intolerance of intolerance. Is it going anywhere and where will it lead us.

justmetoo

Rookie
May 31, 2012
Are people who hate people who hate others self absorbed, self righteous or self aggrandizing? Are stereotypes a means or a justification and how can these false images be refuted without the refuter defaulting to their own mental images of the types of people who use stereotypes?

In this day and age we are sometimes inundated with the term "Rights" but the precursor is always a subgroup of a group instead of the rights of an individual within the entire group to be treated equally with anyone else in that group. Is it not in the best interest of the entire group, as a whole to protect and defend anyone or any subgroup within the entirety of group lest the subgroup they're in be the next to be placed on the chopping block?

Is the simple fact that there are subgroups within society make that society vulnerable to being fractured and why would we give ear to those who claim to want save society by carving it into separate groups?

Do those who wish to lead society into a promised land actually have one in mind or is it this just an image they delude us into believing in because they know we would not personally believe in them?

When can a sanctuary become a prison? When is the idea of a higher order thinking or acting or being anything more than a palatable means of promoting arrogance? When does all this and much much more begin to create something that is a benefit to everyone?

Are people who hate people who hate others self absorbed, self righteous or self aggrandizing? Are stereotypes a means or a justification and how can these false images be refuted without the refuter defaulting to their own mental images of the types of people who use stereotypes?

In this day and age we are sometimes inundated with the term "Rights" but the precursor is always a subgroup of a group instead of the rights of an individual within the entire group to be treated equally with anyone else in that group. Is it not in the best interest of the entire group, as a whole to protect and defend anyone or any subgroup within the entirety of group lest the subgroup they're in be the next to be placed on the chopping block?

Is the simple fact that there are subgroups within society make that society vulnerable to being fractured and why would we give ear to those who claim to want save society by carving it into separate groups?

Do those who wish to lead society into a promised land actually have one in mind or is it this just an image they delude us into believing in because they know we would not personally believe in them?

When can a sanctuary become a prison? When is the idea of a higher order thinking or acting or being anything more than a palatable means of promoting arrogance? When does all this and much much more begin to create something that is a benefit to everyone?

I consider myself in the category of hating haters, which makes me no different. An attitude shift is required. I'm learning to accept that people hate, myself included, and turn toward that hate and see what it needs, and what's underneath it.

Stereotypes often have some truth in them. For example, my step MIL is in an assisted living facility. Recently, that facility merged with a Jewish senior assisted living facility. The complaint about the new residents is that they "cliquey" and "pushy". Doesn't it make sense that a group of people who already know each other would sit together in the dining room? Doesn't it make sense that new residents may be more insecure and demanding, (or pushy). Isn't it also possible that other factors, such as what region of the world or country the new resident came from may affect their perception by those who lived in the neighborhood before them?

A sanctuary can become a prison. That's a whole topic in and of itself.

Anyway, these are my "first thoughts" on your provocative topic.

Forum List

Back