Investigation against Rush ends

Dr Grump said:
Going by your link, sounds like he was guilty as sin... ;)

He was, but not in the way everybody(meaning the "flush Rush" crowd) is making it out to be. I don't care for him, but he isn't your everyday addict. He was addicted to OxyCoton. This is a highly addictive pain killer that he was prescribed by a doctor. He wasn't smoking crack or shooting up. He got hooked on an overly prescribed pain reliever. If anything, it is the doctor's fault for giving him the pills. OxyCoton is bad shit and is legal. This could very well have happened to you or someone that you know.

onthefence said:
He was, but not in the way everybody(meaning the "flush Rush" crowd) is making it out to be. I don't care for him, but he isn't your everyday addict. He was addicted to OxyCoton. This is a highly addictive pain killer that he was prescribed by a doctor. He wasn't smoking crack or shooting up. He got hooked on an overly prescribed pain reliever. If anything, it is the doctor's fault for giving him the pills. OxyCoton is bad shit and is legal. This could very well have happened to you or someone that you know.

You've hit the nail on the head, which is all the more reason Rush should have been more circumspect throughout his career. It's hard to feel sorry for somebody who has played the "Holier than thou" card all his life...

Dr Grump said:
You've hit the nail on the head, which is all the more reason Rush should have been more circumspect throughout his career. It's hard to feel sorry for somebody who has played the "Holier than thou" card all his life...

Limbaugh never attacked this kind of drug abuse. He spoke out against crack, heroin, cannibus, cocaine, ecstasy, and methamphetimine. All illegal drug users. He was right on this issue and it is unfortunate that his message has been blurred by being a victim of a medicated society.

onthefence said:
Limbaugh never attacked this kind of drug abuse. He spoke out against crack, heroin, cannibus, cocaine, ecstasy, and methamphetimine. All illegal drug users. He was right on this issue and it is unfortunate that his message has been blurred by being a victim of a medicated society.

So Oxycoton is highly addictive, like crack and heroin, but because society has deemed it a medicinal drug that makes it ok? Not in my book....A drug is a drug is a drug....either you're for 'em or against 'em...and if you are against 'em, you better be squeaky clean IMO...

Dr Grump said:
So Oxycoton is highly addictive, like crack and heroin, but because society has deemed it a medicinal drug that makes it ok? Not in my book....A drug is a drug is a drug....either you're for 'em or against 'em...and if you are against 'em, you better be squeaky clean IMO...

So all drugs are bad? Is penicillin included. Your conclusion are so moronic that they are funny. I swear you are against everything. I bet I could name anything in the world, and you would argue a position against it.

And FYI, Oxycoton is now being used almost exclusively with hospice patients. At the time that it was prescribed to Mr. Limbaugh, it was not. He really had no idea what was being prescribed. You compare him to crack addict. Show me a crack addict that has had crack prescribed to him.

Dr Grump said:

Why do you have to be squeky clean to be against them? I have a friend who overdosed twice and is totally against them. Why? Because he has seen their effects first hand. They nearly killed him.

You don't have to be perfect to speak out for what's right. If you did, no one could speak out. It doesn't matter if someone lives the message perfectly if the message is true.

Oh, and if he was guilty of anything, the DA would never have taken a deal. I am going just by what I would do myself. If I were the DA and had a solid case against a celebrity, regardless of party affiliation, id press it hard. Several reason. 1)To show that celebrities aren't above the law. 2)a high profile case would get me publicity and more work when I was done being a DA.

In this case, the DA was hardly a non-partisan. The state officials made it clear they were on a fishing expedition against Rush. Just the fact they agreed to this agreement shows they had nothing solid to pursue it on.

onthefence said:
So all drugs are bad? Is penicillin included

No and no.

onthefence said:
Your conclusion are so moronic that they are funny.

Glad to give you a laugh!

onthefence said:
I swear you are against everything. I bet I could name anything in the world, and you would argue a position against it.

Really? What makes you say that? I just don't like all-encompassing, stereotypical crap. Every situation is different in any set of circumstances. It's a weakness, I know.

onthefence said:
And FYI, Oxycoton is now being used almost exclusively with hospice patients. At the time that it was prescribed to Mr. Limbaugh, it was not. He really had no idea what was being prescribed. You compare him to crack addict. Show me a crack addict that has had crack prescribed to him.

hhhmmm...I don't think I compared them at all. Drugs, in many forms, are highly addictive. You seem to give a free pass to those drugs that society has deemed "OK", but those that are not, "throw the book at them". We all have our weaknesses. I realise this. Rush did not. When his showed up, he wanted compassion. When others had their weaknesses show up, he didn't. Go figure...

Why do you have to be squeky clean to be against them? I have a friend who overdosed twice and is totally against them. Why? Because he has seen their effects first hand. They nearly killed him.

You don't have to be perfect to speak out for what's right. If you did, no one could speak out. It doesn't matter if someone lives the message perfectly if the message is true.

Oh, and if he was guilty of anything, the DA would never have taken a deal. I am going just by what I would do myself. If I were the DA and had a solid case against a celebrity, regardless of party affiliation, id press it hard. Several reason. 1)To show that celebrities aren't above the law. 2)a high profile case would get me publicity and more work when I was done being a DA.

In this case, the DA was hardly a non-partisan. The state officials made it clear they were on a fishing expedition against Rush. Just the fact they agreed to this agreement shows they had nothing solid to pursue it on.

