Internet love?

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
THE HIGH COST OF BEING A FOOL FOR ONLINE LOVE

Melinda is a 20-year-old student in Western Pennsylvania who has watched her mother suffer deeply during the past 10 years, losing her husband and her job and waging an intense battle with agoraphobia – fear of public spaces – which progressed to the point where she is essentially homebound.

Now, the 53-year-old woman’s one hope of finding love later in life – the Internet – has turned against her in a cruel way. For the past year, Melinda has helplessly watched as her mom has slowly fallen for a long-distance, online lover who clearly is scamming her. Initially the man, who gave his name as Michael and said he was in Texas, played the part of desperate lover, typing sweet nothings into a chat room and pledging a happy-ever-after life – beautiful homes, cars, luxurious trips. Soon, though, he said he was sent on an emergency trip to Nigeria. Then came a curious request: Michael said he needed $500 so he could leave the country and visit the family in Pennsylvania. Melinda’s mom wired the money to Africa. Then came another request, and another. In all, Melinda thinks her mom wired nearly $10,000 to Michael, each time thinking the payment would enable her lover to visit or help him escape a dire situation. The romance has so financially drained the family that Melinda and her mom have been threatened with foreclosure. Still, Melinda said, her mom continues to wire money to Michael.

The high cost of being a fool for online love - The Red Tape Chronicles - msnbc.com

interesting read on scam artists who prey on lonely people on the net

btw if you really feel the desire to send money to some stranger.....why not find a charity that hooks you up with a kid somewhere...perhaps fix a kid's smile etc....or you can send it to me~ that works for me!

THE HIGH COST OF BEING A FOOL FOR ONLINE LOVE

Melinda is a 20-year-old student in Western Pennsylvania who has watched her mother suffer deeply during the past 10 years, losing her husband and her job and waging an intense battle with agoraphobia – fear of public spaces – which progressed to the point where she is essentially homebound.

Now, the 53-year-old woman’s one hope of finding love later in life – the Internet – has turned against her in a cruel way. For the past year, Melinda has helplessly watched as her mom has slowly fallen for a long-distance, online lover who clearly is scamming her. Initially the man, who gave his name as Michael and said he was in Texas, played the part of desperate lover, typing sweet nothings into a chat room and pledging a happy-ever-after life – beautiful homes, cars, luxurious trips. Soon, though, he said he was sent on an emergency trip to Nigeria. Then came a curious request: Michael said he needed $500 so he could leave the country and visit the family in Pennsylvania. Melinda’s mom wired the money to Africa. Then came another request, and another. In all, Melinda thinks her mom wired nearly $10,000 to Michael, each time thinking the payment would enable her lover to visit or help him escape a dire situation. The romance has so financially drained the family that Melinda and her mom have been threatened with foreclosure. Still, Melinda said, her mom continues to wire money to Michael.

The high cost of being a fool for online love - The Red Tape Chronicles - msnbc.com

interesting read on scam artists who prey on lonely people on the net

btw if you really feel the desire to send money to some stranger.....why not find a charity that hooks you up with a kid somewhere...perhaps fix a kid's smile etc....or you can send it to me~ that works for me!

You're Nigerian ???:eek:

duckie, its the internet....i can be whatever you want me to be....

21 and impish....30 and eager....just tell me what you want?

and dont you dare say you dont want no 57 yr old...

duckie, its the internet....i can be whatever you want me to be....

21 and impish....30 and eager....just tell me what you want?

and dont you dare say you dont want no 57 yr old...

Damn good point Bones----how about just rich and generous ? I'll PM you my Paypay account #.

but yes people on the net can be anyone or anything they want to be....do you really think all these characters are what they seem?

is samson really a burning hunk of luv with an otocpus in his pocket?

come now....think about it....the young ladies in the sexy av's....do you really think they come close...and i was on a virtual reality thing (what do you call them now , extinct?) where a man pretended to be a woman for years....he even went as far as calling men and having phone bone with them..then of course the man swore it was a woman ..they could tell lol....finally the man gave out too much into and that lead to the discovery of a transexual web site he was on....damn ...all them guys who had phone boned with 'her' felt a wee bit foolish

and i had a friend sending money to a honey in new zealand....o my....he was spending it like rock star

I'm sorry but anyone that dumb deserves to be taken to the cleaners.

Let's see...talk of beautiful homes, cars, luxurious trips, but all of a sudden the person can't come up with $500 of their own?

P.T. Barnum had it right.

Maybe in time this will pass, but for many (especially my age) the 'net has been like a drug. MSNBC had a special "tallhotblonde" about a man who committed murder for his 'net lover. And that is hardly the only such case.

If as the Beatles informed us:

"Money can't buy me love" ?​

Then truly, it's not quite as useful as many of us think it is.

But I have noted (on my rollercoaster ride of personal finance over the decades) that I am both more loving, and more LOVEABLE, when I'm not sweating making the rent.

Now, I do not think money is buying me love.

But I defintely think that having money gives me peace of mind to focus on higher order needs LIKE loving and being lovable, too.

I think Internet dating can lead to possible love, but I don't think it should be a substitute for ALL KINDS social interaction, like this lady seems to treat it as.

Forum List

Back