INTERNET TV’S BIG CHANCE TO OUST CABLE IS ALMOST HERE

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
466905928-STORY-660x523.jpg

After another night of being unable to access a program on my local cable On Demand, I'm almost to the point of seeking an alternate.

But, this? Why if my cable company is my ISP? How's that gonna work?

Read the story @ Internet TV s Big Chance to Oust Cable Is Almost Here WIRED

After another night of being unable to access a program on my local cable On Demand, I'm almost to the point of seeking an alternate.

I cut the cord just last night. Over a week ago, when cable sent me a letter saying my rate was going up by $40. a month, I had it disconnected and went down to their local access option, much cheaper. After a week of little on there I wanted to watch, I called them last night and cut the final cord. They said my Internet and phone would stay the same amount. $52. for ISP and $20. for phone. ( bundled )

I have two Roku devices on my TVs and Netflix, through them. I have subscribed to Pandora for years. I am good to go, with a savings of $924. big ones, a year. :eusa_dance:

Or, if I had stayed with their whole package, including extended cable with two DVRs, I would be spending $2,400 a year more.

My newest Chromebook with a 15.6 inch screen streams my favorite news channel for free. It has great speakers and with an HD 1080 screen.

I couldn't be more pleased. :thup:

Last edited:
I haven't had cable in years, and I don't miss it. Two co-workers of mine are always complaining that their Comcast bill is over $300 dollars a month, and then they complain when they are broke by payday. I never claimed to work with geniuses. :D

Haven't paid for cable in over 5 years and never missed anything. It is rather funny when my co-workers refer to commercials that they have seen (like the infamous 'hump day' commercial) because I have no idea what they are talking about. I cut the cord because I couldn't stand the commercials. Much cheaper this way as well.

My computer is hooked up through my television so I watch TV almost exactly the same as anyone else does without the commercials. Got a 120+ screen on a front side projector too - ill never buy another standard TV after that baby. It is fantastic.

It's not gonna work. These services are nothing but streaming video. Until someone can provide a way for people to instantly turn on and flip through live tv channels no one is going to oust anything.

we dropped cable months ago....we have netflix, hulu plus and the new sling tv....at this point we no longer enjoy real tv...we are spoiled by watching what we want when we want...

i would love to do the stand alone hbo but then the bill starts getting back up there...

After the last week, I'm almost ready to toss the TV in the trash. Hundreds of channels and absolutely nothing worthwhile watching in the evenings!

The cable media now runs the same show at least three times daily, unless there is a prepaid commercial program on....It's time to dump the cable end...

It's not gonna work. These services are nothing but streaming video. Until someone can provide a way for people to instantly turn on and flip through live tv channels no one is going to oust anything.
You are incorrect. It is already happening right now.

Sorry no there is no internet service that I can connect to my tv and go like regular cable.

Sorry no there is no internet service that I can connect to my tv and go like regular cable.
No there isn't and cable will stick around because there will always be people like you - people that are comfortable with the current way things are and do not want to change. The majority of people will move on though. Right now I choose what I want to watch, when I want to watch it and it is completely commercial free. I cannot fathom how anyone would be willing to allow the networks to decide what you are going to watch and when.

I look forward to the day that quality programs are not killed because some idiot in the network put the show into a bad time slot or married it to the wrong network.

I hate to break it you but most people are like me. They don't want fire up computers and spend time loading sites to view one thing. The demand is clear and the tech exists to provide the services. The question is why has no one done it.

Well your behind time.... https://www.sling.com/

I have not had cable for several years and have never looked back.
I have Netflix/HuluPlus and Sling TV...I rent new movies with VUDU or Amazon.

Through Sling TV I have AMC (Walking Dead), but I wait till Monday and download it via torrent without commercials.
I don't miss paying well over $100 a month for 215 channels, of which I might watch 5.

P.S. - By the end of this year almost 10% of US Households will have highspeed internet, but no cable. Soo..your premise of "no one will do this" is a bit off.

We have become saturated with "watching screens", from TV to iPads and now Apple watches!! I heard a techie guru say last weekend that "wearables" are the future and laptops-computers are on their way to the junkyard. The future is now.

I hate to break it you but most people are like me. They don't want fire up computers and spend time loading sites to view one thing. The demand is clear and the tech exists to provide the services. The question is why has no one done it.
Sorry to burst your bubble but no, most are not like you. The tech was never the problem - the infrastructure is FAR more complicated than the actual tech part.

You no longer need a computer btw - this is all seamless now with services that FAR outmatch current network cable. The networks are catching on (on demand is growing) and they will soo move to take a large share of this market.

Well your behind time.... https://www.sling.com/

I have not had cable for several years and have never looked back.
I have Netflix/HuluPlus and Sling TV...I rent new movies with VUDU or Amazon.

Through Sling TV I have AMC (Walking Dead), but I wait till Monday and download it via torrent without commercials.
I don't miss paying well over $100 a month for 215 channels, of which I might watch 5.

P.S. - By the end of this year almost 10% of US Households will have highspeed internet, but no cable. Soo..your premise of "no one will do this" is a bit off.
I never said no one is doing it. You Millenniials love to watch tv via iPhone and illegal torrents. I said there is no service that lets you turn on the tv and flip through the channels as you confirmed.

Forum List

Back