Internal Walmart Document Reveals Policy Of Paying Poverty Wages

I must say...I cant feel too much sympathy there.

She is offered a free high school education. That diploma opens doors, even joining military or something.

She is working PART time. She can get a second part time job.

As for being pregnant.....DONT HAVE SEX IF YOU CANT AFFORD A KID.

Shes in a tough position. But getting a meaningful life while being knocked up and working part time at WalMart isn't gonna happen. Thats not what jobs at WalMart and McD's are meant to be.

LOL. I work casual at the local fast food joint and I was able to move out of home and support myself for five years. I even got a loan to buy a car and I;m only working 25 hours a week - although I would prefer more.

She should be earning at least $14 an hour at Walmart.

Increasing the wages or adding more workers=higher prices! Do you want to pay more?

I would GLADLY pay more if it meant the employees were able to afford the rent and groceries.

Typical Yanks like yourself don't give a shit about the employees though. All you lot care is buying cheap shit.

By Alice Hines and Christina Wilkie

Two years ago, when she started working at the deli counter of a Walmart in Illinois, Lisa hoped that her job would amount to the beginning of a career, one that would pay enough to cover her bills and enable her to stay current on her student loan debt.

But despite one raise since, Lisa, who asked that only her first name be used, now earns just $9.10 an hour, or about $13,000 a year on part-time hours. Seven months pregnant, she recently filed for bankruptcy. With no alternatives at hand, Walmart now seems like a dead-end to poverty, she says.

"I don’t have underwear without holes in them," she said. "Everyone at work wears T-shirts that are threadbare. I have just enough to eat and get gas to make it to work for the next two weeks."

Lisa's experience sheds light on why a group claiming to represent tens of thousands of Walmart workers nationwide is planning strikes and other labor actions at as many as 1,000 stores next week on Black Friday, the biggest shopping day of the year. The actions are intended to protest what the group says are meager wages.

More: Walmart's Internal Compensation Documents Reveal Systematic Limit On Advancement

My God Loco, were do you get this stupid dead end logic from, comic books??

She can't quit Wal Mart or get a second job?

I hope she and a number of other idiots walk out on Black Friday and lose their jobs...

Do you comprehend the stupidity that you post to the world?

Increasing the wages or adding more workers=higher prices! Do you want to pay more?

I would GLADLY pay more if it meant the employees were able to afford the rent and groceries.

Typical Yanks like yourself don't give a shit about the employees though. All you lot care is buying cheap shit.

Are you aware that Liberals are the least likely demographic to buy an American Union made vehicle?

By Alice Hines and Christina Wilkie

Two years ago, when she started working at the deli counter of a Walmart in Illinois, Lisa hoped that her job would amount to the beginning of a career, one that would pay enough to cover her bills and enable her to stay current on her student loan debt.

But despite one raise since, Lisa, who asked that only her first name be used, now earns just $9.10 an hour, or about $13,000 a year on part-time hours. Seven months pregnant, she recently filed for bankruptcy. With no alternatives at hand, Walmart now seems like a dead-end to poverty, she says.

"I don’t have underwear without holes in them," she said. "Everyone at work wears T-shirts that are threadbare. I have just enough to eat and get gas to make it to work for the next two weeks."

Lisa's experience sheds light on why a group claiming to represent tens of thousands of Walmart workers nationwide is planning strikes and other labor actions at as many as 1,000 stores next week on Black Friday, the biggest shopping day of the year. The actions are intended to protest what the group says are meager wages.

More: Walmart's Internal Compensation Documents Reveal Systematic Limit On Advancement

My God Loco, were do you get this stupid dead end logic from, comic books??

She can't quit Wal Mart or get a second job?

I hope she and a number of other idiots walk out on Black Friday and lose their jobs...

Do you comprehend the stupidity that you post to the world?

It's Huffington Post spam. Or in other words, his normal.

Next a living wage- about $11 now...

How does it make life easlier if the value of the dollar decreases???

A minimum wage of $7 per hour buying milk for $2.50
Can charge to your $11 per hour buying milk for $4

You're not buying more with it...The only difference being the number on your pay check is higher while you're getting the same for it.

Market forces are important Franco!

Six members of the Walton family appear on the Forbes 400 list of the wealthiest Americans. Christy Walton, widow of the late John Walton, leads the clan at No. 6 with a net worth of $25.3 billion as of March 2012. She is also the richest woman in the world for the seventh year in a row, according to Forbes. Here are the other five:

No. 9: Jim Walton, $23.7 billion
No. 10: Alice Walton, $23.3 billion
No. 11: S. Robson Walton, oldest son of Sam Walton, $23.1 billion
No. 103: Ann Walton Kroenke, $3.9 billion
No. 139: Nancy Walton Laurie, $3.4 billion

That’s a grand total of $102.7 billion for the whole family.

More: PolitiFact | Bernie Sanders says Walmart heirs own more wealth than bottom 40 percent of Americans

rulings%2Ftom-true.gif

The Welfare Queen named Walmart

Wal-Mart is the model "low-road" corporation in the global economy. Its efficiency is celebrated; but its exploitation is caustic. The average pay of a Wal-Mart employee is $8.23 per hour, or an average yearly income of $14,000 -- not enough to lift a family out of poverty. Wal-Mart is infamous for requiring workers to work overtime off the books. It's been cited for locking workers in plants overnight. The company has been hauled into court for discriminating against female employees. And it is viciously, rabidly anti-union, crushing any attempt by its workers to organize to gain a fair share of the profits they help generate.

