Iowa deli co-owner caters for Obama visit, but his T-shirt tells another story

Or disrespectful.
I don't care what party the President belongs to, if you are asked to cater an event for the President which is a once in a lifetime gig, you have a little more respect.
Make your political pot shots a different day.

Why?

A damn good thing it was for a Democratic event and not a Republican event or he would have been arrested!!!! This is a perfect example of which Party really believes in free speech, the Dems, and which Party only lies about it, the GOP.

Wrongly Arrested Bush Protesters Talk About Their $80K Government Settlement On Hardball | Crooks and Liars

On July 4th, 2004, Jeffery and Nicole Rank attended an public Independence Day event in Charleston, WV where President Bush was to speak. Despite the fact that the event was open to the public and was held on public land, the Ranks were arrested for wearing anti-Bush t-shirts. On Monday's "Hardball" the couple told their astonishing story of being arrested, the charges that were filed against them and eventually dropped and why they decided to sue the United States government -- a suit they thankfully won.

Secret White House Manual: How to Stop Anti-Bush T-Shirts - ABC News

The settlement, in which the government admitted no wrongdoing, came after the disclosure of an allegedly "sensitive" Presidential Advance Manual, which laid out the White House’s meticulous efforts to protect the president and his public image from dissent. "As a last resort, security should remove the demonstrators from the event," the manual instructs. The government turned over a heavily redacted version of the manual to the ACLU in the course of the lawsuit. The first step to keeping demonstrators out of events, the manual tells the president’s event staff, is to encourage the Secret Service to "ask the local police department to designate a protest area…preferably not in view of the event site or the motorcade route." Watch Brian Ross’ ’04 Investigation on "Good Morning America" Inside the event space, the manual advises, White House advance personnel should preposition "rally squads" that can swarm any protesters at the event and "use their signs and banners as shields between the demonstrators and the main press platform." The rally squads can be formed using "college/young republican organizations, local athletic teams, and fraternities/sororities," the manual notes. The squads can "lead supportive chants to drown out the protesters (USA!, USA!, USA!)," it suggests.

Do you seriously want to go there? When are you going to change your user name?

Or disrespectful.
I don't care what party the President belongs to, if you are asked to cater an event for the President which is a once in a lifetime gig, you have a little more respect.

So exercising free speech to criticize our politicians, one of main reasons we have free speech, is something that is disrespectful and shouldnt be done?

Criticize politicians all you want, I never said it shouldn't be done. I saying if I was serving or making lunch for say George W Bush I wouldn't wear a t shirt attacking him.
I am not saying I would never wear the t shirt or I would never attack him. I am saying I would have enough respect to not do at that moment.
But I do love how some are trying to say I want to limit this man's freedom of speech.

I would. And I, quite honestly, don't see your point. People who run a business are getting sued if they attempt to express their political or religious viewpoints by not doing business with someone. It is reaching the point that the only freedom we have is wearing t-shirts that express our viewpoints. That is not disrespectful, forcing people to do business with people they don't want to is.

Interesting factoid from the link:

" - Murty, 45, a registered Republican, didn’t really have a choice with the catering job. His partner, Bret Dalton (a registered Democrat), accepted the work on Saturday while Murty was away in Chicago watching a Cubs game. Dalton volunteered for Vice President Biden’s presidential campaign in 1988, when he was a student at Iowa State University.

But that’s not why he got the contract.

“One of Obama’s lead people came into the deli Saturday morning,” Dalton said. “I didn’t even know it was for Obama until that night.”

When he found out, though, Dalton had some fun. He called up Murty, who was driving back from Chicago, and asked: “Guess who’s coming to town this week?” - "

Interesting factoid from the link:

" - Murty, 45, a registered Republican, didn’t really have a choice with the catering job. His partner, Bret Dalton (a registered Democrat), accepted the work on Saturday while Murty was away in Chicago watching a Cubs game. Dalton volunteered for Vice President Biden’s presidential campaign in 1988, when he was a student at Iowa State University.

But that’s not why he got the contract.

“One of Obama’s lead people came into the deli Saturday morning,” Dalton said. “I didn’t even know it was for Obama until that night.”

When he found out, though, Dalton had some fun. He called up Murty, who was driving back from Chicago, and asked: “Guess who’s coming to town this week?” - "

Even sweeter.

Speaking of context filters....

Thanks for adding your usual distorted dribble, Roz.

Quoting the guy word for word is wrong? Really?
You tell me.

"We are racists, sexists, bigots, homophobes. We discriminate against people who worship differently than we do, have skin color different from ours, and we have not always behaved properly in the world. And we torture."
- Rush Limbaugh

Yep, that is us, everyone who disagrees with Obama.

