Introduction / Obama and Clinton Aren't That Different

Discussion in 'Politics' started by SingingMongoose, May 12, 2008.

1. SingingMongoose

SingingMongoose Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hello!

I haven't been on a politics message board in years, so I'm not totally sure how to introduce myself. I'm a college student who likes green tea and mismatched clothing, which should be all you need to make a decent guess about my political views, hehe.

I suppose I'm here because I'm interested in politics, and remember being much better-informed when I spent my time arguing about it on the internet. It also helps that school's out for the summer, which gives me enough time to do stuff like this.

Finally, if I'm unwittingly breaking any rules, I assure you I don't really want to, and would love to know how to stop breaking them.

I think that about does it for an intro. I think it would be boring to just introduce myself, so I'll throw in my two cents on our country's two favorite left-of-center Democrats:

From MAPLight.org, the Top Ten Interests Donating to Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton...

Clinton:
    Attorneys and Law Firms - $18,017,518
    Retired - $9,037,375
    General commerce - $7,356,134
    Security brokers & investment companies - $4,450,348
    Schools & colleges - $3,063,884
    Real estate - $2,695,967
    Business services - $2,242,681
    Real Estate developers & subdividers - $2,013,705
    Real estate agents - $1,967,037
    Investment banking - $1,930,710

Obama:
    Attorneys & law firms - $15,515,104
    General commerce - $10,446,476
    Retired - $10,149,738
    Schools & colleges - $4,462,721
    Security brokers & investment companies - $4,090,001
    Business services - $1,782,227
    Civil servant/public employee - $1,778,497
    Real estate - $1,555,152
    Book, newspaper & periodical publishing - $1,483,892
    Investment banking - $1,396,930

Is it just me, or have we wasted several months of time, energy and resources on a completely pointless power struggle? (And why does it give me deja vu?)

2. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    Now you have to look at it from a different angle. Separate by race, gender, religion, age, income, hair color, shoe size, location, and weight, and you pretty much sum up what people have been arguing about for a year.

3. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,990
    Hillary is smart enough to know the ropes and how to work with Congress, including that "vast right wing Conspiracy" Obama is not.

Obama is farther left then Hillary and in my opinion unlikely to work with anyone. Another Carter in the making. He has way to much racial baggage to be our President.

Anyone that would spend 20 years listening to Wright, call him a close personal friend, a mentor and have him as their spiritual advisor has racial issues. He can disclaim them all he wants, he is lying.

The only "change" he will bring is racial bigotry and far left ideals.

4. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,306
    Donations mean little as I'm sure the same groups give to McCain. What matters is a sense of the values America was founded on. Both Hillary and Barack represent these values, actually McCain, minus his illegal war stance, does too. But we need a change from politics that support only trickle down, the corporation, or the pentagon.

http://www.ontheissues.org/default.htm

Obama/Huckabee 2008

5. doeton

doeton Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +65

err ah...indeed that sums it for sanders...:eusa_wall:

people able to look beyond that might considered.

oh i don't THE VOTE ON THE WAR!

or oh hillary's continued bellicosity alla "obliterate iran" or i don't talk to enemies. in other words more of GW's failed foreign policy.

or her fear mongering campaign ads, worthy of a publican.

but it is refreshing to see sanders come to terms with what this campaign has been about for him :evil:

6. rayboyusmc

rayboyusmc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Their biggest difference is on how they would handle Iraq. Clinton will stay longer, Obama will move to remove us a little faster.

7. SingingMongoose

SingingMongoose Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4
    For those who remain unconvinced, take a quick glance at the candidates' voting records. Unlike "values America was founded on," which are just vague and meaningless enough to be the morals of Disney movies, voting records give some indication of what a candidate will actually do (or not do).

The voting records are pretty revealing. The National Journal's website shows it clearly, as part of their calculations for "most liberal senator" (incidentally, that's a very misleading moniker, but the records are still useful). I'd post the link, but I don't have privileges to do so, so I simply advise googling "most liberal senators," selecting the entry regarding the National Journal, and selecting "Obama and Clinton's key votes" on the right side of the following page.

And that's more enlightening than a year's-worth of talking heads babbling about "character" and "values."

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    Wow, Mongoose, thanks for the tip.

Looking at Obama's voting record, I'm most disgusting with all the "Did not votes".

Things he did not vote for:

-Create a national action plan for reducing oil consumption by 35 percent by 2030.
    -Increase financial aid for college students and reduce subsidies for student-loan lenders.
    -Block most non-pregnant adults from coverage under the State Children's Health Insurance Program.
    -Eliminate an immigrant guest-worker program.
    -Limit debate on a measure expressing no confidence in Attorney General Alberto Gonzales.

No wonder the guy has no experience in politics. It seems he doesn't even vote half the time.

9. SingingMongoose

SingingMongoose Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4
    No problem, but I think that's pretty common for presidential candidates. Clinton missed almost as many as Obama, and I know McCain also had a lot of no-votes (not sure how he stacks up against the other two though). Unfortunately, one can't succeed in a presidential election without shirking other duties. :(

10. jreeves

jreeves Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +315
    Yeah let's let our senior foriegn policy leader go cut underhanded deals with Hamas and alienate ourselves from our allies...:rofl: