Investment and climate change

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
I know very little about investing, and who is and is not considered good advisors, but here is what one group has to say on investing and climate change.

Trillions of dollars at stake from climate change

Climate change increases uncertainty for long term institutional investors and as such, needs to be pro-actively managed.
Investment opportunities in low carbon technologies could reach $5 trillion.
The cost of impacts on the physical environment, health and food security could exceed $4 trillion.
Climate change related policy changes could increase the cost of carbon emissions by as much as $8 trillion.
Increasing allocation to “climate sensitive” assets will help to mitigate risks and capture new opportunities.
Engagement with policy makers is crucial for institutional investors to pro-actively manage the potential costs of delayed and poorly co-ordinated climate policy action.
Policy developments at the country level will produce new investment opportunities as well as risks that need to be constantly monitored.
The EU and China/East Asia are set to lead investment in low carbon technology and efficiency improvements over the coming decades.

In general, the more risk you are willing to assume via investment, the greater the potential return.

Legislating hydrocarbon usage out of existence in order to reduce the investment risk in low-carbon technologies may not prove effective. Evidently, Obama thinks otherwise.

Climate change is a political movement, not a scientific one.

As such, whether to invest in solutions or to ignore the sermons is an opinion, as are all investments.

There is science to support the reality of AGW, and there is science to disprove it.

Basically, all we know about AGW is that we don't know shit about AGW. It is simply WAY too early in the development of Science to have the answers.

Which returns us to whether or not one should invest in it.

Opinions, assholes.....you know the rest.

Its a penny stock.

Well, Mini, I think your qualifications in investing are maybe equal to mine.

I would really like to see someone that has some knowledge give an opinion on the quality of advice this company has given in the past.

Well, Mini, I think your qualifications in investing are maybe equal to mine.

I would really like to see someone that has some knowledge give an opinion on the quality of advice this company has given in the past.

So you're holding silver as well?
:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Good on 'ya, bro!!!

There are number of factors that effects the investment in stock market as the investor is the human being and he is affected by weather more frequently. So definitely weather exert its influence over the stock market as well.

Investments in Climate Change = Lobbying for taxpayer dollars for subsidies

It's just a bunch of transfer payments, not real investment.

A good example: The Solyndra Scam.

Another good example: Al Gore becoming a Kleiner Perkins partner.

OR finally gets one right! Money and government funding is the only thing keeping real scientist from kicking the Warmers to the curb at every College and University in this country.

Thanks for finally understanding that EnviroMarism known as AGW is all about the Benjamins

I know very little about investing, and who is and is not considered good advisors, but here is what one group has to say on investing and climate change.

Climate change increases uncertainty for long term institutional investors and as such, needs to be pro-actively managed.
The cost of impacts on the physical environment, health and food security could exceed $4 trillion.
Climate change related policy changes could increase the cost of carbon emissions by as much as $8 trillion.
Increasing allocation to “climate sensitive” assets will help to mitigate risks and capture new opportunities.
Engagement with policy makers is crucial for institutional investors to pro-actively manage the potential costs of delayed and poorly co-ordinated climate policy action.
Policy developments at the country level will produce new investment opportunities as well as risks that need to be constantly monitored.
The EU and China/East Asia are set to lead investment in low carbon technology and efficiency improvements over the coming decades.
Now you see Global Warming for what it really is: A fight over government subsidies. Good for you! :clap2:

...like to see someone that has some knowledge give an opinion on the quality of advice this company has given in the past.

Better still, we can do our own looking and decide for ourselves what's going on.

Here's how the carbon credit market compares to the S&P500 for the past three years:
carbonetfv500.jpg

For decades now these so-called 'green stocks' never have looked any good to me

Good for them.

Wait, I bet you think this means the government should force us to invest in technology that is going to cost trillions of dollars and produce little, if any, return for decades. Tell me something, what is wrong with letting someone else take the lead, make the mistakes, and then step in and invest when a technology that actually works is available?

Environmental factors will play a vital role in the future investments as there is great volatility has been seen in the environment due to heavy anti industrialization.China and other Eu countries are already set their strategy to set up environmental friendly industries.

You can argue about some vast conspiracy to put money in the pockets of an environmental lobby, mother nature is the ultimate judge. We'll see where we are in the next 20-50 years.

...like to see someone that has some knowledge give an opinion on the quality of advice this company has given in the past.

Better still, we can do our own looking and decide for ourselves what's going on.

Here's how the carbon credit market compares to the S&P500 for the past three years:
carbonetfv500.jpg

For decades now these so-called 'green stocks' never have looked any good to me

Yeah, but think how smug and superior you'll feel as you go broke!

Good for them.

Wait, I bet you think this means the government should force us to invest in technology that is going to cost trillions of dollars and produce little, if any, return for decades. Tell me something, what is wrong with letting someone else take the lead, make the mistakes, and then step in and invest when a technology that actually works is available?
Because you can't exert overbearing governmental control over individual lives like that.

That's what AGW is all about.

DaveMan:

You mean like all those California Public workers with their pensions invested in green crap and socially conscious business? How's that workin' out? Not too well. Typically underperforms so badly they have to quietly shift back to REAL markets and REAL risks.

OldRocks:

That analysis is some of the foggiest handwaving I've ever seen. Not a single specific technology, idea, or market mover mentioned. And a dreadful lack of "past historical performance".
Just go with GM and lose your money the easy way. Anything that is subject to the vagueness of politics is gonna keep you up at night... Volt sales have no where to go but UP!!!

Last edited:
OR finally gets one right! Money and government funding is the only thing keeping real scientist from kicking the Warmers to the curb at every College and University in this country.

Thanks for finally understanding that EnviroMarism known as AGW is all about the Benjamins

We have pointed that out to him on more then one occasion so it's nice to see he is finally adding two and two together, but really...did it need to take so long?

DaveMan:

You mean like all those California Public workers with their pensions invested in green crap and socially conscious business? How's that workin' out? Not too well. Typically underperforms so badly they have to quietly shift back to REAL markets and REAL risks.
Yup. Once again, idiot leftists and their short-sightedness has fucked over folks. But good luck getting any of them to take responsibility for it.

Forum List

Back