Interpetation of the "Mark of the beast"

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by spectrumc01, May 14, 2011.

1. spectrumc01

spectrumc01 I give you....the TRUTH

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +260
    I had a recent discussion with a born again christian who believes that the end of times is near, and will be here within his life time. He pointed to prophesy and is looking for the mark of the beast as a clear sign that he is right. I pointed out to him that the concept of prophesy is flawed because if you know the prophesy you can undo it. For example, I tell you you will be hit by a car at three pm on tuesday and die. You stay at home and don't leave the house and consequently you don't get hit by the car. Is the prophesy true or false? it turned out to be false because you knew ahead of time what would happen, so you changed your actions and thwarted the prophesy.

I told him that God had intended for us to heed the book of revelation and to change our ways before the outcome described comes to pass. He seems to believe that it will come to pass no matter what we do. If he is right what does that say about God giving us free will?

As an aside I would be curious to know what everyone else thinks about this so-called "mark of the beast". I believe that people have enough knowledge about the mark that there would be no way such a law requiring the mark would ever be accepted let alone passed.

Also, what is the mark interpeted to be? a tattoo, a microchip, social security number, or whatever. Where is the mark to be placed? on the forehead, hand, or anywhere on the body. How loosely is the prophesy interpeted? will any combination suffice?

2. RadiomanATL

RadiomanATL Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,836
    I'm the one slated to do the marking.

Don't worry, I haven't started yet.

3. AVG-JOE

AVG-JOE American Mutt Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    :lol:

4. AVG-JOE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    I'm still long in stocks - I'll bet $1.00 he is too if he's under 55, not broke and not stupid.

Fortunately, most people live their lives with a reasonable grasp of reality and some semblance of hope in spite of the whole 'religion thing'.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  5. geauxtohell

geauxtohell Choose your weapon.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,155
    I really don't put a lot of stock in Revelation. When you consider why it was written and how (probably under the influence of pyschotropic substances), it's easy to see the intent behind it: to get the fledging Christians who were starting to break away back in line so that the greatness of organized religion could march on.

I'd rather read the Gospel and pay attention to the things Christ actually did and said and be inspired by his acts.

The people that cling to revelation today do so with the same motive in which it was written: to scare people back in line.

6. AVG-JOE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,017
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cbX4DUACYU]YouTube - MARGARITAVILLE[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVdhZwK7cS8]YouTube - The Pina Colada Song[/ame]

7. Wingsofwind

Wingsofwind Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +72
    I have not done a lot of studying on the mark of the beast, but I would suggest you do a bit of research on the teaching of 'free will' in the Bible. You just may find out that a lot of what is taught in the churches today is false teachings

8. bodecea

bodecea Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,661
    Or so you want us to believe......:eusa_whistle:

9. KSigMason

KSigMason Traveling Templar

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I am also curious about the mark that is put on the 144,000 chosen of God that is placed on their forehead. Ironically when studying this, I found that the Hindu's believe Vishnu marks his loyal few with a "V" on their forehead. Vishnu also appears as Kalki (his last avatar) who is the savior of the righteous and also rides a white horse.

10. Sherry

Sherry You're not the boss of me Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,084
    Have you ever seen the Final Destination movies??:eek:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1