Interpetation of the "Mark of the beast"

I had a recent discussion with a born again christian who believes that the end of times is near, and will be here within his life time. He pointed to prophesy and is looking for the mark of the beast as a clear sign that he is right. I pointed out to him that the concept of prophesy is flawed because if you know the prophesy you can undo it. For example, I tell you you will be hit by a car at three pm on tuesday and die. You stay at home and don't leave the house and consequently you don't get hit by the car. Is the prophesy true or false? it turned out to be false because you knew ahead of time what would happen, so you changed your actions and thwarted the prophesy.

I told him that God had intended for us to heed the book of revelation and to change our ways before the outcome described comes to pass. He seems to believe that it will come to pass no matter what we do. If he is right what does that say about God giving us free will?

As an aside I would be curious to know what everyone else thinks about this so-called "mark of the beast". I believe that people have enough knowledge about the mark that there would be no way such a law requiring the mark would ever be accepted let alone passed.

Also, what is the mark interpeted to be? a tattoo, a microchip, social security number, or whatever. Where is the mark to be placed? on the forehead, hand, or anywhere on the body. How loosely is the prophesy interpeted? will any combination suffice?

I really don't put a lot of stock in Revelation. When you consider why it was written and how (probably under the influence of pyschotropic substances), it's easy to see the intent behind it: to get the fledging Christians who were starting to break away back in line so that the greatness of organized religion could march on.

I'd rather read the Gospel and pay attention to the things Christ actually did and said and be inspired by his acts.

The people that cling to revelation today do so with the same motive in which it was written: to scare people back in line.

Scare people? It's to give people hope. That even though we will pass through dark times, God will save those who follow Him.

I didn't read the "letters to the seven churches" as a "Keep up the good work, boys."

I guess it gives you hope if you are the 120K or so people that will be in heaven at the time. Everyone else is screwed.

Theologians have and will argue if Revelation was divinely inspired until the events in the book come to pass (if they come to pass).

I make little sense out of it and find it's apocalyptic version of the end day to be out of line with the Gospel.

Therefore, I don't fixate on it.

Forum List

Back