Iowa warns international observers of arrest

so your argument is that they are here to harrass conservatives, but they're not political.

:clap2:

brilliant

No. My argument is that the President invited them precisely because they ARE political.

If they see any "conservative" behavior which can be shaped into something suspicious, they will "document" and "report."

But if they see any "liberal" behavior which IS flatly improper, hey, that's none of their concern.

But just because the President hopes to make some political hay out of using them doesn't make the OSCE boys and girls a "political organization."

Nice try, though, del.

Maybe a nappy would help? :D

so they're an apolitical, political organization.

thanks for clearing that up.

you look good in tin foil, btw.

You look like your old self in your selection of Obtuse-wear™.

They can be as political as all hell and yet not part of a political organization as intended by that Iowa law.

But pretend you can't grasp that.

I don't recommend your Obtuse-wear™ Onesies® though. It's really not flattering to your "figure."

Believe as you wish, but if these observers are on diplomatic passports and have immunity from prosecution then unlawfully arresting them means the individual ordering such an arrest could face (IIRC) federal prison.

Well just have to see next Tuesday.

>>>>

If they had diplomatic passports, that would indeed be true. However, no one in this debate is contending they do, and it appears unlikely since they aren't even officially associated with the UN.

No. My argument is that the President invited them precisely because they ARE political.

If they see any "conservative" behavior which can be shaped into something suspicious, they will "document" and "report."

But if they see any "liberal" behavior which IS flatly improper, hey, that's none of their concern.

But just because the President hopes to make some political hay out of using them doesn't make the OSCE boys and girls a "political organization."

Nice try, though, del.

Maybe a nappy would help? :D

They can be as political as all hell and yet not part of a political organization as intended by that Iowa law.

I don't recommend your Obtuse-wear™ Onesies® though. It's really not flattering to your "figure."

thanks

it's funny how no one gave a shit when bush invited them here.

any thoughts on that?

That's a pretty big "if."

On the other hand, if they are here as diplomats or are part of some embassy or consulate, then I would presume that they are covered by diplomatic immunity. In that event, it would be stupid of Iowa law enforcement officers or Texas' law enforcement officers to arrest them.

If they had diplomatic passports, that would indeed be true. However, no one in this debate is contending they do, and it appears unlikely since they aren't even officially associated with the UN.

Don't have a dog in the fight, but reports are that the State Department has confirmed they do have diplomatic immunity, which one assumes they would then be traveling on a diplomatic passport. Just as our diplomats do when they are observing in other countries.

"The U.S. State Department was dragged into the fray Thursday, telling reporters in Washington that Texas officials had been reassured OSCE would comply with state laws. The department added that the elections observers are afforded diplomatic immunity.

"In general we give them protected status, as we expect of our people when we participate in OSCE delegations," department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said."

Defiant Texas AG wants to keep poll observers out - US News and World Report

If I remember correctly, you don't have to associated with the UN to be on a diplomatic passport. For example a Foreign Services Officer could be posted to Japan, have nothing to do with the UN and still be on a diplomatic passport.

>>>>

Last edited:
Federal law trumps state law on the issue of international observers. Go read. The state officials are going to have to suck it up. Tis what tis.

LGS is going on ignore: she simply offers nothing of import or consequence. She lost her gunfight at the Starkey Corral.

In the past, some observers have acted up and some left unpaid parking tickets and such.

I think Texas and Iowa are saying we won't tolerate them breaking laws while here to observe the elections.

If they need to come, they should respect all of our laws and not get in the way. Obama reminded states that they have diplomatic immunity, so no one can touch them if they break laws. I have a huge problem with that because there will always be some who will deliberately abuse that.

thanks

it's funny how no one gave a shit when bush invited them here.

any thoughts on that?

Actually, del, I think THAT is a fair question.

I can't speak for others. But personally, I didn't know at the time that W had invited foreign "observers" to come and "monitor" any of our elections. Had I known of it then, I would have noted my objection, then.

That's a pretty big "if."

On the other hand, if they are here as diplomats or are part of some embassy or consulate, then I would presume that they are covered by diplomatic immunity. In that event, it would be stupid of Iowa law enforcement officers or Texas' law enforcement officers to arrest them.

Don't have a dog in the fight, but reports are that the State Department has confirmed they do have diplomatic immunity, which one assumes they would then be traveling on a diplomatic passport. Just as our diplomats do when they are observing in other countries.

"The U.S. State Department was dragged into the fray Thursday, telling reporters in Washington that Texas officials had been reassured OSCE would comply with state laws. The department added that the elections observers are afforded diplomatic immunity.

"In general we give them protected status, as we expect of our people when we participate in OSCE delegations," department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said."

Defiant Texas AG wants to keep poll observers out - US News and World Report

If I remember correctly, you don't have to associated with the UN to be on a diplomatic passport. For example a Foreign Services Officer could be posted to Japan, have nothing to do with the UN and still be on a diplomatic passport.

>>>>

Assuming that's accurate, I think it puts an end to this story.

IF they have diplomatic immunity, neither Iowa nor Texas (and no other state either, for that matter) should arrest them.

Edit: I am taking LGS off "ignore" because she is so much fun to tease! :lol:

Federal law trumps state law on the issue of international observers. Go read. The state officials are going to have to suck it up. Tis what tis.

LGS is going on ignore: she simply offers nothing of import or consequence. She lost her gunfight at the Starkey Corral.

Forum List

Back