Interesting Statistic

CaféAuLait;6597469 said:
I heard a radio show caller say that when police discharge their firearms while on duty, the rate at which they hit their target is less than 1 in 3.

I researched and found data on NYC that puts it at 34%.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/08/nyregion/08nypd.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I found that to be interesting and relevant to a discussion of arming teachers in schools.

From your link:

Every shot, from gunfight to accident to suicide, both on and off-duty, is accounted for.

Yes. And?

Show me how good you are at reading.

I don't think so. Bullets on the way down tend to tumble; as they first leave a barrel, they are rifled and much less prone to wind resistance, but a tumbling bullet is relatively slow (and makes a really weird noise, by the way).

People get killed by bullets shot up into the sky all the time.

Link?

I didn't need a source to make that statement, dummy. You lead a sheltered life.

http://www.usacarry.com/celebratory-gunfire-a-year-round-vigilance/

Celebratory gunfire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
I heard a radio show caller say that when police discharge their firearms while on duty, the rate at which they hit their target is less than 1 in 3.

I found that to be interesting and relevant to a discussion of arming teachers in schools.

The Study is Bogus as it does not consider that Cops, Often fire a warning shot. It simply counted the number of Shots fired, to number of perps hit, and did not consider at all warning shots.

They do the same shit when they say if you own a gun you are more likely to be killed by it, than you are to use it in self defense. In that case, they include suicide by guns in their stats, and they only count it as used in self defense if the gun is actually discharged, if you just brandish it and don't have to shoot, they didn't count that.

The Left has real issues with the actual facts on this issue.

Cops don't fire warning shots well if they miss maybe ,they are trained if they pull the trigger they want you dead.

The NYC Police need to go to Front Sight.

This is my 50 shots at 50 feet

crusaderfrank-albums-usmb-members-picture5452-50-at-50.jpg

And, you had just run a couple of blocks? Had others shooting at you? Crept through a falling down building without knowing what is around ever corner?

I posted this a long time ago - If you watch the articles concerning cop shootings, its just amazing how many round are fired compared to how few hits there are.

I'm a crack shot when I quietly and slowing load, aim and fire but I've never had to shoot at another human being under the horrible stress and strain that law enforcement is under every time they punch their time card.

Arming teachers - GAWD - what a dumb idea.

The Study is Bogus as it does not consider that Cops, Often fire a warning shot. It simply counted the number of Shots fired, to number of perps hit, and did not consider at all warning shots.

They do the same shit when they say if you own a gun you are more likely to be killed by it, than you are to use it in self defense. In that case, they include suicide by guns in their stats, and they only count it as used in self defense if the gun is actually discharged, if you just brandish it and don't have to shoot, they didn't count that.

Please tell me where you got the idea that cops often fire warning shots? A link would be nice... Last I checked every cop I've ever known was taught to shoot to kill.

Then you don't know much about cops. In fact in most cases policy dictates, that when ever possible they do indeed fire a warning shot before taking a fatal kill shot.

I am sorry if you are ignorant.

And warning shots are just one small thing. In a fire fight, it is common to fire shots that you are pretty sure will not hit the target. They call this covering fire. The idea being to keep his head down, while other officers advance.

All this silly study counted was how many times their guns were fired, compared to how many perps were hit. They did not take into account any other variables, because they wanted a certain conclusion from the start.

Please tell me where you got the idea that cops often fire warning shots? A link would be nice... Last I checked every cop I've ever known was taught to shoot to kill.

Then you don't know much about cops. In fact in most cases policy dictates, that when ever possible they do indeed fire a warning shot before taking a fatal kill shot.

And warning shots are just one small thing. In a fire fight, it is common to fire shots that you are pretty sure will not hit the target. They call this covering fire. The idea being to keep his head down, while other officers advance.

All this silly study counted was how many times their guns were fired, compared to how many perps were hit. They did not take into account any other variables, because they wanted a certain conclusion from the start.

I will repeat the request for a link to support your claim that "in most cases policy dictates" a warning shot.

Under extreme stress finer motor skills like aiming go out the window. A 90% shooter on the line becomes a 10% shooter under fire. I am surprised their hit rate is as good as it is.
Now, so what? How is this relevant at all to anything?

You clearly did not read the link in the opening post. Every shot was accounted for, and not a word about warning shots.

The report is about New York City police officers. And in NYC, warning shots are banned.

Nice try.

Last edited:

It's more than that. In any type of firefight, you are likely to have many misses. As this relates to a school situation, any firefight would be at closer range.

If that number is correct it suggest they need to spend a little more time on the target range.

way to double down on the stupid, chuck :thup:

In August 1972, Murphy introduced a new policy restricting “the use of deadly force to situations involving the defense of life, replacing the traditional ‘fleeing felon’ rule. The policy also prohibited discharging firearms as warning shots, as calls for assistance, or at or from moving vehicles,” writes Samuel Walker, a criminal justice professor at the University of Nebraska. Murphy’s defense-of-life policy “was a radical innovation. To be fair, there were undoubtedly other law enforcement agencies that already had restrictive policies... The important point, however, is that none had the lasting national impact on policy that New York City’s had. Within a matter of a few years, the defense-of-life policy was the standard policy in major cities across the country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_V._Murphy

Under extreme stress finer motor skills like aiming go out the window. A 90% shooter on the line becomes a 10% shooter under fire. I am surprised their hit rate is as good as it is.

do you really need it explained to you, numbnuts?

do you want a *10% shooter* opening up in a roomful of kids?

do you really need it explained to you, numbnuts?

do you want a *10% shooter* opening up in a roomful of kids?

Isn't it remarkable?

And we never get the satisfaction of a gentlemanly retraction.

You really are one dumb mother fucker.

Once again, the study in the Opening Post is about New York City police officer shootings.

And once again, warning shots are forbidden for NYC police officers.

The 34% accuracy rate has fuck-all to do with warning shots.

But what about those of us who are proficient with firearms? Yes I know a few police officers who could not hit air with a shotgun much less a target 15 yards away.

Forum List

Back