Internet troll identities to be revealed

Websites to be forced to identify trolls under new measures

Websites will soon be forced to identify people who have posted defamatory messages online.

New government proposals say victims have a right to know who is behind malicious messages without the need for costly legal battles.

The powers will be balanced by measures to prevent false claims in order to get material removed.

But privacy advocates are worried websites might end up divulging user details in a wider range of cases.

Last week, a British woman won a court order forcing Facebook to identify users who had harassed her.

Nicola Brookes had been falsely branded a paedophile and drug dealer by users - known as trolls - on Facebook.

Facebook, which did not contest the order, will now reveal the IP addresses of people who had abused her so she can prosecute them.

The new powers, to be added to the Defamation Bill, would make this process far less time-consuming and costly, the government said.

Complying with requests would afford the website greater protection from being sued in the event of a defamation claim.

The new rules would apply to all websites - regardless of where they are hosted - but the claimant would need to be able to show that the UK was the right place to bring the action.

End to 'scurrilous rumour'
Currently, in legal terms, every website "hit" - visit - on a defamatory article can be counted as a separate offence.

This means many websites remove articles as soon as a defamation claim is made - either rightly or wrongly.

"Website operators are in principle liable as publishers for everything that appears on their sites, even though the content is often determined by users," said Justice Secretary Ken Clarke.

"But most operators are not in a position to know whether the material posted is defamatory or not and very often - faced with a complaint - they will immediately remove material.

"Our proposed approach will mean that website operators have a defence against libel as long as they identify the authors of allegedly defamatory material when requested to do so by a complainant."

Mr Clarke said the measures would mean an end to "scurrilous rumour and allegation" being posted online without fear of adequate punishment.

"The government wants a libel regime for the internet that makes it possible for people to protect their reputations effectively but also ensures that information online can't be easily censored by casual threats of litigation against website operators.

"It will be very important to ensure that these measures do not inadvertently expose genuine whistleblowers, and we are committed to getting the detail right to minimise this risk."

BBC News - Websites to be forced to identify trolls under new measures

Well done Ms Brookes. :clap2:

But it will of course get worse before it gets better.

Trolling abuse got worse for victim Nicola Brookes after Facebook victory - Telegraph
Apparently, the bravest Brits died in WWII.

How far the Empire has fallen. :cool:

Well, I could also state how it sucks for privacy and freedom on the internet, just because some crybaby got upset when someone called them names.

Your position is that you should be able to say anything about anyone with impunity? Irrespective of whether it's true? Irrespective of whether your intent is malicious? Irrespective or whether you know the intent will be damaging, and even intend it to be damaging?

See the SCOTUS ruling on "Stolen Valor".

Your position is that you should be able to say anything about anyone with impunity? Irrespective of whether it's true? Irrespective of whether your intent is malicious? Irrespective or whether you know the intent will be damaging, and even intend it to be damaging?

Damaging? In what way?

Is an accusation on the internet admissable in court?
Is an accusation on the internet going to get you fired?
Is an accusation on the internet going to lead to divorce?

You should be able to say it, and others have the right to shun you.

Let's say there is some dopey bitch on the internet.

Let's say her name is -- I dunno -- pick one -- Rawi.

Let's say some other person on the interwebs with a username of Fryability insults Rawi.

Can Rawi REALLY claim her reputation was damaged?

How? Nobody knows who the fuck Rawi is in the real world.

At most, her allegedly good name on one interwebz message board has been cast into SOME shadow of doubt.

The whining here is not just pathetic, it is absurd.

Rawi is a crybaby. Nener neener. Oh NO! What has I done? NOW my username could get all sued and shit!

:cuckoo:

Precisely the issue.

Websites to be forced to identify trolls under new measures

Websites will soon be forced to identify people who have posted defamatory messages online.

New government proposals say victims have a right to know who is behind malicious messages without the need for costly legal battles.

The powers will be balanced by measures to prevent false claims in order to get material removed.

But privacy advocates are worried websites might end up divulging user details in a wider range of cases.

Last week, a British woman won a court order forcing Facebook to identify users who had harassed her.

Nicola Brookes had been falsely branded a paedophile and drug dealer by users - known as trolls - on Facebook.

Facebook, which did not contest the order, will now reveal the IP addresses of people who had abused her so she can prosecute them.

The new powers, to be added to the Defamation Bill, would make this process far less time-consuming and costly, the government said.

Complying with requests would afford the website greater protection from being sued in the event of a defamation claim.

The new rules would apply to all websites - regardless of where they are hosted - but the claimant would need to be able to show that the UK was the right place to bring the action.

End to 'scurrilous rumour'
Currently, in legal terms, every website "hit" - visit - on a defamatory article can be counted as a separate offence.

