Ipad for second grader

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
So my girlfriends daughter just started in her new school yesterday. Next year she will be in the 2nd grade. They told her mom that next year she will be required to have an Ipad. WTF?

So my girlfriends daughter just started in her new school yesterday. Next year she will be in the 2nd grade. They told her mom that next year she will be required to have an Ipad. WTF?

I do not object to kids having tablets but I think they should go with Android tablets. The iPad is definitely over priced.

But one thing about the technology is that educators don't say much about what to load on them and they do not talk about this:

Bennett <- Link

And that was 1987.

We could have had a National Recommended Reading List decades before we had cheap computers.

psik

It is just weird I guess. Things change. Whats next? Cursive to stop being taught? lol

That's a great idea making kids get iPads. Not only does the school district get a kick back on the sales of them, but now the kids can lose ALL their books at one time instead of just one at a time.

Or a kid can just "accidentally" throw the thing on the ground and claim it doesn't work.

But it's all worth it in the end because America is #1 in Education right?

That's a great idea making kids get iPads. Not only does the school district get a kick back on the sales of them, but now the kids can lose ALL their books at one time instead of just one at a time.

Or a kid can just "accidentally" throw the thing on the ground and claim it doesn't work.

But it's all worth it in the end because America is #1 in Education right?

For the recalcitrant or problem student this may be the course of action taken. Nevertheless, technology is here to stay. Children can be taught many things including language, music and arts. The "iPad" is simply a tool, it does not replace standard learning or skill development.

My son is in first grade I am getting a Windows Surface Pro I will allow him to use it. In his classroom touch screens are the norm and computer classes started in kindergarten.

Im assuming she goes to a private school?

Requiring an iPad is not different than requiring a computer.

Nope, public. But it is the number 2 elementary school in the state. If that means anything

the skinny I'm hearing is that in the future all textbooks will be online.

no lockers needed

online classes next or go to brick and mortar every other day

kids get to stay at home with mom and dad :D

I'll be retired by then so I don't give a shit either way

Second graders need IPads, if second graders don't have IPads who will the third graders steal them from?

they use the internet now to access homework assignments, upload assignments to their school websites and even facebook, and take notes and will probably have apps that they use.

also, apple gives discounts to students and allows parents to pay off their purchases if they need to.

when my son started school, they needed access to computers/printers/internet.

the iPad is cheaper

I don't know about that... 2nd grade text books are typically free as long as you give them back at the end of the year.

Although college textbooks are a whole different story.

textbooks are not free to the taxpayer and they are replaced every so often.

On-line books, in the end, will be less expensive.

If high schools go on-line there will be less need for brick and mortar. think of the savings in utilities and transportation alone.

I don't know about that... 2nd grade text books are typically free as long as you give them back at the end of the year.

Although college textbooks are a whole different story.

textbooks are not free to the taxpayer and they are replaced every so often.

On-line books, in the end, will be less expensive.

If high schools go on-line there will be less need for brick and mortar. think of the savings in utilities and transportation alone.

Also, books become out of date and information may not be accurate. Editing a book online is more economical.

What school does she go to? Do they supply the iPads? Why should parents subsidize Apple when there are less expensive options that do the same thing?

Im assuming she goes to a private school?

Requiring an iPad is not different than requiring a computer.

There is a difference, iPads are a lot easier to loose than a desktop computer. Not to mention we are talking 2nd grade here, most kids that age loose their shoes, and those are tied to their feet.

they use the internet now to access homework assignments, upload assignments to their school websites and even facebook, and take notes and will probably have apps that they use.

also, apple gives discounts to students and allows parents to pay off their purchases if they need to.

when my son started school, they needed access to computers/printers/internet.

the iPad is cheaper

I can get a new computer for less than $300, how much do you think iPads cost?

Forum List

Back