Invasion of Privacy...

Bullypulpit

Jan 7, 2004
Columbus, OH
...Listening to NPR this morning, as I do every morning, I heard a story about RFID tags that will soon be showing up in everything we purchase. These tags remain in, or on, the product for the life of the product. Now, imagine...You're walking down the street, every thing you are wearing or carrying has this embeded technology. You are scanned, and then bombarded with instant ads from the store windows around you. You are regaled by ads for everything from shoes to underwear to the condoms in your wallet or birth control in your purse...this a la "Minority Report".

Think this is science fiction? Wrong answer...Wal-Mart will be requiring this technology in all products passing through its doors by 2005. Traking and mangin inventory in the store is one thing. Whats happens once it's been bought and paid for is nobody's business.

So, write your Congressional reps and put a stop to this invasive and easily abused technology. Not that it'll do any good since they've already been bought and paid for.

Bully, As scary as this sounds its real easy to avoid having to deal with it. That would be to not patronize any establishment that uses them. RFID tags would disappear very quickly once they realize it affects the bottom line.

This is easy to solve. RFID tags cannot stand up against microwaves. Throw everything you have into the microwave! :D

ah, i was wondering if they could be deactivated by magnets or something like credit card stripes and floppy disks. will note the microwave solution for when they start embedding the tags in money/clothes/everything...

with my tinfoil hat off, I do however see great uses for this technology. hopefully we'll find a way to limit abuses at the same time.

Note the avatar of the originator of this thread...

That day is growing closer...

"they shall not be able to buy or sell w/o his mark"

:-/

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
Bully, As scary as this sounds its real easy to avoid having to deal with it. That would be to not patronize any establishment that uses them. RFID tags would disappear very quickly once they realize it affects the bottom line.
Agreed. Also, why couldn't you just take the tags off/out? I mean, hey, people still keep that mattress tag on but they CAN take it off.

Originally posted by Moi
Agreed. Also, why couldn't you just take the tags off/out? I mean, hey, people still keep that mattress tag on but they CAN take it off.

the technology has advanced to where these tags are small as an apirin or smaller, they can be embedded in the product and you'll never know (potentially)

Originally posted by jimnyc
This is easy to solve. RFID tags cannot stand up against microwaves. Throw everything you have into the microwave! :D
You always have the answers Jim!
What would we ever do without you?!
:confused:

Forum List

Back