Ipad for second grader

I don't know about that... 2nd grade text books are typically free as long as you give them back at the end of the year.

Although college textbooks are a whole different story.

textbooks are not free to the taxpayer and they are replaced every so often.

On-line books, in the end, will be less expensive.

If high schools go on-line there will be less need for brick and mortar. think of the savings in utilities and transportation alone.

Also, books become out of date and information may not be accurate. Editing a book online is more economical.

Yet etextbooks still cost hundreds of dollars. Care to explain how that works in a free market? wait, schools are not a free market, are they?

So my girlfriends daughter just started in her new school yesterday. Next year she will be in the 2nd grade. They told her mom that next year she will be required to have an Ipad. WTF?

What school does she go to? Do they supply the iPads? Why should parents subsidize Apple when there are less expensive options that do the same thing?

They dont supply the Ipads, but order them as a group and gets discounts. I thought about maybe the just needed a tablet, but my gf said they were pretty clear about the Ipad. Maybe they all get the same thing that runs to one system? I figured there has got to be a good reason for that. There are poverty stricken households in this city. Got to do what you got to do I guess. Maybe the school helps the less fortunate..

You are correct sir. You did not provide a link showing this to be true. Good catch!

So my girlfriends daughter just started in her new school yesterday. Next year she will be in the 2nd grade. They told her mom that next year she will be required to have an Ipad. WTF?

What school does she go to? Do they supply the iPads? Why should parents subsidize Apple when there are less expensive options that do the same thing?

They dont supply the Ipads, but order them as a group and gets discounts. I thought about maybe the just needed a tablet, but my gf said they were pretty clear about the Ipad. Maybe they all get the same thing that runs to one system? I figured there has got to be a good reason for that. There are poverty stricken households in this city. Got to do what you got to do I guess. Maybe the school helps the less fortunate..

The "good" reason is that Apple charges about twice what it costs to build an iPad from scratch and then discounts them for schools to win points with teachers unions. There is nothing an iPad can do that I cannot duplicate on another product. If they try to argue their network only works with Apple products they are lying. Even an deliberately obstructive IT worker cannot set up a system that prevents me from using a tablet running another OS.

You are correct sir. You did not provide a link showing this to be true. Good catch!

I also caught you were ignorant. And that was easier than trying to catch a bucket of water out of the ocean

Dude, my mom is a teacher, and they stuff kids can do on computers these days...holy shit. They don't even use chalk boards or white boards anymore.

7 and 8 year olds do not need i pads to learn.

in fact kids learn better without all the doodads and gadgets.

Good luck with the "my dog ate my iPad" excuse.

It's even better. Nothing easier than, "what? you didn't get my email? must be a problem with X," or "my connection was down," or "my system crashed." Endless possibilities. First college students, and now high schoolers have already mastered these techniques, and they will no doubt filter down to the earliest grades.

Last edited:
the skinny I'm hearing is that in the future all textbooks will be online.

no lockers needed

online classes next or go to brick and mortar every other day

kids get to stay at home with mom and dad :D

I'll be retired by then so I don't give a shit either way

All the texts used in the two districts I sub in are online. The texts actually remain in the classrooms-no carrying them back and forth. No need for the school to buy copies and extras for each class, 50 copies and they are done. Access to the online is included in purchasing of the texts and teacher's editions and support materials.

Much of the assessment materials can also be completed and graded online. Indeed, enrichment materials are also found, based on supplementary materials the classroom teacher may not have time to utilize, but interested students or parents may find useful.

I don't know about that... 2nd grade text books are typically free as long as you give them back at the end of the year.

Although college textbooks are a whole different story.

textbooks are not free to the taxpayer and they are replaced every so often.

On-line books, in the end, will be less expensive.

If high schools go on-line there will be less need for brick and mortar. think of the savings in utilities and transportation alone.

I don't think that online texts are any threat to 'brick and mortar' schools. Same issue, one can lead the horse to water. . .

The school and/or teacher determines to some degree which supplementals are available to students. For myself I'd make 'lecture notes' and 'enrichment activities/suggestions' available to all. Many of the texts are state editions, meaning the suggestions of 'field trips' are often within a reasonable day trip. Obviously the school is not going to accomodate all those, but the parents may choose to include more of them, as a family.

At this time some teachers haven't come to apprectiate how this has unchaines them in many ways, leaving time for adding practice and introducing materials that support their lessons, leaving the student to read relevant materials from text at home. The teacher can give 'homework points' based on the students 'time on lesson' recorded at site. Yes, we all know that some can 'log in and sign on', then go to other sites. But when parent conferences come up, there is independent documentation that the student claimed to have completed X.

The online versions can much more readily be differentiated by the teacher for groups of students based upon performance. The top 5% can be given one lesson, prepared by teacher based on some online resources.

The next 15% a slightly different lesson, based upon the same materials.

The next 15% may use the same readings, but the lesson adjusted further to have a bit less depth, be completed in less time...

So it goes.

Obviously there is the quandry found in the 1910's and 20's regarding 'new inventions' that were to 'free up house duties,' but changed the standards of what was to be accomplished.

The "good" reason is that Apple charges about twice what it costs to build an iPad from scratch and then discounts them for schools to win points with teachers unions. There is nothing an iPad can do that I cannot duplicate on another product. If they try to argue their network only works with Apple products they are lying. Even an deliberately obstructive IT worker cannot set up a system that prevents me from using a tablet running another OS.

I could be off base here, I only work with high school and middle school students. The students have no problem switching and adapting between lab pc's, notebooks, laptops and their smartphones. Tell them 'use whatever app' and complete x at this site. Done.'

2nd graders need direct instructions regarding steps. Different products, would require different steps. Ipads are intuitive, even an average 7 year old will understand what to do after a few experiences. That's not true of some of the less expensive ones.

I'm not defending or pushing Apple, just the truth of differences between most 7 year olds and most 14 year olds.

I don't see a whole lot of difference between requiring an Ipad today, and the requirement when I entered jr high back when, to have a specific Texas Instruments calculator, priced then over $150. That was much more expensive than an Ipad today.

7 and 8 year olds do not need i pads to learn.

in fact kids learn better without all the doodads and gadgets.

They do NOT need any one tool to learn, I agree. That they learn better without? Debatable. I do agree though that one needs to get them past the point of 'how cool is this tech' and into the materials they are being exposed to.

Remember dissecting worms, frogs, fetal pigs? Now it's all virtual. No more formaldehyde vapors in the science lab sections. Good thing, environmentally.

I know that my students have benefited academically by having exposure to more than a few sentences in texts of 'first hand accounts' in history. Using the Avalon Project, they have been required to read the whole document of certain time periods and make the connections between then and now.

My subject matter is history, sociology, and political science. Most texts include some quotes from first hand accounts, then go on and on. Today the teacher can make the focus in class of primary documents, using parts of the texts to help the students understanding rise to the level of analysis and synthesis. Of course, the ability of the students still needs to be addressed. Again, the guidance through understanding of the individual student is enhanced with technology. I can easily slip in links to sites that challenge or simplify the materials of individuals or 'groups' of students. Same with 'assessment projects.' The needs for both the gifted and 'higher-achieving' special needs students can be addressed, as well as the more populous average.

Forum List

Back