Interview

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
I have an interview at 11am tomorrow in NYC. This is an established, corporate IT company. It's where my uncle works, so my foot is already half way in the door. Unfortunately, it's another temp/independent position. Then again, when I went to Cadbury I thought it would be a few weeks and I ended up being there for about 1 1/2 years.

This position would be in charge of a few major companies relocation in the near future. They need someone to take charge of inventory, planning & execution. These are trading floor companies with some complicated computer setups (about 5 cpu's and 10 monitors per station.

Here's my resume, with contact info deleted, what ya'll think?
---------------------

EXPERIENCE:

Cadbury Schweppes Americas Beverages 5/04-Present
Responsible for the installation, repair & maintenance of all company owned hardware including desktop pc’s & laptops. Perform maintenance on Novell servers and monitor performance. Responsibilities also include creation of accounts and account maintenance. Provide support for Lotus Notes for both in house lan connection and remote users. Support from a network perspective for Mocha and SAP. Responsible for installation of HP Laserjet printers, repair & maintenance of all models (1100, HP4, 5SI, 8150…). Support an array of users who utilize various handheld devices (Palm, Compaq, Sony Clie…). Monitor incoming trouble tickets and respond to user’s hardware and software requests.

XPTweaks 10/02-Present
Computer installation, upgrade and repair for home computer systems. Services include analyzing client needs, isolating cost-effective equipment purchases, configuring and installing system, cable and wireless modem installation, and support, as needed.

WEIL, GOTSHAL & MANGES LLP, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 2/00-10/02
Network Analyst: Responsible for daily monitoring of 127 servers in Novell/NT environment. Build servers in 4.x and 5.x Novell environment as well as NT/2000, and troubleshoot all system problems that may arise. Responsible for ensuring firms data is backed up on a daily basis using Backup-Exec and Arcserve. Additional duties include: creating user accounts, Shiva accounts, users rights & groups (Netware and Active Directory). Duties on the engineer side include: data closet connectivity, Switches (Cisco Networks), fiber optic connections, some configuration of Cisco routers & IP management for servers.

WEIL, GOTSHAL & MANGES LLP, NEW YORK, NEW YORK 6/96-2/00
Senior MIS Technician for large, international law firm. Responsibilities include (i) maintaining and troubleshooting hardware on a 1,500 user environment consisting of Windows 95/98/XP, WinNT & Windows 3.1 desktop PC's, network connectivity, HP LaserJet printers and various modems (ii) ensuring print ability to all queue servers (iii) maintaining data closet connections to firms hubs and patch panels (iv) desktop support including Windows 95/98 and 3.1, Lotus Notes, NetWare Client32 installation for Windows 95/98, Microsoft Word, WordPerfect, Novell desktop software, print server software, Internet Explorer & Netscape setup through a proxy server and (v) overseeing day-to-day operations in the MIS tech room, maintaining inventory and assisting in purchasing.

Consultant to Sony Corporation, New York, New York 1/96-5/96
Responsibilities consisted of hardware installation and desktop support for the Sony Corporation’s U.S. headquarters. Hardware support included: configuring and installing PC’s, peripheral equipment and network hardware. Desktop support included: Windows, Microsoft Excel and Word, Lotus Notes, etc., and network communications.

MICRO Healthsystems (parent company of AIS Corp.), West Orange, New Jersey 1/92-12/95

Responsibilities included installing system components and peripherals; loading and configuring Unix Operating System to client specifications (configuring hardware, creating Infinity database and user accounts, setting up printer and terminal databases, creating Informix and loading additional software); performing disk recovery and restoration procedures; isolating/repairing problems with equipment and peripherals; facilitating and maintaining computer communications between satellite and main offices.

EDUCATION:

Kean College, Union, New Jersey 1987

Cittone Institute, Edison, New Jersey December 1991
Certificate, Computer Repair and Robotics

St. Johns University, Jamaica, Queens NY 1996

Looks good to me. The tech field has always astounded me in how fast you all move around.

Kathianne said:
Looks good to me. The tech field has always astounded me in how fast you all move around.

I've been with one company for 8 years now. We don't always move around...

It is true that most IT positions are "temp" though and they are first out the door when the economy hits the fan.

Impressive Jim, there was so much tech experience that half way thru my eyes just glazed over........

Good luck tommorrow!!

The interview was delayed and actually took place on Monday. After about an hour long interview I was hired on the spot as an independent contractor as a project manager. My job will be to oversee the jobs of companies that are relocating. The responsibilites include weekly meetings with the client/vendors to map out the moves, meet with colleauges to determine game plan and amount of workers needed, follow up meetings to ensure preparedness, and then lastly to oversee the implementation.

My first gig is Bank of America, where they placed me in charge of this account with the first 'relo' to be this friday! I had a meeting with them yesterday, accompanied by my new boss. We will perform the relo on Friday and move on from there. The BOA account will last until at least Christmas as they have weekly moves planned from now until then. There is another account to be hopefully signed next week that they'll want me to be a major player in as well. They clearly told me that they want to see me for awhile in action and if they are pleased with the results they will bring me aboard full time.

I don't care if they ever do, this position will pay me the same as Cadbury, and more, by only working about 20 hours per week! :cof:

jimnyc said:
The interview was delayed and actually took place on Monday. After about an hour long interview I was hired on the spot as an independent contractor as a project manager. My job will be to oversee the jobs of companies that are relocating. The responsibilites include weekly meetings with the client/vendors to map out the moves, meet with colleauges to determine game plan and amount of workers needed, follow up meetings to ensure preparedness, and then lastly to oversee the implementation.

My first gig is Bank of America, where they placed me in charge of this account with the first 'relo' to be this friday! I had a meeting with them yesterday, accompanied by my new boss. We will perform the relo on Friday and move on from there. The BOA account will last until at least Christmas as they have weekly moves planned from now until then. There is another account to be hopefully signed next week that they'll want me to be a major player in as well. They clearly told me that they want to see me for awhile in action and if they are pleased with the results they will bring me aboard full time.

I don't care if they ever do, this position will pay me the same as Cadbury, and more, by only working about 20 hours per week! :cof:

Congratulations Jim! It's nice feeling wanted and getting paid for it!

see Jim, it just took time. i remember when Jess and myself come back from working in north carolina and i couldnt find work up here, i felt the same way! it sucked ass.

jimnyc said:

That's fantastic, congratulations! You needed a good break!

Okay, now that you are rich you can afford to pay us all to be your friends!

Remember the contract we had you sign... :read:

Seriously, congratulations!

:highfive:

Forum List

Back