interstelar colonization

at the moment

we would need 30 years of intense expensive research

to develop a interstelar spaceship

that would need about 1000 years to get to a star that might have a planet worth colonizing

and then we would need another 50 years to build the starship

but by 2100 we could build a starship

that would be able to colonize another star

in 1000 years

and we propably could build further starships

every 10 years

do you think its worth it ?

One day our sun and planet will be gone. If we want our species to live beyond that we have no other choice. Imagine if instead of the cold war we spent all that time advancing space exploration? I heard at our top speed we can get to the nearest star in 70,000 years but we may be able to one day do it in 40 years. But 1000 years will have passed here on earth.
In all honesty, whether we reach the stars or not, do you think mankind will be here in 5 billion years regardless of what happens to the Star we orbit?

I don't.

do you think its worth it?

In a 10 light year sphere around our sun there are 15 stars, any one of which will almost certainly have numerous planets. Even a giant planet could have near-earth sized satellites which could be warmed on their surfaces by gravitational tides so the potential is very great to find habitable planets.

But as for another “cost” it would be a sad situation if a huge generational starship were launched only to be overtaken by a much more highly developed and faster ship to arrive hundreds of years earlier, thus making their journey, for all its difficulties and hardships, irrelevant.

Presently, with all our technology, we have nowhere near the capacity to build a dynamic structure that would function for a thousand years, regardless of the number of spare parts and back-up redundancy we could pack into it. Our best aircraft carriers are worn out in 50 years.

i would hope that if we had a space drive that would be 10x faster we would send a spacecraft to our ancestral coloniziaition effort generation ship spaceship with a new engine

so theyd arive only a little late or at least await them with

festivities and a space to live

but yes it might be that a early generationship might be comig late to a later effort

on the otherhand

it might need a few thousand years to build something faster

if you wait you might be faster or not or the human race might selfdestruct

if you don t wait you will arrive

and i did say it would need 85 years to design and build a starship not that we can build one now

at the moment

that would need about 1000 years to get to a star that might have a planet worth colonizing

in 1000 years

every 10 years

One day our sun and planet will be gone. If we want our species to live beyond that we have no other choice. Imagine if instead of the cold war we spent all that time advancing space exploration? I heard at our top speed we can get to the nearest star in 70,000 years but we may be able to one day do it in 40 years. But 1000 years will have passed here on earth.
In all honesty, whether we reach the stars or not, do you think mankind will be here in 5 billion years regardless of what happens to the Star we orbit?

I don't.

Heck, if we don't attempt reaching other planets. I highly doubt we'll be around 20,000 years from now We as a species have nothing besides benefits by going after our own advancement.

i belive

earth is doomed

the solar system isn t big enough to ensure the survival of the human race

only if we go to the stars

humanity got a chance to survive

Most important fact-today if we claim what we will be able to do in one thousand years technologically it will be wrong. We cannot know where technology will be next year. Go back 100 years from today and compare technology then and today. How much of present day technology was predicted back then? Colonization to me will be accomplished by technology, not humans as today for example driverless cars. Sending humans to space in the time it will take just to get out of our solar system is a death trap. If we find a planet we could then send chemicals, etc. to do whatever, then human DNA perhaps frozen then through robotics start a life form on that planet after the atmosphere and soil is compatible. To think people will make these journeys is simply naïve and too Flash Gordon. Mars of course is doable and we are going to do that but that will take major leaps as well in technology.

do you think its worth it?

In a 10 light year sphere around our sun there are 15 stars, any one of which will almost certainly have numerous planets. Even a giant planet could have near-earth sized satellites which could be warmed on their surfaces by gravitational tides so the potential is very great to find habitable planets.

But as for another “cost” it would be a sad situation if a huge generational starship were launched only to be overtaken by a much more highly developed and faster ship to arrive hundreds of years earlier, thus making their journey, for all its difficulties and hardships, irrelevant.

Presently, with all our technology, we have nowhere near the capacity to build a dynamic structure that would function for a thousand years, regardless of the number of spare parts and back-up redundancy we could pack into it. Our best aircraft carriers are worn out in 50 years.

i would hope that if we had a space drive that would be 10x faster we would send a spacecraft to our ancestral coloniziaition effort generation ship spaceship with a new engine

so theyd arive only a little late or at least await them with

festivities and a space to live

but yes it might be that a early generationship might be comig late to a later effort

on the otherhand

it might need a few thousand years to build something faster

if you wait you might be faster or not or the human race might selfdestruct

if you don t wait you will arrive

and i did say it would need 85 years to design and build a starship not that we can build one now
Humankind does not have to go to the stars to save itself catastrophe on earth. Mastering a human presence on Mars would suffice and serve for a base for expansion out into the balance of the solar system. Mercury would be easier to settle than Venus, and we should go there too eventually. Still, the moon is a logical and necessary "stepping stone" to the rest of the solar system. It was part of the process, with a big investment already made, before Obama took it down for a flyby of Mars in the mid 30's of this century.

At any rate, by the time we've expanded out to the giant moons of Jupiter and Saturn we'll have found a way for warp speed exploration and expansion.

Most important fact-today if we claim what we will be able to do in one thousand years technologically it will be wrong. We cannot know where technology will be next year. Go back 100 years from today and compare technology then and today. How much of present day technology was predicted back then? Colonization to me will be accomplished by technology, not humans as today for example driverless cars. Sending humans to space in the time it will take just to get out of our solar system is a death trap. If we find a planet we could then send chemicals, etc. to do whatever, then human DNA perhaps frozen then through robotics start a life form on that planet after the atmosphere and soil is compatible. To think people will make these journeys is simply naïve and too Flash Gordon. Mars of course is doable and we are going to do that but that will take major leaps as well in technology.
Colonizing and mining mars is just a small first step. We need to go fast enough we can get to the best solar system in 40 years or so. First find the right planet we know we can live on then build a ship the size of a city off mars then get going.

