Internet Addiction and Popcorn Brain

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by chanel, Jun 26, 2011.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Does life online give you 'popcorn brain'? - CNN.com

This study did not surprise me. My fear is that young people in particular are suffering irreparable brain damage. Last year we had discussion about professors banning the use of laptops in class. I have a particular pet peeve about cell phones usage in high schools.

Ideas? Suggestions? Comments?

2. Truthmatters

Truthmatters BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,233
    Idiocracy in the making

3. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,660
    Does China operate with the same intellectual honesty that American researchers allegedly conform to? It doesn't seem that MRI's on a dozen and a half students proves anything. Did they have a control group?

4. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,348
    I would also like to know what other variables might be a factor too. Are these kids use a lot of pot or opiates? Do they exercise their brain or read good books or solve difficult puzzles?

I do think spending a lot of time in activity that doesn't stretch the brain or make you think can have a negative effect, but I would want to see a study like this confirmed.

However, I now have a craving for popcorn. I believe I'll go pop me some. :)

5. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Yes it was a small sample and of course we don't know if the damage is temporary or permanent. But it certainly warrants further research. I'm sure we're all aware of "being in the zone" thinking about a text, email, or USMB post, and consequently forget what we were supposed to be doing. The danger of addiction is powerful and kids are particularly vulnerable.

6. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Yes there was a control group. I just skimmed the abstract.

PLoS ONE: Microstructure Abnormalities in Adolescents with Internet Addiction Disorder

Brain research is expensive. I would imagine that most studies use small samples.

We do know that the brain is not fully developed until approx. age 25. This is what concerns me the most.

7. California Girl

California Girl BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,965
    You're a conservative, therefore you do not believe in education anyway. Chill.

:lol:

8. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Ha ha. I am a conservative who believes in education whole heartedly. Unfortunately, that's no longer the purpose of schools.

My students affectionately call me the "cell phone Nazi" I've explained that my number one job is to prevent brain damage (at least in my presence) lol

9. bill5

bill5 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Didn't surprise me in the least. It's not just the internet either; cell phones/computer games/iWhatevers, etc etc etc and ad nauseum...it's the "MTV era." God forbid you not have some mindless electronic doo-dad jammed in your face 24/7. Younger generations are growing up in an environment where they are far too over-stimulated and saturated in form-not-substance activities and focus a disturbing % of the time in this elecontronic real-yet-not-really-real world, vs being focused on who and where they actually are at.

ie put down the damned electronic crapola and go play out in the yard already. :cool: Even more disturbing is that they don't even get it, as it's the only way they've ever known (and hey "everybody is doing it"). I truly pity kids nowdays.

10. sparky

sparky VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +341
    kids are no more or less 'addicted' to the world than we were back when

the only change i see is the powers that be, in their relentless pechant to demonize today's kids one way or another, for their own gain