Interesting thing about The Coffee Shop

alan1

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes
This is simply my observation over the past few months concerning FoxFyre's Coffee Shop thread.
She built that thread as a place to unwind from the politics on this board. A place to to relax and have some fun and camaraderie with fellow posters on this board. A place absent of political discourse and disagreement. A place open to everybody regardless of political persuasion.

It is truly one of the most non-partisan threads on this board, it is devoid of political argument and partisanship. Friendships are built. Fun happens. Flames are absent.
Foxfyre is no moderator, the thread is self moderated by the people that post in it.

Why is it that so few people from a liberal perspective visit and post in the Coffee Shop?

This is simply my observation over the past few months concerning FoxFyre's Coffee Shop thread.
She built that thread as a place to unwind from the politics on this board. A place to to relax and have some fun and camaraderie with fellow posters on this board. A place absent of political discourse and disagreement. A place open to everybody regardless of political persuasion.

It is truly one of the most non-partisan threads on this board, it is devoid of political argument and partisanship. Friendships are built. Fun happens. Flames are absent.
Foxfyre is no moderator, the thread is self moderated by the people that post in it.

Why is it that so few people from a liberal perspective visit and post in the Coffee Shop?

Maybe many of them don't wish to give a conservative the benefit of the doubt. I would suggest that conservatives are more likely than liberals to associate with the other side. In open society conservatives are more likely to accept liberals without prejudice than the other way around. I would suggest that Deanie and TDM are good cases in point to support that premise.

Last edited:
I would suggest that conservatives are more likely than liberals to associate with the other side. In open society conservatives are more likely to accept liberals without prejudice than the other way around.

Any evidence of that?

Otherwise who does or doesn’t participate in a message board thread is in no way representative of a group as a whole.

I would suggest that conservatives are more likely than liberals to associate with the other side. In open society conservatives are more likely to accept liberals without prejudice than the other way around.

Any evidence of that?

Otherwise who does or doesn’t participate in a message board thread is in no way representative of a group as a whole.

My evidence is not based on this message board exclusively, but anectdotal evidence based on real life experience. It comes from the experience of living in a university town/gown community and having to take people as they come. Conservatives can't avoid fraternizing with liberals because their work generally dictates that, and puts them in contact with them. From that exposure they get an earful.

The commentary one reads here about Boosh, or any past conservative of note is generally laden with derision and aspersions and is typical of the conservatives encounters with liberals. Liberals generally act as if it can be assumed that everyone around them with any intelligence must be in agreement.

More conservatives, to the contrary, in everyday life are more guarded about revealing themselvesbecause they need associations from which good will might result. Conservatives are more engaged in commerce in the marketplace and so are in need of establishing lasting business relationships rather than those that are just one-off. Of course there are outspoken people from both sides, but liberals assume they have the moral high ground.

Having said that, I will also say there are some quite decent liberals here on these boards, as there are conservatives. The two individuals I referred to openly and sanctimoniously exhibit an attitude that I see and hear too often. Debbie Schultz gets to be Democrat party chair because she so strongly manifests that same attitude.

Last edited:

Any evidence of that?

My evidence is not based on this message board exclusively, but anectdotal evidence based on real life experience. It comes from the experience of living in a university town/gown community and having to take people as they come. Conservatives can't avoid fraternizing with liberals because their work generally dictates that, and puts them in contact with them. From that exposure they get an earful.

The commentary one reads here about Boosh, or any past conservative of note is generally laden with derision and aspersions and is typical of the conservatives encounters with liberals. Liberals generally act as if it can be assumed that everyone around them with any intelligence must be in agreement.

More conservatives, to the contrary, in everyday life are more guarded about revealing themselvesbecause they need associations from which good will might result. Conservatives are more engaged in commerce in the marketplace and so are in need of establishing lasting business relationships rather than those that are just one-off. Of course there are outspoken people from both sides, but liberals assume they have the moral high ground.

Having said that, I will also say there are some quite decent liberals here on these boards, as there are conservatives. The two individuals I referred to openly and sanctimoniously exhibit an attitude that I see and hear too often. Debbie Schultz gets to be Democrat party chair because she so strongly manifests that same attitude.

Hope you don't mind if I politely disagree. Jerks are jerks, some are lefties some are righties, most of 'em don't care. Arrogance and assholiness are not exclusive to either end of the political spectrum, and besides, everyone deserves a hearing before you draw any conclusions. So drop into the Coffee Shop and relax, you're among friends. You can always go back to the Politics forum whenever you want and kick ass. :eek:

I think she does a great job and service with the Coffee Shop. Many people wish to discuss everyday things. I am just not one of them. I am quite private for the most part, and political for the rest. If I did want to talk about those other pleasures in life, I would choose her well-run establishment in which to do it. :)

Go Foxy. :clap2:

Doesn't matter which way I am political wise.......but I don't go into the Coffee Shop mainly because of my potty mouth.
When I first came here to USMB......I entered, and used the F bomb.....and somebody pointed out to me that using that word there was not nice. (it was not Foxy btw, she always has been super nice!)
So....I apologized, said I would never intrude again, and I haven't went back in since.
But Foxy IS great....I have enjoyed her posts in the Coffee Shop as well as other areas, she is an awesome person!
I just felt bad that I obviously offended some people, so I choose to stay away. But I also stay away from many other areas too. Just me.....the way I am........odd as can be.

Forum List

Back