Intruder calls 911, afraid homeowner may have gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
(CNN) -- This time it was the intruder who called 911.

A man who broke into a house in Portland, Oregon, called police -- afraid the homeowner may have a gun.

The suspect, Timothy James Chapek, was in the bathroom taking a shower when the homeowner returned to the house Monday night, Portland police said in a statement.

Accompanied by two German shepherds, the homeowner asked Chapek what he was doing in the house.

Chapek locked himself in the bathroom and made an emergency call, police said. He said he had broken into the house, the owner had come home, and that he was concerned the owner might have a gun.

The homeowner also called the police to report that he had found a man in the house.

Police with dogs took Chapek, 24, into custody "without incident," they said. He was booked for criminal trespass.

They did not say if the homeowner did in fact have a gun.

Source: Intruder calls 911, afraid homeowner may have gun - CNN.com

Okay, THAT's hilarious.

The guy just wanted to steal a shower.

Instead he nearly got a bloodbath.

yeah. Shoot the bastard!!! Kill him on the spot. Imagine - breaking into someone's home and taking a shower! If i've ever seen something that deserves death, this is it.

I love you guys.

oh come on george. What better place to take someone out then in the shower. The mess will be mostly contained.

:lol:

I love you too george
:)

wanna take a shower with me? I promise there won't be a mess. :cool:

yay!

Nothing. I would give you kudos for recognizing it and admitting it.
Ah. Well, as it doesn't apply, it appears the loss is mine.
I knew it! Let's leave it at this - howz about letting others judge whether you have authoritarian personality traits by what you say in your posts and your sig line.
1: You aren't competent to do so
2: Even if you were, you dont have enough information
3: In any event, its utterly meaningless.
:cuckoo:

Ah. Well, as it doesn't apply, it appears the loss is mine.
I knew it! Let's leave it at this - howz about letting others judge whether you have authoritarian personality traits by what you say in your posts and your sig line.

Your posts, your manner and your sig line speak so loudly, I cannot hear a word you say.

Aggression toward others that is perceived to be supported by authorities is one of the well established traits of the authoritarian personality. I would say that threatening another person with a gun (which, while it was not actually done here, you seem to fully support nonetheless) would be well within the definition of this particular trait.

Authoritarians favor the severe punishing of criminals and obtain personal pleasure from such activity, i.e., perhaps shooting someone who breaks into another person's house and is taking a shower.

One of the main characteristics of the authoritarian is a tendency to display prejudice and hostility toward all minorities (not just racial ones) and to be mean-spirited towards those who have made mistakes or have suffered. With this in mind, let's take a look at a quote from your sig line:

If you would like to find out a little bit more about yourself (and the dozens of others just like you on this Board), take a look at:

How to Recognize the Authoritarian Personality | eHow.com

Something you seem to be missing here. Authoritarians need to feel that they are backed by the state. Calling someone an authoritarian because they believe in the sanctity of their home, and are willing to kill to defend it, is wrong. Authoritarians are the people who think that SWAT teams are the proper response to minor drug crimes and parking tickets. Find out how many people in this thread support that before you start labeling them as authoritarian.

Suggest you not go there. There are dozens of characteristics attributable to the authoritarian personality. The need to feel they are backed by the state is but one of them. And I would remind you that M14 Shooter began this by citing Texas law, where, apparently, it is legal to shoot someone under the circumstances set forth in the OP. If that isn't showing a need to be "backed by the state," I don't know what is.

I have read extensively on the correlation between today's right wing conservatism and the authoritarian personality. If any more proof is needed than what our beloved right wing conservatives put up on this board on a daily basis, I don't know what is.

I have read extensively on that myself, and I have read about the correlation between libertarianism and anarchism, and I find most of what I read to be motivated by political bias. Most people on this board consider me right wing, yet I constantly question authority, and even believe that police should be overseen by civilian boards that investigate all allegations of abuse.