This means many websites remove articles as soon as a defamation claim is made - either rightly or wrongly.

"Website operators are in principle liable as publishers for everything that appears on their sites, even though the content is often determined by users," said Justice Secretary Ken Clarke.

"But most operators are not in a position to know whether the material posted is defamatory or not and very often - faced with a complaint - they will immediately remove material.

"Our proposed approach will mean that website operators have a defence against libel as long as they identify the authors of allegedly defamatory material when requested to do so by a complainant."

Mr Clarke said the measures would mean an end to "scurrilous rumour and allegation" being posted online without fear of adequate punishment.

"The government wants a libel regime for the internet that makes it possible for people to protect their reputations effectively but also ensures that information online can't be easily censored by casual threats of litigation against website operators.

"It will be very important to ensure that these measures do not inadvertently expose genuine whistleblowers, and we are committed to getting the detail right to minimise this risk."

BBC News - Websites to be forced to identify trolls under new measures

Well done Ms Brookes. :clap2:

But it will of course get worse before it gets better.

Trolling abuse got worse for victim Nicola Brookes after Facebook victory - Telegraph
Apparently, the bravest Brits died in WWII.

How far the Empire has fallen. :cool:

Apparently you've been smoking the drapes.

Well, I could also state how it sucks for privacy and freedom on the internet, just because some crybaby got upset when someone called them names.

Post a link and I'll read it.

ahh

The Constitution is going to take another hit.

don'tcha just love whiny fucking crybabies and the life is not fair crowd.

You are an idiot. The Constitution gaurantees "privacy"...not anonymity.

What part of who I am is not my privacy?

I get you're a liberal and have no care for freedoms or the Constitution, but do put on that thinking cap.

YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO KNOW WHO I AM.

^that's a hint

ahh

This may shock you... but the rest of the world is not covered by the US Constitution.

if it happens over there, the left will demand it here.

You know this as well as I do.

And since the internet is international....

ahh

Not particularly. But I'll take them over the phony-tough, hide behind an IP address crowd seven days out of seven.

If you've got something to say, stand up and say it, let people know what your opinion is, and don't bitch about having to take responsibility for it.

"Boo-hoo, I wanna say shit about people but I don't want anyone to know it was me that said it." Don'tcha just love whiny fucking crybabies and the life is not fair crowd.

One, come up with your own schtick.

Two, who gives a fuck what people on the internet say?

every single last site I've seen has an ignore function. If a meanies being mean, ignore them and they are talking to themselves.

Supreme Court ruling on Stolen Valor Act rests on 1st Amendment - latimes.com

The U.S. Supreme Court's decision Thursday striking down the Stolen Valor Act says the 1st Amendment "protects the speech we detest as well as the speech we embrace," according to Justice Anthony M. Kennedy.

By a 6-3 decision, the high court said the right to lie about medals and military service, while "contemptible" and worthy of outrage and ridicule, is protected by the 1st Amendment.

To allow the government to outlaw certain speech because it is based on false statements would invite a Ministry of Truth as written about by George Orwell in his novel "1984" about totalitarianism, Kennedy said.

But go to the corner and say that some ******* need killing, and it's off to jail.

ahh

Not particularly. But I'll take them over the phony-tough, hide behind an IP address crowd seven days out of seven.

If you've got something to say, stand up and say it, let people know what your opinion is, and don't bitch about having to take responsibility for it.

"Boo-hoo, I wanna say shit about people but I don't want anyone to know it was me that said it." Don'tcha just love whiny fucking crybabies and the life is not fair crowd.

every single last site I've seen has an ignore function. If a meanies being mean, ignore them and they are talking to themselves.

One, you're clearly very proud of your schtick, but don't let the fact that I quoted it go to your head.

Two, depends what they say, where they say it, and how it impacts you. Remember, I'm referring specifically to cases like the one mentioned in the OP, not the fatuous example Ravi brought up.

The fact that you have the ability to ignore a comment when it is made is irrelevant within that context.

If someone develops a fake Facebook page for you, takes your personal pictures in order add credibility to their attempts to deliberately misrepresent you, and then generates material specifically with the intent of giving anyone who sees the profile the impression that you (not your avatar, not your "screen name", you personally) are a vile human being, a pedophile and a drug dealer, victims should have the ability to defend their character in public and reveal that such posts were malicious and untrue. Furthermore they should have the ability to prosecute those who have put them in the position of having to defend themselves from this sort of behavior.

Everyone knows that social media profiling is now used by banks (to determine creditworthiness) and employers (to assess character), among other things. Are you seriously saying that the damage done to a person's character by attacks of this nature is something people just need to grow thicker skin about and that it has no real impact on their lives? Are you seriously saying that people should have the ability to behave like this and still have the right to expect that their privacy will be respected?