I actually agree with most of what you have posted, which makes Rush's stance even more ridiculous IMO. There for the grace of god go I etc (BTW, if he was innocent I DON'T think he would have taken the deal - two sides and all that)...

Dr Grump said:
Really? What makes you say that?

If you really want an answer to that question, go back and read your posts on this board. You'll have your answer.

I don't see how anyone could reasonably conclude that what Onthefence wrote was "all-encompassing, stereotypical crap". You'll have to explain how you came up with that one.

Adam's Apple said:
If you really want an answer to that question, go back and read your posts on this board. You'll have your answer.

I don't see how anyone could reasonably conclude that what Onthefence wrote was "all-encompassing, stereotypical crap". You'll have to explain how you came up with that one.

I have. And you are no more clearer on the subject. Admitedly I have tried to "interpret" what he has been saying. I am not saying what he has said is "all encompassing stereotypical crap (and why you think that is beyond me)". All I have tried to do is understand his position as to why I would argue against "anything". Your post has done nothing to enlighten me in that regard (although, subsequent posts might).

Dr Grump said:
I have. And you are no more clearer on the subject. Admitedly I have tried to "interpret" what he has been saying. I am not saying what he has said is "all encompassing stereotypical crap (and why you think that is beyond me)". All I have tried to do is understand his position as to why I would argue against "anything". Your post has done nothing to enlighten me in that regard (although, subsequent posts might).

Huh? and What? :bow3:

First: The investigation did not end. He arranged a plea deal. Seems it will be ACD'd if he stays a good boy. You need to look at real news, not "Rush News".

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12536446/

Second: Never accept Rush's version of anything as accurate, including his own words. To that end, Rush on the subject of drugs and alcohol:

16 Dec 1994 On his daily radio show, conservative pundit Rush Limbaugh declares: "We have alcoholics and drug addicts in our society, don't we? And what do we say about them? 'Well, they can't help it. Why, it's genetic. Why, they have a disease. Why, put one thimbleful of scotch in front of them and they can die.' We totally exempt them from any control over their lives, do we not? Some athlete will spend two years snorting lines of coke. 'He can't help it. You know, it's -- it's just -- it's not -- it's -- it's genetic. These people -- they're predisposed to having this addictive syndrome. They -- they can't help.' Yeah, like that line of cocaine just happened to march into the hotel, go up to the athlete's room and put itself right there in front of him on his blotter."
5 Oct 1995 "What this says to me is that too many whites are getting away with drug use. Too many whites are getting away with drug sales. Too many whites are getting away with trafficking in this stuff. The answer to this disparity is not to start letting people out of jail because we're not putting others in jail who are breaking the law. The answer is to go out and find the ones who are getting away with it, convict them and send them up the river, too."

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/entertainers/pundits/rush-limbaugh/

Note that he talked about people addicted to alcohol, too, and not just people addicted to illegal drugs. And even if he had, the guy still sent his housekeeper to score drugs for him. Not exactly on the up and up.

And just a little about Hillbilly Heroin:

It has swept through the vales of his native Appalachia like crack cocaine saturated inner cities in the 1980s. Folks call it "hillbilly heroin," and during the past few years, the abuse of this prescription pill designed to alleviate severe pain has become the single greatest drug threat in many rural areas from Florida to Maine.

http://csmonitor.com/cgi-bin/durableRedirect.pl?/durable/2001/07/12/p1s3.htm

Dr Grump said:
Your post has done nothing to enlighten me in that regard (although, subsequent posts might).

My post was not intended to "enlighten" you. It was to understand your post in response to Onthefence.

Adam's Apple said:
My post was not intented to "enlighten" you. It was to understand your post in response to Onthefence.

hhmmm...basically, OTF has said I will argue for the sake of arguing, and I'm asking him why he thinks that... I have yet to get a reply. And until I do, I am in the dark!

jillian said:
First: The investigation did not end. He arranged a plea deal. Seems it will be ACD'd if he stays a good boy. You need to look at real news, not "Rush News".

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12536446/

Second: Never accept Rush's version of anything as accurate, including his own words. To that end, Rush on the subject of drugs and alcohol:

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/entertainers/pundits/rush-limbaugh/

Note that he talked about people addicted to alcohol, too, and not just people addicted to illegal drugs. And even if he had, the guy still sent his housekeeper to score drugs for him. Not exactly on the up and up.

And just a little about Hillbilly Heroin:

http://csmonitor.com/cgi-bin/durableRedirect.pl?/durable/2001/07/12/p1s3.htm

It didn't "end," but YOUR own link says:

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. - A three-year investigation into drug use by Rush Limbaugh ended abruptly when the conservative commentator was booked on a single charge of prescription fraud in a deal his attorney says spares him a trial.

Looks like "ended" to me.

Rush isn't my cup of tea, but it seems to me you take what he says rather seriously or you wouldn't put so much effort into attempting to discredit him.

Dr Grump said:

Being addicted to illegal drugs and being addicted to prescription medication has only ONE commonn denominator ... the addiction. Anyone can easily become addicted to precription medication, even without knowing it until they are.

Being addicted to illegal drugs requires an initial, conscious, illegal act on the user/addict's part.

Your black and white comment concerning drugs is pretty-much bullshit. Being against illegal drug use and having no problem with the use of beneficial drugs is a perfectly reasonable stance for a reasonable person to take.

Forum List

Back