Invasive Species.

• Banned
The 2020 Python Bowl started yesterday, runs through the 19th...

Gov. DeSantis announces python hunting competition

I first learned of just how dire the situation is last year, some news magazine story I think. I had known they were out there, but damn...

I wasn't looking at it from the hunting competition angle. Some people are loth to kills animals. Whatever species they are.

I'm looking at it from the invasive species issue. Of which there are many. For instance, the Canada geese, which nearly outnumber the Swans on the UK River Thames. How did these creatures get to where they are now? And who brought them in?

Last edited:
The 2020 Python Bowl started yesterday, runs through the 19th...

Gov. DeSantis announces python hunting competition

I first learned of just how dire the situation is last year, some news magazine story I think. I had known they were out there, but damn...

They need a bounty on them all year long

Agreed. I know they have hired, according to the article from 2018, twenty-five hunters who work year round hunting the snakes:

Bounty Hunter Kills Gargantuan Burmese Python, Gets $375, Earns Our Undying Gratitude | Live Science

"The Everglades is a beautiful buffet for an apex predator like that," David Penning, a snake biologist at Missouri Southern State University, previously told Live Science. "Since the snakes have shown up and increased in number, we have seen a prominent drop in basically every animal that can be consumed by those snakes."

Thus, the state wants the serpents dead. Hunters like Penniston are paid $8.25 an hour to prowl the wetlands in the SFWMD's jurisdiction, earning on-the-spot bonuses that rise with the size of any snakes they fell. Pythons up to 4 feet long (1.2 m) net hunters $50, with every additional foot earning an extra $25. Penniston's near-18-foot quarry earned him a bonus of $375.

According to the SFWMD, the Python Elimination Program has removed nearly 1,900 invasive snakes since March 2017, with Penniston's latest catch setting a new record for the longest snake poached in this program.

I can't imagine it's easy work, but if you're a hunter at heart it's probably a kick in the pants... and you can probably keep your day job.

I believe that I read somewhere that if you have a valid Florida hunting license and come across one of the pythons during the course of your hunt, you are allowed to kill it and you will collect a bounty.

Idaho has big signs at her borders about bringing in invasive species ... gives me the urge to turn around and leave since humans aren't native there ... ha ha ha ha ...

Forum List

Back