common knowledge in Mensa that those who follow what is offered blindly, be it religion or science, always have lower IQs. Thus, according to logic you are asserting that people with religious beliefs are followers and not leaders/thinkers. Keep moving the goal posts and back pedaling, it makes you look like a liar as well as ignorant.

You said people with religious belief have low IQ
Statistically- and I have provided the evidence to prove it- and it is you who assumes I follow because you are ignorant seek a route by which you might insult my intelligence. Of course, if I'm such a follower, you should have no problem pointing to whom I follow and summarize by ideology and worldview in three sentences or less.

It is you who is shown to be the disingenuous liar that you are.

Statistically- and I have provided the evidence to prove it- and it is you who assumes I follow because you are ignorant seek a route by which you might insult my intelligence. Of course, if I'm such a follower, you should have no problem pointing to whom I follow and summarize by ideology and worldview in three sentences or less.

No, you have shown by state IQ levels ... nothing about how much religious belief is involved. Your IQ just dropped to 90.

I don't like this post but I don't want to neg rep you for it either. Do you try to cause trouble with people who have a spiritual path?

:eusa_eh: Do you even understand what IQ is? Have you ever in your entire life taken one of the tests?

I got a 112. It is a measure of how well you can take presented information and process it.

I am just saying that because you have the capacity, does not mean you use it at a high level. (Well, you personally do, this is not aimed at you, you know)

Agnopostate is a great example of the disconnect between IQ and being smart. He is widely read (he has a tendency to do text dumps of his material) and pretty quick with some good responses. So he is not an ignorant unintelligent jackass. He is actually an erudite quick thinking jackass.

And there is the matter of information presented. If all read is one kind of material, then you will have a very limited understanding.

I got a 112. It is a measure of how well you can take presented information and process it.

I am just saying that because you have the capacity, does not mean you use it at a high level. (Well, you personally do, this is not aimed at you, you know)

Agnopostate is a great example of the disconnect between IQ and being smart. He is widely read (he has a tendency to do text dumps of his material) and pretty quick with some good responses. So he is not an ignorant unintelligent jackass. He is actually an erudite quick thinking jackass.

And there is the matter of information presented. If all read is one kind of material, then you will have a very limited understanding.

I misquoted, that really wasn't suppose to be to you, my bad. :razz:

Actually, now that I look back I see where I thought it was you ... the first two lines that were truncated in your reply to me, particularly the part of this:

"Quite a few very smart people believe in very stupid things. Arthur Conan Doyle being the poster boy for this. So while IQ mesures capacity, it doesn't measure how it is used."

Not sure who posted that now.

Poor KK is unable to read the graph. Please read the title of the X axis aloud for the class, then shut up and have a seat in the corner and put on the dunce cap.

Poor KK is unable to read the graph. Please read the title of the X axis aloud for the class, then shut up and have a seat in the corner and put on the dunce cap.

That isn't proof, that is still assumption. Like all statistics they made a false connection by using circumstantial data. I can tell you without any hint of doubt that in Washington state we hold religion as extremely important, though our non-christian population exceeds the christian one by a huge number we are still very religious. I bet they didn't even count us non-christians .... hell, they probably didn't even include the agnostics. There is a pagan store every two blocks here, several muslim/pagan/Egyptian shops as well, and with rents in downtown they have to make a lot of sales to remain there. We have 8 faith based papers that sell more than any of our mainstream papers have (I know, a paradox really, but meh). So yeah, whatever data they used was not even close to "solid" ... I can fill this board with a million more reasons why Washington is incorrectly placed. I am sure others could do so for their home states as well. Then, to top it all off, the site your "facts" came from are not even connected to anything scientific at all, nor do they break down their stats at all, they just want you to have faith that they are being honest. So you are following your preachers well, now your IQ is at 70.

That isn't proof, that is still assumption. Like all statistics they made a false connection by using circumstantial data.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/scien...ntative-study-of-white-adolescent-americ.html

*yawn*

I tire of trying to educate the willfully ignorant and pitifully stuid (you)

That isn't proof, that is still assumption. Like all statistics they made a false connection by using circumstantial data.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/scien...ntative-study-of-white-adolescent-americ.html

*yawn*

I tire of trying to educate the willfully ignorant and pitifully stuid (you)

You didn't read the whole post ... :eusa_whistle:

Actually, now that I look back I see where I thought it was you ... the first two lines that were truncated in your reply to me, particularly the part of this:

"Quite a few very smart people believe in very stupid things. Arthur Conan Doyle being the poster boy for this. So while IQ mesures capacity, it doesn't measure how it is used."

Not sure who posted that now.

That was me, I munged the quote function because I usually just post the quick post feature.

While not religious myself, I understand the religious impulse. We want to believe in a higher power who cares about us. there are lots of ways to do this. One can believe in a particular Gd, or in the healing properties of pretty rocks or shiny glass, or whatever floats your boat. Christianity is a better way of handling this need than pretty rocks.

Religion is not about logic. Even the dumbest yokel, if obliged to state his beliefs in a candid manner would find them horribly stupid. Religion is about health and need. Which we all have, and religious expression in terms of charity and going to sing a longs once a week deals with the issue neatly.

Forum List

Back