IQ and Religiosity

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by JBeukema, Jun 28, 2009.

1. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    There are plenty of Religion vs IQ by country statistics out there. Unfortunately its easy to poke holes in IQ tests when administered across cultures. To add something new to the evidence:

Congratulations Mississippi, you're the least intelligent AND most religious state!

State IQ compared with % answering Yes to "Is religion an important part of your daily life?":

[​IMG]

State IQ statistics from McDaniel Estimating State IQ
    Religious importance statistics from Gallop - State of the States:

2. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Intelligent people tend to be more religious.

3. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    At least as interesting is the obvious NORTH SOUTH difference in IQ and religiosity outcomes, too.

The correlation isn't quite so pronounced but it's fairly obvious, isn't it?

I'd love to see this done as an median IQ to median latitude graph.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. sidneyworld

sidneyworld Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29

True faith is a very private matter. Religion is a very public practice. This is what separates the follower from the leader. Not to say that those who practice religion and keep to its cannons and observances are insincere or ignorant, but many people can be pursuaded to allow others to think for them. At some point they begin to understand what they are being motivated to believe and it's at that point, hopefully, where an assessment can be made as to the legitimacy and viability of such a practice.

I actually agree that the more well rounded, educated person is not easily drawn into endorsing various ideologies, no less completely embracing them. Especially on matters of blind faith and religion. But intelligence has less to do with this than experience. To understand religion and faith you have to understand human nature and have questioned your own existence which is likely that 90% of the entire population of the planet has done at some point in their lives. This is where mankind reaches beyond conventional intelligence.

It is completely illogical to discount the spiritual realm of our existence. It is far more ignorant to conclude that there is no life on other planets, or that the Bible is a complete fabrication, or even that we evolved from apes, or that life began by a big bang theory because none of this can be positively evidenced. And like everything else, the burden of proof lies on the doubter, the skeptic, not the believer.

The bottom line here is that there is a greater value in believing in the possibility of something, than to completely discount things which are difficult if not impossible to explain no matter how advanced science believes it has become. This perspective on life is far more intelligent than placing theories in a box essentially grounding mankind to potentially greater discovery.

Anne Marie

5. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    For once, you have said something smart :)

Incorrect. It is logical to deny any such thing exists, based on the lack of conclusive evidence supporting the hypothesis thtany such thing exists.

It is perfectly logical to conclude that there is no conclusive evidence for life currently living on another planet
    Hitorical fiction, actually
    Humans didn't evolve from apes. Human are apes. In fact, we're great apes.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpNeGuuuvTY&feature=PlayList&p=019F146277A3EDFD&index=0&playnext=1"]Here, Don will gonover the basics for you[/ame]

Noone said that a theory caused life :rolleyes:

Nor does TBBT address the beginnings of life

Big Bang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All available evidence supports these models

Wrong. Like everything else, the burden of proof rests with the person making the assertion or contradicting established scientific principles. This is a very basic principle when it comes to logical, intelligent discussion.

6. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,439
    Actually, I kinda think that because humans are herd animals, the reason that the scores are so low, is because the education system in the lower areas SUCKS. What I'd learned in 6th grade in Montana, my ex wife learned in 11th in Tennessee.

And........because we're herd animals, as well as the fact that we always also look for the easier way, that is how the religion sucks you in.

Me? I've got a decent education, and a fairly high IQ, but.......I still believe in God.

7. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,719
    I'm not sure that I agree with your research (sic). Way back when I was just getting by making $77.00 every two weeks in the military I believed in God. Today, I am retired, college educated, and still have an income of close to $200,000 a year and my belief in God remains. I must be the exception, huh?

8. sidneyworld

sidneyworld Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29

9. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705

And innumerable people have been spared wrongful persecution because evidence was demanded

Why are you babbling about the legal system?

I cite every religion as evidence against your claim

Your god is power and tyranny

thanks to ignorance and religion

If there's a point to your rambling, it's hidden pretty well.

10. ABikerSailor

ABikerSailor Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,439
    You know Butt Sniffer, you are as adamant that God doesn't exist as the Christians are that He does!

Whodathunkit? A radical atheist spreading the word of science!

If we believe in God, does that mean that you'll try to have us executed like the Muslims do with the gays?