Eventually, given the apparent pattern of our solar system's movement in relation to that of the milky way, the long term survival of the human species necessitates that we colonize rocks in other systems. Of course, the potential for extinction level catastrophiez (alien or domestic) in the mean time makes it unlikely that the radiation shitstorm @ the edges of our galaxy an unlikely opponent in the do-or-die countdown to interplanetary colonization. That said, once Sol makes its way to the edge of the milky way, the atmosphere on Mars will be particle blasted right off the planet, same as Earth, assuming cosmic pinball doesn't take one or both right out of orbit during the next few thousand millennia.

Anyway, pseudoscientific pontification aside, funding the space program just seems like a no-brainer to me, given the staggering number of technological advancements that have come right out of NASA. Dedicated R&D is one of the only things our govt's ever been particularly good at, back before they decided that blindly throwing money at private, for-profit manufacturers was the same thing. You know who would develop new solar power tech better than Solyndra? NASA, especially since they wouldn't have to juggle production costs in their R&D budget. . . . Dedicated is a good way to research.

On top of that, new technologies inarguably create a rising economic tide that benefits all, unlike most of the winners-n-losers social programs that helped justify NASA's defunding, making it, in my opinion, a more viable use of tax funds on a moral level.

Another interesting thought on this topic is how it relates to the technological singularity theory. We've already come to the point where we can read and recreate mental images electronically, and some time ago we became capable of successful cross-species organ transplants. With the marriage of brain and software so potentially close at hand, how far behind can be the marriage of body and mechanical hardware?

If I could survive long enough to track such a bet, I'd put money on the following: By the time mankind is able to travel to and teraform another rock, bodily adaptation to the various harsh conditions of the trip will be initiated by engineers as opposed to biology.

Just a thought.

Cant we just evolve our way out of this?

The dino's didn't evolve their way out of the extinction pattern of our planet and neither has 99% of all other species. There's no evolving out of it.

Spreading our species throughout the universe is how humanity survives in the long term. Certainly, I am not talking about leaving the planet totally as 90% of our species will remain here. BUT, A percentage of it better slowly move outwards.

Wasnt a serious question ...... See what the Chinese do....maybe we need competition to motivate us.........

Eventually, given the apparent pattern of our solar system's movement in relation to that of the milky way, the long term survival of the human species necessitates that we colonize rocks in other systems. Of course, the potential for extinction level catastrophiez (alien or domestic) in the mean time makes it unlikely that the radiation shitstorm @ the edges of our galaxy an unlikely opponent in the do-or-die countdown to interplanetary colonization. That said, once Sol makes its way to the edge of the milky way, the atmosphere on Mars will be particle blasted right off the planet, same as Earth, assuming cosmic pinball doesn't take one or both right out of orbit during the next few thousand millennia.

Anyway, pseudoscientific pontification aside, funding the space program just seems like a no-brainer to me, given the staggering number of technological advancements that have come right out of NASA. Dedicated R&D is one of the only things our govt's ever been particularly good at, back before they decided that blindly throwing money at private, for-profit manufacturers was the same thing. You know who would develop new solar power tech better than Solyndra? NASA, especially since they wouldn't have to juggle production costs in their R&D budget. . . . Dedicated is a good way to research.

On top of that, new technologies inarguably create a rising economic tide that benefits all, unlike most of the winners-n-losers social programs that helped justify NASA's defunding, making it, in my opinion, a more viable use of tax funds on a moral level.

It just dawned on me. Every star and sun is going to eventually die so we must build very large spacships where communities can live on. Maybe colonize and mine mars and build those ships with mars iron and steel. Have ten of these ships or 100 and send them in 2s out in each direction. If we want humans to live on forever we must do this.

at the moment

in 1000 years

every 10 years

The human race will not live forever if we stay here. The spaceships would have to be huge. Hydroponics. Is it safe to live out in space for years? That's why this ship would have to be like a small moon. Maybe we would find comets to use the water and metals in them. I'd like to think we will have many ships. The russians have a ship Chinese australians americans indians Saudis japanese Pakistan england Europe. Somehow I doubt Africa or mexico will have their own ship. Mexicans will just sneak into our ship and well allow it for the cheap labor. Lol

IC is not only possible ...but It will happen... it's just a matter of time

"Since, in the long run, every planetary civilization will be endangered by impacts from space, every surviving civilization is obliged to become spacefaring--not because of exploratory or romantic zeal, but for the most practical reason imaginable: staying alive... If our long-term survival is at stake, we have a basic responsibility to our species to venture to other worlds."

cleardot.gif
Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot, 1994

There area few I know that are practicing their spacemanship on aveaily basis, they are cadets.

As man needed to explore the seas and discover and colonize the "New World" man will discover and colonize new worlds, that is part of human nature.

IC is not only possible ...but It will happen... it's just a matter of time

"Since, in the long run, every planetary civilization will be endangered by impacts from space, every surviving civilization is obliged to become spacefaring--not because of exploratory or romantic zeal, but for the most practical reason imaginable: staying alive... If our long-term survival is at stake, we have a basic responsibility to our species to venture to other worlds."

cleardot.gif
Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot, 1994

Beautiful and wise. Can I be on your space ship?

Every planet we go to has an expiration date.

I would love to go to another planet that has no intelligent life so we can easily take it over. You and me will take the Bahamas of that world or maybe its Africa. Me Tarzan you Jane.

god your so techincal

we will find a solution to all tech problems

doesent matter

just costs money

question is

do we want to go to space ?

my spaceship doesent need speed

its a generationship for imortals

a paradise in space

Forum List

Back