Investment and climate change

I know very little about investing, and who is and is not considered good advisors, but here is what one group has to say on investing and climate change.

Trillions of dollars at stake from climate change

Climate change increases uncertainty for long term institutional investors and as such, needs to be pro-actively managed.
Investment opportunities in low carbon technologies could reach $5 trillion.
The cost of impacts on the physical environment, health and food security could exceed $4 trillion.
Climate change related policy changes could increase the cost of carbon emissions by as much as $8 trillion.
Increasing allocation to “climate sensitive” assets will help to mitigate risks and capture new opportunities.
Engagement with policy makers is crucial for institutional investors to pro-actively manage the potential costs of delayed and poorly co-ordinated climate policy action.
Policy developments at the country level will produce new investment opportunities as well as risks that need to be constantly monitored.
The EU and China/East Asia are set to lead investment in low carbon technology and efficiency improvements over the coming decades.

The main thing that poses risks to investors is the usual - leftwingers meddling in markets, which as with the financial near-collapse usually ends in some level of disaster.

Climate change to speed up polar melting...
:eusa_eh:
Polar Scientist Charts Melting Caused by Climate Change
August 12, 2011 - Expects accelerated thawing to continue unless greenhouse-gas emissions are reduced
Michael Gooseff follows water to the end of the earth. The Pennsylvania State University hydrologist works in remote regions of the Arctic and Antarctic, where ice and frozen ground are thawing. He expects polar warming and melting to continue at an accelerating pace if no significant reductions are made in climate-changing greenhouse-gas emissions. At the annual convention of the Ecological Society of America in Austin, Texas this week he posed this question: “How are those polar systems responding to climate change?”

The answer is based on his on-going research into how water crosses landscapes and what happens to it above and below ground. “In the northern regions, of course, we have sea ice, but a smaller surface area than in the Antarctic where we have very large ice sheets. And that actually plays into the differences in climate change responses that we’re seeing at both of those places.”

According to Gooseff, the two regions also differ widely geologically and ecologically. He says the Antarctic McMurdo Dry Valleys station where he’s based “appears like a polar desert system with open exposed soils, with no vascular plants at the surface and with glaciers coming down from the mountains, whereas in northern Alaska, we have a lot of plants. The tundra is actually dense with vegetation and very green.”

Gooseff is documenting change over time, by observing patterns in polar rivers, streams and lakes. He recalls a 2003 visit to Alaska’s North Slope, when his team charted the course of an unusual muddy stream. “We follow this up and finally we found a big gash in the hill slope essentially, and all of this mud pouring out from underneath it.” Here’s what had happened: A massive ice wedge under the surface had melted, thawing the permafrost and causing the soil above it to collapse. That created a deep gully in the hillside.

MORE

It seems to me that Europe and China have a helluva lot more to worry about than investment in "climate change" technologies.
Most of Europe is teetering on insolvency, the Euro is in big trouble (not to mention the U.S. dollar), and China is very worried about the very serious economic problems in the United States.
I have a hard time believing that ANY of these continents and countries are giving a shit about "low-carbon" technologies. If they are, they have their priorities extremely screwed up, which should come as no surprise to anybody.
I won't even delve into the whole global warming/climate change SCAM, except to say that it is all the modern-day version of selling beads to the Indians for their land.

I think investing in Climate Change is a loser and a gimmick for the fund companies. As expected, it has backfired on the mutual fund companies that pumped this nonsense. I don't recall the complex, but there actually was a fund company which kicked off a marketing campaign with snow boarders on Rodeo Drive (complete with a mountain of snow); as well a jungle in NYC. Who paid for that??? It was viewed as an insult that investors would place their money in a fund which employed such marketing gimmicks. Wish I could recall the fund complex.

Gov't thinks it can create demand in "going green" initiatives but fails to identify the market and competition as in China where they have lower production costs. At least two companies come to mind, Solyndra and Green Vehicles. Both took taxpayer money as in start up and filed bankruptcy.

FWIW, I suspect there's big money to be made in the DISASTER RELIEF business.

Climate change is a political movement, not a scientific one.

Right. Its a massive world wide conspiracy started over 100 years ago by a scientist named Arrhenius. Got it.

No, it started around 25 years ago when a group of lousy scientists figured out they could make money for doing a whole bunch of nuthin. Then the energy companies found out they could trade carbon credits and make trillions for the production of nuthin, so the two joined forces and voila, you have the AGW movement in a nutshell. What's funny is you clowns complain about the evil oil companies and you're doing their dirty work!

Too funny.

No, it started around 25 years ago when a group of lousy scientists figured out they could make money for doing a whole bunch of nuthin. Then the energy companies found out they could trade carbon credits and make trillions for the production of nuthin, so the two joined forces and voila, you have the AGW movement in a nutshell. What's funny is you clowns complain about the evil oil companies and you're doing their dirty work!

Too funny.
No. Actually is started in 1896.
Arrhenius, Svante (1896). "On the Influence of Carbonic Acid in the Air Upon the Temperature of the Ground." Philosophical Magazine 41: 237-76.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...sg=AFQjCNEQR-Fxqukf98SioIjuuQh2UkJAYQ&cad=rja

I'm sure you're familiar with it.

That's how far back the conspiracy goes.

You want to invest in GREEN technology?

Plant a tree.

Best bang for the buck you'll ever get

I know very little about investing, and who is and is not considered good advisors, but here is what one group has to say on investing and climate change.

Trillions of dollars at stake from climate change

Climate change increases uncertainty for long term institutional investors and as such, needs to be pro-actively managed.
Investment opportunities in low carbon technologies could reach $5 trillion.
The cost of impacts on the physical environment, health and food security could exceed $4 trillion.
Climate change related policy changes could increase the cost of carbon emissions by as much as $8 trillion.
Increasing allocation to “climate sensitive” assets will help to mitigate risks and capture new opportunities.
Engagement with policy makers is crucial for institutional investors to pro-actively manage the potential costs of delayed and poorly co-ordinated climate policy action.
Policy developments at the country level will produce new investment opportunities as well as risks that need to be constantly monitored.
The EU and China/East Asia are set to lead investment in low carbon technology and efficiency improvements over the coming decades.

Trillions at stake? You bet your ass(ets). We don't have time for the Obama administration paying off supporters with another half a billion taxpayer dollars in a fraudulent green jobs scheme. Go tell China that they need to worry about climate change and leave America alone to cope with the economic crisis.

Too funny.
No. Actually is started in 1896.
Arrhenius, Svante (1896). "On the Influence of Carbonic Acid in the Air Upon the Temperature of the Ground." Philosophical Magazine 41: 237-76.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...sg=AFQjCNEQR-Fxqukf98SioIjuuQh2UkJAYQ&cad=rja

I'm sure you're familiar with it.

That's how far back the conspiracy goes.

No, I'm talking about the organised fraud that began back in the 1980's. I understand you're considerably younger than I so I understand your lack of knowledge in that realm.

You want to invest in GREEN technology?

Plant a tree.

Best bang for the buck you'll ever get

Think globally, act locally! It's as valid today as it was way back when.

Investment and climate change

Looks like those who invested in carbon credits went bust. They deserved every loss.

I read this blog and i am agree this information.
This blog have wide information contain related to the investment and other topic.
I get more information and this information is beneficial for me and i want more information on this topic.
Thanks for sharing nice information.

Forum List

Back