Intermittent Explosive Disorder

Joz

Mar 9, 2004
CHICAGO — To you, that angry, horn-blasting tailgater is suffering from road rage. But doctors have another name for it — intermittent explosive disorder — and a new study suggests it is far more common than they realized, affecting up to 16 million Americans.

"People think it's bad behavior and that you just need an attitude adjustment, but what they don't know ... is that there's a biology and cognitive science to this," said Dr. Emil Coccaro, chairman of psychiatry at the University of Chicago's medical school.

Road rage, temper outbursts that involve throwing or breaking objects and

even spousal abuse can sometimes be attributed to the disorder, though not everyone who does those things is afflicted.........

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,198276,00.html

I think there are ALOT of idiots on the road. I find fault with the license examiners. :) If more people actually paid attention to driving rather than spend this time talking to their best friend on the phone.........

Just one more thing for a lawyer's defense.

It's not a disorder - it's people raised by liberals. :(

No sense of self-control. If they WANT something, cry until they GET it.

Road Rage is not an epidemic. It's just something that's always been, except now it gets all kinds of press coverage because somebody thought up a name for it. If Road Rage was an epidemic, there'd be more car wrecks, but car wrecks are down. All it is is another cry for ratings from the big news stations.

dmp said:

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to dmp again.

I have "Intermittent Explosive Disorder" but it has nothing to do with road rage...it usually manifests itself when I have eaten something that intreferes with the normal operation of my gastro-intestinal tract.

CSM said:
I have "Intermittent Explosive Disorder"......usually manifests itself when I have eaten something that intreferes with the normal operation of my gastro-intestinal tract.
Maybe you should see a doctor about that? It isn't good at our age. :rotflmao:

diagnostic label, but it captures people who are otherwise lost in the reimbursement net--people with brain injuries or congenital encephalopathy who are seriously aggressive. So it's a useful diagnosis, and provides the necessary justification for an array of services and treatments that many people (most of whom have serious cognitive and physical limitations) need.

It wouldn't be appropriate to apply it to someone with road rage.

Mariner (M.D.)

There is no personal responsibility, everything is attributable to some abnormal disorder.

:cuckoo:

Mariner said:
diagnostic label, but it captures people who are otherwise lost in the reimbursement net--people with brain injuries or congenital encephalopathy who are seriously aggressive. So it's a useful diagnosis, and provides the necessary justification for an array of services and treatments that many people (most of whom have serious cognitive and physical limitations) need.
Whatever has to be done to work with the insurance companies. My son has asthma, but had to be diagnosed with "Reactive Airway Disorder" to get the insurance to cover it. :rolleyes:

Mariner (M.D.)
That's the problem; too many people making excuses for behavior that could be solved with a modicum of self-control. :(

Mariner said:

Mariner (M.D.)

Doesn't "brain injury" catch the people in the first category?

dmp said:

This coming from a guy who suddenly went nuclear on me out of no where... dude... you're obviously suffering from IED.

:blowup:

Sorry, I don't understand your question.

Typical examples of times I'd use the diagnosis of IED:

--a child whose mother had rubella while pregnant, and who now requires medication to control severe intermittent aggression

--a mentally retarded adult who has episodic aggression.

Basically, the diagnosis provides at least a label, a "handle" for the use of medication and for billing insurance. It beats saying "no diagnosis," but it doesn't represent a true medical syndrome in the usual sense. It's a miscellaneous basket.

People with brain injuries often fall between the cracks of various care systems. Private insurers stop paying after a year or two. Gov't agencies then fight over who is responsible. Some states provide terrible services. New Hampshire, for example, may be a great place to live if you hate paying taxes, but it's a very bad place to take off your motorcycle helmet and get a head injury. You'll likely end up in your friendly neighboring state of Massachusetts where there are actually some services available.

Mariner.

Mariner said:
Sorry, I don't understand your question.

Typical examples of times I'd use the diagnosis of IED:

--a child whose mother had rubella while pregnant, and who now requires medication to control severe intermittent aggression

--a mentally retarded adult who has episodic aggression.

Basically, the diagnosis provides at least a label, a "handle" for the use of medication and for billing insurance. It beats saying "no diagnosis," but it doesn't represent a true medical syndrome in the usual sense. It's a miscellaneous basket.

People with brain injuries often fall between the cracks of various care systems. Private insurers stop paying after a year or two. Gov't agencies then fight over who is responsible. Some states provide terrible services. New Hampshire, for example, may be a great place to live if you hate paying taxes, but it's a very bad place to take off your motorcycle helmet and get a head injury. You'll likely end up in your friendly neighboring state of Massachusetts where there are actually some services available.

Mariner.

I guess if you have to start calling symptoms new diseases, then you have to.

that. One day we'll have functional brain scanning capable of locating the specific pathway that, say, causes a cocaine baby to grow up totally aggressive, and we'll be able to name the pathway. For now, we just say "IED," and assume the pathway is there.

Mariner.

Forum List

Back