The problem here is allowing your personal bias to color your perception. You have repeatedly pointed out that you are friends with conservative Republicans. Do you consider them to be authoritarian? I believe that you have said you support reasonable gun rights. If you owned a gun would you have a problem with using it to subdue an intruder you found in your shower?

Shooting him is a bit overboard, but I am willing to give the people that advocate it the benefit of the doubt. Even in castle doctrine states it would be hard to justify shooting someone who locked himself in a bathroom to hide from you, and most gun owners I know would not do that.

To be honest, the ones that I believe would all are the ones who are the least authoritarian, and most of them would get in more trouble for having a gun than they would for shooting the intruder.

I am forced to make an exception here for police officers. On the other hand, I only personally know a few LEOs, and I know none of them well enough to judge how they would react in this situation. I can, however, imagine a cop having no trouble blowing away someone through a locked door just because he was in his home. I might have to concede your point on that being the trait of an authoritarian personality.

Last edited:
Your posts, your manner and your sig line speak so loudly, I cannot hear a word you say.
Which does nothing to affect the validity of my post.

Oh, and one other thing - authoritarians always have to have the last word.

I have to say that the site you posted is politically driven crap whatever M14's personality is. A statement like this:
Altemeyer's work on Right-Wing Authoritarianism (RWA) in order to define authoritarian personalities.

is coming out and stating that they are targeting a specific ideology in order to define authoritarian and ignores the fact that left and right can both be authoritarian. I am conservative and I would not doubt that you consider me a right winger and I can assure you that I am not authoritarian. Nor would I really give your opinion on M14's personality type much weight as I have been called a racists among other things by you before with zero merit to those labels.

As a matter of fact, I distrust government in general because of its tendency to move in that direction. Those that support the homeowners right to kill an intruder are not necessarily pining extreme legal consequences for small crimes but rather recognizing that hindsight is 20/20. The intruder may or may not be armed and may or may not be extremely dangerous. As the person walking into your own home that has been broken into, you have no idea what you are facing or any real way to gauge that other than someone has already committed a crime to be there. I would not support the man being caught by the cops and put to death but I certainly support her right to have defended herself and home.
As for the comments on shooting him that were posted earlier, I believe those were made in jest anyway. A naked man in the shower would not exactly be the most opposing force for an armed individual. If I had been her and armed, I would have likely kicked him out of the house at gunpoint naked and then let the cops pick him up. Not likely to come to my house again after that ;)

i have had to defend myself....from an intruder......i was willing to let him rob the place....i can replace stuff.....but had my bedroom door opened.....i had hidden my son who was maybe 2...in the closet of my bedroom and was sitting on my bed with a loaded shotgun....

had that door opened i would have killed him dead in a new york minute....
thats what us fucking gun owners do.

Authoritarian personality types here in NAZI central?!?!

Say it ain't so, George.

One wonders (at least in some cases, others not so much) how much of their apparently AP is ascii braggadocio, and how much of it is real, though.

Which -still- does nothing to affect the validity of my post.
If you're so right, why can't you address what I said?

At this point, it's clear you arent willing, or able, to add anything of actual value to this conversation, and simply want to troll.

Trolls always have to have the last word...

Which -still- does nothing to affect the validity of my post.
If you're so right, why can't you address what I said?

At this point, it's clear you arent willing, or able, to add anything of actual value to this conversation, and simply want to troll.

Trolls always have to have the last word...

I rest my case. :lol::lol::lol:

Authoritarian personality types here in NAZI central?!?!

Say it ain't so, George.

One wonders (at least in some cases, others not so much) how much of their apparently AP is ascii braggadocio, and how much of it is real, though.

Doesn't matter. Real or Internet Tough Guy - it's still the same thing. I chuckle at the name calling rather than addressing the content of the scientific studies clearly establishing the connection between today's conservatives and the authoritarian personality.

And, as I have said many times, one need only read what these people say on boards such as this, to see that Robert Altemeyer and the others who conducted these studies are totally correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back