Interesting Salad

alan1

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes
My mom was visiting last week, and she prepared a salad unlike anything I have ever had before. When she described it, I thought it sounded not only odd, but maybe even horrible.
I've never been one to shy away from new food experiences, so I tried it. And it was fantastic.
Simple to make, cool and refreshing during the summer, and a blend of interesting flavors.

Heart of watermelon (no seeds in the heart) cut into about 1 inch cubes, cucumber cut into about half inch chunks, sliced green onion, and fresh mint leaves all tossed together. Sprinkle balsamic vinaigrette over it.
It's a mouthgasm of flavor.

It sounds really refreshing and good!! Except..I don't like watermelon. I wonder how mango would taste as a replacement, since mango has the same consistancy of cantelope.

Sounds a little nutritionally sparse to me. My salads are for fuel and nutrition, dessert is for fun. I generally use spinach, broccoli, tomato, cucumber, green onion, garlic with a few options tossed in on occasion, with extra virgin olive oil.

My mom was visiting last week, and she prepared a salad unlike anything I have ever had before. When she described it, I thought it sounded not only odd, but maybe even horrible.
I've never been one to shy away from new food experiences, so I tried it. And it was fantastic.
Simple to make, cool and refreshing during the summer, and a blend of interesting flavors.

Heart of watermelon (no seeds in the heart) cut into about 1 inch cubes, cucumber cut into about half inch chunks, sliced green onion, and fresh mint leaves all tossed together. Sprinkle balsamic vinaigrette over it.
It's a mouthgasm of flavor.

I'm all about cheap and easy: This salad works on both levels.

However, I'll make a small test batch before counting on the slaves to consume larger quantities.

To return the favor, I'll share a pasta salad recipe I recently developed:

1. 16 oz bag Hodgson Mill Veggie (Spinich, Tomato, Beet) Rotini: No preservatives: No Artificial Colors or Flavors. I bought this at 50% off the $2.99 price at Safeway

2. 2 X 7 oz cans Solid White Albacore Tuna (from Costco at about $1.00/can, I think). Its a good idea to chop this up before adding. Easier to incorporate.

3. 1/2 cup McCormick California Style Corse Grind Blend Lemon Pepper with Garlic & Onion (bought at 50% off at Safeway)

4. 1/2 finely chopped red onion.

5. Salt to taste

Toss all ingredients after al dente pasta cools. Add Mayo for a creamier more caloric version if you're planning to go on a hike.

Forum List

Back