Internet connection

Freewill

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2011
Sorry if this has been asked before.

Right now the internet options I have are, Comcast, DSL with Verizon, and Hugh's net. Dish is advertising that they too have internet access but I am not sure how it works.

Any way, I have Comcast and I pretty much hate them. They sucked me back in a little bit ago lying all the way. They promised HS internet up to 100 Gbs. Well obviously up to can mean 0. When I called they told me that I should expect 73, which is what I do get with speed test. They also did not mention that regional sports was an added 5 bucks per month, they just stuck it on the bill. So I want change.

DSL works OK for posting on messages boards but not so much for streaming, at least it didn't that is why I got sucked in with Comcast.

Then I realized I was watching live TV on my phone using cellular.

My question, can I set up a mobile hotspot with my phone and use that for internet access? Would it be fast enough for the grandkids to play games?

Dish is satellite internet. Works exactly like Comcast but a little slower since the link is wireless from your dish to the ISP.

Your phone is going to be a large bottleneck. Even though its using another wireless technology its not really efficient at being a network hub/router. Then you have to figure the data costs.

Best bet is to stick with comcast unless you just cant stomach them anymore.

Right now the internet options I have are, Comcast, DSL with Verizon, and Hugh's net. Dish is advertising that they too have internet access but I am not sure how it works.

Any way, I have Comcast and I pretty much hate them. They sucked me back in a little bit ago lying all the way. They promised HS internet up to 100 Gbs. Well obviously up to can mean 0. When I called they told me that I should expect 73, which is what I do get with speed test. They also did not mention that regional sports was an added 5 bucks per month, they just stuck it on the bill. So I want change.

DSL works OK for posting on messages boards but not so much for streaming, at least it didn't that is why I got sucked in with Comcast.

My question, can I set up a mobile hotspot with my phone and use that for internet access? Would it be fast enough for the grandkids to play games?

Hotsops provide mobile connectivity and aren't really intended (in terms of speed or price) to replace a home internet connection.

You will find speeds much slower and unreasonably high costs and with data caps.

The Best Mobile Hotspots of 2017

>>>>

It's MBPS, Only Google offers gig, and only in selected markets.

Read your contract, there will be what is known as an SLA in it, a "service level agreement" that guarantees a certain minimum speed and a minimum uptime. You have the legal right to be refunded part or all of your bill if the ISP fails to meet the SLA.

Dish is satellite internet. Works exactly like Comcast but a little slower since the link is wireless from your dish to the ISP.

Your phone is going to be a large bottleneck. Even though its using another wireless technology its not really efficient at being a network hub/router. Then you have to figure the data costs.

So the dish would be more like Hugh's net??? Hugh's net which I have found very few who think it is work a crap.

It's MBPS, Only Google offers gig, and only in selected markets.

Read your contract, there will be what is known as an SLA in it, a "service level agreement" that guarantees a certain minimum speed and a minimum uptime. You have the legal right to be refunded part or all of your bill if the ISP fails to meet the SLA.
MBPS OK, my bad.

What contract? I didn't receive a contract with anything on it. Or I did as I do and ignored it. I will look for one but I am pretty much stuck with Comcast. I am going to call them and bitch about the 5 dollars. The reason I switched is that the guy told me I would get faster internet for less money. I even paid a penalty to get out of Dish because he said I would pay that back relatively fast. Well he didn't tell me that there were no additional rooms as was with dish. I had to pay for HD, which after Dish I really couldn't stand the difference. So I end up paying almost the exact amount I was paying before, maybe even a little more. I thought I had asked all the right questions, but was stupid.

So the dish would be more like Hugh's net??? Hugh's net which I have found very few who think it is work a crap.
Depends on how much bandwidth they are promising you. I have used neither as I require more down load speed than they can offer.

Dish only uses satellite in areas that have no other means of internet connection. Most often they farm it out local and smaller national IPs which means you can have good (not great) connectivity and speed or nothing but headaches.

Avoid hughes net like the plague! Slowest frustrating shit there is!

Hughesnet internet reviews 2016

Hotsops provide mobile connectivity and aren't really intended (in terms of speed or price) to replace a home internet connection.

You will find speeds much slower and unreasonably high costs and with data caps.

The Best Mobile Hotspots of 2017

>>>>
I had hotsops before, best for dipping your bread into........... :D

Other than a brief stint using FIOs (got screwed on pricing) and having to put up with Time Warner Cable when we were in El Paso we've used Comcast forever. Yeah it's kinda expensive but it's worth the expense and we've experience extremely little in the way of service issues.
As for using a phone to tether (use as a hotspot) that will eat up all your allotted download size in a matter of days and will drain your phone even when plugged in. If you have a wifi modem then you can use your phone on the home wifi instead of using cellular time.

Dish only uses satellite in areas that have no other means of internet connection. Most often they farm it out local and smaller national IPs which means you can have good (not great) connectivity and speed or nothing but headaches.
How do they get it from the dish to the local ISP? It has to hit a satellite unless they provide a second physical link.

How do they get it from the dish to the local ISP? It has to hit a satellite unless they provide a second physical link.
Generally via the phone line, Dish simply contracts with IPs.

Didnt know Dish uses DSL for internet. That must be painfully slow.

Some of the larger IPs they use have cable but that's typically found in large metropolitan areas everywhere else it generally DSL. Oh and DSL has improved dramatically so don't sell them short just yet.

Some of the larger IPs they use have cable but that's typically found in large metropolitan areas everywhere else it generally DSL. Oh and DSL has improved dramatically so don't sell them short just yet.
DSL is limited due to the size of the medium. The only thing they can do to improve it is apply QOS which delays other traffic. I thnk top speed is something like 3mb download.

So it is DSL, same as through Verizon (No FIOS access)

So it is DSL, same as through Verizon (No FIOS access)
Most typically yes.

DSL is limited due to the size of the medium. The only thing they can do to improve it is apply QOS which delays other traffic. I thnk top speed is something like 3mb download.
I don't know how but in 2014 they were saying DSL was poised to hit a gig.

Forum List

Back