Or disrespectful.

The problem with this is that it continues the idea that our elected officials are like celebrities: larger than life figures that should people should be wide-eyed at. In reality, he works for us. He's a public servant.

Also consider that Obama was there campaigning. His sole purpose for being there was to tell everyone how great he is and why they should vote for him. And it's disrespectful for the business owner to show his disagreement? ...on his own property?

Last edited:
That says it all! People who actually work in the private sector, especially those with any bottom line responsibility know how repugnant Obama's remarks were and this Deli owner was clearly offended by Obama's outrageous anti-business remark. It's perfect!

Obama Flufflers and their Context Filter will tell us the polar opposite.

In sales people are using he comments to get them in the door of small businesses today. It was perceived as an attack on small business, even many state workers that deal with small businesses thought it was an attack.

At the very least, it was an insult to the hard work, risks taken, and sweat it takes to build a successful business. Even when the entire speech is listened to, even understanding what the main gist of his speech was about, it was still a slap in the face to busnessmen and women everywhere.

It was a real insult, it's worse than telling a union worker they are paid to much.

Business men are not going to forget the slap in the face. They are pissed. Instead of justifying his stance Obama need to apologize to make it better, instead he is justifying and he is pissing off those that supported him last term.

and he was allowed to cater the event and no one messed with him.

Gee I guess we know who the fair party is

You tell me.

"We are racists, sexists, bigots, homophobes. We discriminate against people who worship differently than we do, have skin color different from ours, and we have not always behaved properly in the world. And we torture."
- Rush Limbaugh

“If you've got a business, you didn't build that. Somebody else made that happen”

Barack Hussein Obama
If you want to take the focus off this statement what Obama said is even more outrageous
because his whole point was to ridicule business owners.I am not a business owner and I took offense to the whole speech.

This President has made it very clear how he feels about businesses...
Time we let him know how we feel about him remaining as President.
Well there is where you subconsciously expose the fact that you know you are deliberately misrepresenting what Obama said because he actually said what his point was!!!

"The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together."
- Barack Obama

If you want to put this in context put it into context.

There are a lot of wealthy, successful Americans who agree with me -- because they want to give something back. They know they didn’t -- look, if you’ve been successful, you didn’t get there on your own. You didn’t get there on your own. I’m always struck by people who think, well, it must be because I was just so smart. There are a lot of smart people out there. It must be because I worked harder than everybody else. Let me tell you something -- there are a whole bunch of hardworking people out there.

If you were successful, somebody along the line gave you some help. There was a great teacher somewhere in your life. Somebody helped to create this unbelievable American system that we have that allowed you to thrive. Somebody invested in roads and bridges. If you’ve got a business -- you didn’t build that. Somebody else made that happen. The Internet didn’t get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet.

The point is, is that when we succeed, we succeed because of our individual initiative, but also because we do things together. There are some things, just like fighting fires, we don’t do on our own. I mean, imagine if everybody had their own fire service. That would be a hard way to organize fighting fires.

So we say to ourselves, ever since the founding of this country, you know what, there are some things we do better together. That’s how we funded the G.I. Bill. That’s how we created the middle class. That’s how we built the Golden Gate Bridge or the Hoover Dam. That’s how we invented the Internet. That’s how we sent a man to the moon. We rise or fall together as one nation and as one people, and that’s the reason I’m running for President -- because I still believe in that idea. You’re not on your own, we’re in this together.

The point, obviously, is that Obama thinks intelligence and hard work is not what makes people successful. That is what makes him wrong, and nothing you can say is going to make him right.

BTW this guys shirt is LYING about what the president said.

No he is not, it is his interpretation based on how this President has treated small business since he came into office.

He quoted the President and most small businesses feel Obama is attacking them. So, whatever Obama said, his actions speak louder than words.

You nutters wouldn't know a point if it was piercing your colon.

I opened my business in October of 2008. On Sunday, I am taking the family to a very expensive restaurant as we celebrate the $2,000,000 in sales milestone.

My year on year sales are up 20%.

Somehow, my butt is not hurt by the comments that President Obama made. Funny, huh?

Who wants to join me for a drink?

You nutters wouldn't know a point if it was piercing your colon.

I opened my business in October of 2008. On Sunday, I am taking the family to a very expensive restaurant as we celebrate the $2,000,000 in sales milestone.

My year on year sales are up 20%.

Somehow, my butt is not hurt by the comments that President Obama made. Funny, huh?

Who wants to join me for a drink?

What are you bragging about, you have done nothing. Idiot!

Forum List

Back