Interesting "retro" audio site

That's good stuff, and brought back some memories.

I used to listen to E. G. Marshall's Mystery Theater on AM radio. Every night. An hour long radio play.

E.G. Marshall was in many movies, though I did not learn that until I was older. Years later, he played the Howard Hughes-like germophobe character in the movie Creepshow.

I also used to listen to shortwave English language propaganda broadcasts from the Soviet Union. They had such obvious encoded messages in them. I remember one "story" they broadcast about a man in a white shirt and black tie who had a briefcase with a pineapple in it. It reminded me of that scene in The Longest Day, "...wounds my heart with a monotonous languor". I used to wonder what sort of activity was being triggered by those broadcasts.

It used to be that every kid knew how to build a radio from some wire and a toilet paper roll and other common household items.

I once "invented" a VU meter when I was in grade school. I did not have a name for it, of course. I had no idea they already existed and was so thrilled to have invented something. Then I went to a hockey game with a friend of mine, and his dad was a sportscaster so we got to go to the booth. And as he was talking, I saw the VU meter moving to his voice. Man, my heart was crushed!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back