Internet troll identities to be revealed

tigerbob

Increasingly jaded.
Oct 27, 2007
Michigan
Websites to be forced to identify trolls under new measures

Websites will soon be forced to identify people who have posted defamatory messages online.

New government proposals say victims have a right to know who is behind malicious messages without the need for costly legal battles.

The powers will be balanced by measures to prevent false claims in order to get material removed.

But privacy advocates are worried websites might end up divulging user details in a wider range of cases.

Last week, a British woman won a court order forcing Facebook to identify users who had harassed her.

Nicola Brookes had been falsely branded a paedophile and drug dealer by users - known as trolls - on Facebook.

Facebook, which did not contest the order, will now reveal the IP addresses of people who had abused her so she can prosecute them.

The new powers, to be added to the Defamation Bill, would make this process far less time-consuming and costly, the government said.

Complying with requests would afford the website greater protection from being sued in the event of a defamation claim.

The new rules would apply to all websites - regardless of where they are hosted - but the claimant would need to be able to show that the UK was the right place to bring the action.

End to 'scurrilous rumour'
Currently, in legal terms, every website "hit" - visit - on a defamatory article can be counted as a separate offence.

This means many websites remove articles as soon as a defamation claim is made - either rightly or wrongly.

"Website operators are in principle liable as publishers for everything that appears on their sites, even though the content is often determined by users," said Justice Secretary Ken Clarke.

"But most operators are not in a position to know whether the material posted is defamatory or not and very often - faced with a complaint - they will immediately remove material.

"Our proposed approach will mean that website operators have a defence against libel as long as they identify the authors of allegedly defamatory material when requested to do so by a complainant."

Mr Clarke said the measures would mean an end to "scurrilous rumour and allegation" being posted online without fear of adequate punishment.

"The government wants a libel regime for the internet that makes it possible for people to protect their reputations effectively but also ensures that information online can't be easily censored by casual threats of litigation against website operators.

"It will be very important to ensure that these measures do not inadvertently expose genuine whistleblowers, and we are committed to getting the detail right to minimise this risk."

BBC News - Websites to be forced to identify trolls under new measures

Well done Ms Brookes. :clap2:

But it will of course get worse before it gets better.

Trolling abuse got worse for victim Nicola Brookes after Facebook victory - Telegraph

Well, I could also state how it sucks for privacy and freedom on the internet, just because some crybaby got upset when someone called them names.

Your position is that you should be able to say anything about anyone with impunity? Irrespective of whether it's true? Irrespective of whether your intent is malicious? Irrespective or whether you know the intent will be damaging, and even intend it to be damaging?

ahh

The Constitution is going to take another hit.

don'tcha just love whiny fucking crybabies and the life is not fair crowd.

Not particularly. But I'll take them over the phony-tough, hide behind an IP address crowd seven days out of seven.

If you've got something to say, stand up and say it, let people know what your opinion is, and don't bitch about having to take responsibility for it.

"Boo-hoo, I wanna say shit about people but I don't want anyone to know it was me that said it." Don'tcha just love whiny fucking crybabies and the life is not fair crowd.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
ahh

Not particularly. But I'll take them over the phony-tough, hide behind an IP address crowd seven days out of seven.

If you've got something to say, stand up and say it, let people know what your opinion is, and don't bitch about having to take responsibility for it.

"Boo-hoo, I wanna say shit about people but I don't want anyone to know it was me that said it." Don'tcha just love whiny fucking crybabies and the life is not fair crowd.

So, if I said to you here, "you're a stupid asshole that hangs around school yards" you would consider that grounds for knowing my identity?

ahh

So, if I said to you here, "you're a stupid asshole that hangs around school yards" you would consider that grounds for knowing my identity?

It won't even come to that. As soon as it is legal and possible you can get that app for your I-phone/pad/laptop.

True story.. If there is money to be made from it...it will happen.

Well, I could also state how it sucks for privacy and freedom on the internet, just because some crybaby got upset when someone called them names.

Your position is that you should be able to say anything about anyone with impunity? Irrespective of whether it's true? Irrespective of whether your intent is malicious? Irrespective or whether you know the intent will be damaging, and even intend it to be damaging?

Damaging? In what way?

Is an accusation on the internet admissable in court?
Is an accusation on the internet going to get you fired?
Is an accusation on the internet going to lead to divorce?

You should be able to say it, and others have the right to shun you.

ahh

Sigh. No, Ravi.

Damaging? In what way?

Try reading the OP.

Damaging? In what way?

Let's say there is some dopey bitch on the internet.

Let's say her name is -- I dunno -- pick one -- Rawi.

Let's say some other person on the interwebs with a username of Fryability insults Rawi.

Can Rawi REALLY claim her reputation was damaged?

How? Nobody knows who the fuck Rawi is in the real world.

At most, her allegedly good name on one interwebz message board has been cast into SOME shadow of doubt.

The whining here is not just pathetic, it is absurd.

Rawi is a crybaby. Nener neener. Oh NO! What has I done? NOW my username could get all sued and shit!

:cuckoo:

Forum List

Back