"Investment" in national laboratories

Dot Com

Nullius in verba
Feb 15, 2011
Fairfax, NoVA
[MENTION=22889]Matthew[/MENTION]- not all of our tax $$$ is being given away as corporate welfare to *cough* "financial" industry-types ;) Some is being invested in science :)

Zapped! | StarDate Online
Arcs of electricity crawl over the Z Machine at Sandia National Laboratories in Albuquerque like an energetic spiderweb. Astronomers and physicists from McDonald Observatory and Sandia are using the machine, which was designed to study nuclear weapons, to simulate the atmospheres of white dwarf stars. The machine collects electricity from a standard power grid, compresses it, then stores it. It discharges that power in a burst that lasts less than 100 billionths of a second. The discharge zaps gases like those found in white dwarfs, briefly reproducing conditions on the surfaces of these hot, "dead" stars. [Sandia National Laboratories]

The "Z Machine" at Sandia (click on the yellow bar for full screen):

0RCGtF7.png

Last edited:
How many billions have been wasted by government contracts for useless research?

And, at the same time, how many modern advances have come from government-funded research?

It's not an easy question to answer.

And how many great individual inventions have hit the trash pile for a variety of reasons?

The internet you're typing over fool was invented by government research. Your wars are the waste idiot.

Amazing advancement in meteorology and space science has been funded by the government. Wasted? I'd say your wars is a waste and science is the creation of a stronger nation.

The internet you're typing over fool was invented by government research. Your wars are the waste idiot.

Amazing advancement in meteorology and space science has been funded by the government. Wasted? I'd say your wars is a waste and science is the creation of a stronger nation.

good points.

Stardate from the McDonald Observatory in Texas has podcasts on I Tunes which i d/l as well. They have 4 short segments on the Z Machine.

Last edited:
I just wonder how many useful inventions are either not completed or are held up by government regulators.

I just wonder how many useful inventions are either not completed or are held up by government regulators.

ummm..... thanks for sharing :thup: :eusa_eh:

We do need common sense regulations. Need to think about exactly why the government sector/public sector did so well in the 50's, 60's into the 70's. This is what we need.

I wonder how Edison, the Wright brothers, and Michaelangelo would do in today's climate.

yeah, this era where monopolies (Big Biz) buy out the rights to fledgling new inventions then deep six them so as to eliminate any competition to their paradigm :thup:

Last edited:
The best job in the world is a guaranteed salary with government benefits working in a lab that produces nothing but incomprehensible data designed to get more funding.

How many billions have been wasted by government contracts for useless research?

And, at the same time, how many modern advances have come from government-funded research?

It's not an easy question to answer.

And how many great individual inventions have hit the trash pile for a variety of reasons?

Learning and understanding are never "wasted efforts".

The best job in the world is a guaranteed salary with government benefits working in a lab that produces nothing but incomprehensible data designed to get more funding.

This is why right wingers can't be educated for skilled jobs. They spew this nonsense proving to the world they will never be good for anything more than mucking out shit from stables. And even for that, most are simply too lazy.

This is why right wingers can't be educated for skilled jobs. They spew this nonsense proving to the world they will never be good for anything more than mucking out shit from stables. And even for that, most are simply too lazy.

yep, intellectually lazy. Its their old, failed, way or the highway.

they have a magnetic field around the high energy generator but they have a lot more work to do to achieve the desired results. From the OP:
The machine collects electricity from a standard power grid, compresses it, then stores it. It discharges that power in a burst that lasts less than 100 billionths of a second. The discharge zaps gases like those found in white dwarfs, briefly reproducing conditions on the surfaces of these hot, "dead" stars.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back