But Wal-Mart doesn't merely follow the low road; it drives its suppliers and its competitors into the same race. When Wal-Mart comes to town, it purposefully wipes out small mom-and-pop stores, leaving small towns looking like they were hit by a neutron bomb -- buildings intact, but people gone. Wal-Mart also undercuts big competitors that have unions and pay decent wages and benefits. They must slash wages, cut back on benefits or hang it up.

Given its size in the United States, Wal-Mart is a major force in driving wages down and forcing cutbacks in benefits. It is a central reason why we have an economy in which CEO salaries are up, stocks are up, but wages are down.

In China, Wal-Mart pushes its suppliers to lower their costs, generating sweatshops in which young workers -- primarily women -- are forced to work grotesque hours at subsistence wages. According to The Washington Post, Wal-Mart even pressures its suppliers to pay less than the Chinese minimum wage.

Wal-Mart also exploits taxpayers, for it is what Ronald Reagan would denounce as the leading corporate welfare queen. It's estimated that Wal-Mart's government subsidies total a whopping $2.7 billion, or $2,100 per employee. An internal memo to the board leaked recently reported that "our [health care] coverage is expensive for low-income families, and Wal-Mart has a significant percentage of associates and their children on public assistance." In fact, nearly one-half of the children of Wal-Mart employees are either on Medicaid or have no insurance at all.

While Wal-Mart is driving down wages and driving up public health care costs, its CEO and its owners are making out like bandits. The Walton family is the richest in the world. And they use their private wealth to foster their low-road policies. The Waltons donate millions to politics. Most goes to Republicans who defend their low-wage sweatshop practices, while 20 percent goes to buy a few business Democrats and divide the opposition. They are leading contributors to the voucher movement seeking to privatize education, and staunch advocates of the free trade policies that have stymied efforts to link trade access to the right to organize, environmental protection or even a crackdown on sweatshops.

Across America, people are starting to realize the stark reality: Wal-Mart's triumph is the defeat of middle-class America. If Wal-Mart sets the pace, Americans will pay the price, in declining wages, rising health care costs, longer hours, worse workplace conditions and rising personal taxes to offset soaring corporate subsidies.

thank you comrade!!! whens the march?:eusa_eh:

If standing up for worker's rights and standing up for local mom & pop businesses makes me a 'comrade', I would much rather be a 'comrade' than a Monica Lewinsky for the opulent like you...wipe that white shit dripping down your chin.

Peasants-for-Plutocracy-by-Michael-Dal-Cerro505x379.jpg

I've no idea why anyone would expect any company to have a policy that pays wages above what the market bears. No one working at Wal-Mart, to the best of my knowledge, is a slave or an indentured servant.

I've no idea why anyone would expect any company to have a policy that pays wages above what the market bears. No one working at Wal-Mart, to the best of my knowledge, is a slave or an indentured servant.

Actually taxpayers are the 'slaves or an indentured servants.

Wal-Mart internalizes their profits, and externalizes their costs.

Wal-Mart also exploits taxpayers, for it is what Ronald Reagan would denounce as the leading corporate welfare queen. It's estimated that Wal-Mart's government subsidies total a whopping $2.7 billion, or $2,100 per employee.

One 200-employee Wal-Mart store may cost federal taxpayers $420,000 per year because of the need for federal aid (such as housing assistance, tax credits, and health insurance assistance) for Wal-Mart's low-wage employees.

WALMART could not exist without the US welfare system to augment their workers incomes.

WALMART could not pay less than living wages if there was not a GLUT of workers deperate enough to work for less than a living wage who can ALSO get WEFARE to augment those crappy wages.

WALMARTS existence in the USA depends on on WELFARE.

Actually taxpayers are the 'slaves or an indentured servants.

Wal-Mart internalizes their profits, and externalizes their costs.

Wal-Mart also exploits taxpayers, for it is what Ronald Reagan would denounce as the leading corporate welfare queen. It's estimated that Wal-Mart's government subsidies total a whopping $2.7 billion, or $2,100 per employee.

One 200-employee Wal-Mart store may cost federal taxpayers $420,000 per year because of the need for federal aid (such as housing assistance, tax credits, and health insurance assistance) for Wal-Mart's low-wage employees.
I see a lot of stats, but again, why would a company pay more for labor than the market bears? The company is responsible for whatever arrangements are arrived at between it and the worker. Any assistance rendered to people by the government is the concern of the government and individual, not the employer.

Again, they are neither slaves nor indentured servants. They are free to leave upon finding better work, as I am sure many do. The turnover a Wal-Mart must be astronomical.

nice sob story

Lisa hoped that her job would amount to the beginning of a career

Walmart must have her feet chained to the floor..

this is unfortunately the people of today, instead of DOING SOMETHING about "her hopes" they just whine about not making it happen and blame others for it

Read the whole article on my phone and found it very difficult to feel sorry for any of these people. These folks are in situations of their own making. There are other places to work with similar job requirements and higher pay, even in this economy. They just need to get out there and look. I don't by this bull that they "can't"...it's more that they "won't.

That said, I don't even shop at Wal-Mart. Don't mind paying a bit more for a better product.

Forum List

Back