Last edited:

Supreme Court ruling on Stolen Valor Act rests on 1st Amendment - latimes.com

The U.S. Supreme Court's decision Thursday striking down the Stolen Valor Act says the 1st Amendment "protects the speech we detest as well as the speech we embrace," according to Justice Anthony M. Kennedy.

By a 6-3 decision, the high court said the right to lie about medals and military service, while "contemptible" and worthy of outrage and ridicule, is protected by the 1st Amendment.

To allow the government to outlaw certain speech because it is based on false statements would invite a Ministry of Truth as written about by George Orwell in his novel "1984" about totalitarianism, Kennedy said.

But go to the corner and say that some ******* need killing, and it's off to jail.

OK, I've read it.

One, you're clearly very proud of your schtick, but don't let the fact that I quoted it go to your head.

Two, depends what they say, where they say it, and how it impacts you. Remember, I'm referring specifically to cases like the one mentioned in the OP, not the fatuous example Ravi brought up.

The fact that you have the ability to ignore a comment when it is made is irrelevant within that context.

If someone develops a fake Facebook page for you, takes your personal pictures in order add credibility to their attempts to deliberately misrepresent you, and then generates material specifically with the intent of giving anyone who sees the profile the impression that you (not your avatar, not your "screen name", you personally) are a vie human being, a pedophile and a drug dealer, victims should have the ability to defend their character in public and reveal that such posts were malicious and untrue. Furthermore they should have the ability to prosecute those who have put them in the position of having to defend themselves from this sort of behavior.

Everyone knows that social media profiling is now used by banks (to determine creditworthiness) and employers (to assess character), among other things. Are you seriously saying that the damage done to a person's character by attacks of this nature is something people just need to grow thicker skin about and that it has no real impact on their lives? Are you seriously saying that people should have the ability to behave like this and still have the right to expect that their privacy will be respected?

ok, now it seems you're talking about ID theft and slander.

That's not being a troll.

Damaging? In what way?

Is an accusation on the internet admissable in court?
Is an accusation on the internet going to get you fired?
Is an accusation on the internet going to lead to divorce?

You should be able to say it, and others have the right to shun you.

Let's say there is some dopey bitch on the internet.

Let's say her name is -- I dunno -- pick one -- Rawi.

Let's say some other person on the interwebs with a username of Fryability insults Rawi.

Can Rawi REALLY claim her reputation was damaged?

How? Nobody knows who the fuck Rawi is in the real world.

At most, her allegedly good name on one interwebz message board has been cast into SOME shadow of doubt.

The whining here is not just pathetic, it is absurd.

Rawi is a crybaby. Nener neener. Oh NO! What has I done? NOW my username could get all sued and shit!

:cuckoo:

Precisely the issue.
:confused: You aren't making sense. You answered my post as if I got the information wrong and liarbility's as if he got the information right.

ahh

This may shock you... but the rest of the world is not covered by the US Constitution.

if it happens over there, the left will demand it here.

You know this as well as I do.

And since the internet is international....
Very funny. I started a thread on this a couple weeks ago in which a Republican politician was suing anonymous posters for talking trash about her on the internet.

different... there are always restrictions on defamatory speech.

you aren't defaming anyone if you lie about your own background. it may make you pondscum... but it isn't actionable.

Internet troll identities to be revealed

Bout time... :clap:

Yep. About the only people here that will be safe are on Huggy's List. The rest are toast. Huggy, You better fuel up your boat.

Yanno...in all seriousness ... The anonymity of the internet is highly over rated. It hasn't been a problem for me..and I have made it very easy to locate HUGGY if one so chooses. Peeps still gonna talk shit.. Maybe tone it down a scosh but I think it is a good thing that you shouldn't say anything anywhere you wouldn't say to someone's face. Me? I'm an asshole as has been pointed out by many here..and rightfully so... :lol: But that's just me.. That's the way I talk to people in real life if they rub me the wrong way. Fortunately I have found a little nitch where I can get away with it. I don't talk shit to everyone I know.. Just like everyone.. I have people in my life that I treasure and they get treated as such.

There is one trick I have learned long ago and that is I disconnect my horn in all of my vehicles. The horn is the least important feature of any car IMO.

I welcome the internet being more personal and less impersonal. Real people have more clout than imaginary ones. When ya e-mail your congressperson it matters more to them that you are in fact so and so from thier district.

One good thing that will happen if it becomes easy to find a real location for a poster is that the language one uses will clean up dramatically. That can't be a bad thing. Some people, myself included, will probably have to invest in a program that finds foul language and, like spell check..gives them a second chance to choose thier words more wisely. :lol

Forum List

Back