interesting read, will probably be called bunk by most though

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=17376

'Five Lies' Excerpt: Bait and Switch

By Christopher Scheer, Robert Scheer and Lakshmi Chaudhry, AlterNet
December 14, 2003

This excerpt from "The Five Biggest Lies Bush Told Us About Iraq" is taken from the book's first chapter.

As presented to the American people by our president, the invasion and occupation of Iraq was an essential component of the “war on terror,” itself the linchpin of the vague, impossibly broad, and hyper-aggressive Bush doctrine that the president had formulated publicly in the days after 9/11.

At its root, these stratagems were supposed to make Americans safer, although Bush’s language – full of John Wayne colloquialisms like “smoke ’em out” and “hunt ’em down” – often seemed much more reminiscent of the exhortations of a vengeful jihadi cleric than that of a confident and protective patriarch, as he seemed to aspire to appear. After resounding military victories in Afghanistan and Iraq, by late spring 2003, many in the White House were exuberant and willing to say off the record that the now-famous photo of Bush striding across the deck of an aircraft carrier in full Top Gun gear would be Exhibit #1 in the 2004 presidential campaign. As it turns out, they were celebrating too soon.

Much of what has ensued is now familiar ground for those who have been following current events, and all too obviously similar to previous colonial debacles: the confusing blend of spontaneous local opposition and disciplined guerrilla organizations, economic and political chaos, and a “checkpoint culture” of tense, dangerous engagements between foreign troops and native civilians that wears on both. Instead of making us look strong, we have exposed the limits of raw power to make history.

In his eloquent February 27, 2003 letter of resignation to Secretary of State Colin Powell, diplomat John Brady Kiesling, who had served under four presidents, made a prescient warning about what lay beneath the White House’s hubris, as well as how it threatened the very United States leadership in global affairs it claimed to exemplify:

The September 11 tragedy left us stronger than before, rallying around us a vast international coalition to cooperate for the first time in a systematic way against the threat of terrorism. But rather than take credit for those successes and build on them, this administration has chosen to make terrorism a domestic political tool, enlisting a scattered and largely defeated Al Qaeda as its bureaucratic ally. We spread disproportionate terror and confusion in the public mind, arbitrarily linking the unrelated problems of terrorism and Iraq. The result, and perhaps the motive, is to justify a vast misallocation of shrinking public wealth to the military and to weaken the safeguards that protect American citizens from the heavy hand of government. September 11 did not do as much damage to the fabric of American society as we seem determined to do to ourselves . . .

We are straining beyond its limits an international system we built with such toil and treasure, a web of laws, treaties, organizations, and shared values that sets limits on our foes far more effectively than it ever constrained America’s ability to defend its interests.

This war was no gimme, however. There was considerable resistance outside of Washington to go to war without the cloak of United Nations cooperation and/or a broad coalition of real allies. And, as we have seen, even some powerful figures inside the Beltway, such as Scowcroft and Zinni, were publicly opposed to it.

To steer the United States into a preemptive war with a country 6,000 miles away, the Bush administration had to establish five key “facts” in the public’s mind as a precursor to deploying hundreds of thousands of troops and spending billions of dollars in the effort:

1. Iraq had something to do with 9/11 and/or Al Qaeda.

2. Iraq illegally possessed chemical and biological weapons which were a threat to the United States and/or its allies.

3. Iraq was fast pursuing and might even already possess the means to build and deliver a nuclear bomb.

4. Occupying Iraq would not only be a “cakewalk,” but we would also find in the aftermath a nation full of people who would welcome us and cooperate fully in the rebuilding of their country.

5. Iraq was a nation which, with U.S. aid and guidance, could within a short time become a democratic model for the rest of the region.

These five lies were hardly arbitrary, but chosen with a clear under-standing of what it takes to overcome the innate isolationism of Americans. To wage war, the American public needs to feel an immediate sense of clear and present danger, be it Pearl Harbor or the menacing presence of Soviet nuclear weapons placed in Cuba. We are poorly educated about the world beyond, but have an innate grasp of power relationships, understanding that if you can’t hurt us we don’t have to think much about you.

The fact that Iraq holds under its dry soil the world’s second largest oil reserves only complicated the pitch for occupation: Americans don’t like to think of themselves as imperialists, getting their hands dirty to secure wealth. Thanks to our history as a former colony, U.S. foreign policy has always been clothed in the rhetoric of moral exceptional-ism – the idea that wars must be undertaken at least partly for the greater good of humanity.

The larger vision behind the invasion of Iraq – as the first step toward the creation of a new American empire – was unlikely to win a ringing endorsement from a nation that likes to think of itself always as the “good guy in the white hat.” Despite Saddam’s many excesses, most Americans wouldn’t have minded if Saddam Hussein were to be overthrown, choke on a pretzel, or be stoned for adultery – and all Iraq’s oil siphoned into the Great Lakes, for that matter – but they were damned unlikely to want to risk American lives to accomplish any of it.

And then, after the unbelievable horror of 9/11, shocked out of our post–Cold War illusion of omnipotence, Americans – whether liberal or conservative – sought security, revenge, and reaffirmation of our long-held belief that we are the world’s beacon of light. Faced with these strong and often conflicting emotions, the White House offered a simple panacea: an open-ended “war on terror,” posed as a new “crusade” to wreak havoc on America’s enemies and anybody who would harbor them. U.S. presidents know that to sell a war to the American people, they need at least two basic ingredients: self-defense and moral duty. In terrorism, the Bush administration found the perfect enemy – shadowy, insubstantial, and infinitely malleable to interpretation. In his 2002 State of the Union speech, flushed with the resounding victory in Afghanistan, Bush proclaimed:

“Thousands of dangerous killers, schooled in the methods of murder, often supported by outlaw regimes, are now spread throughout the world like ticking time bombs, set to go off without warning....These enemies view the entire world as a battlefield, and we must pursue them wherever they are. So long as training camps operate, so long as nations harbor terrorists, freedom is at risk and America and our allies must not, and will not, allow it.”

Forget the Taliban. It was now time for a full-blown “axis of evil,” a wish list of targets that could be picked off one by one in this unending war; unfortunately for Saddam, Iraq was #1. Over the coming year, the Bush administration would persistently work to convince the American public that: one, Saddam has already attacked the United States through his connections with Al Qaeda; and two, he could and would do so again using biological and chemical weapons or, if we were to waste any more time, a nuclear bomb.

In chapters two, three, and four, we deconstruct each of these myths – Saddam’s link to Al Qaeda, his threatening stash of bio-chemical weapons, and his nuclear weapons program – in detail. As these chapters reveal, the Bush administration did not have good evidence to support its allegations. It instead combined vague assertions, outright falsehoods, and exaggerated rhetoric that were repeated over and over again until they were established as “facts” in the public debate.

While establishing Saddam’s credentials as a terrorist required “imaginative” uses of intelligence, the moral card was much easier to play in the post-9/11 era. The national tragedy brought out the uglier side of American exceptionalism: the need to objectify entire nations as “evil.” Whatever the motives for war, Americans have always needed to believe in their righteousness in waging it.

Thanks, DKSuddeth. I don't suppose this will get much critical analses from those that beat the drums of war but you got my attention, whatever that means.

Peace after you stomp the hell out of a peaceful innocent is not Peace at all, don't you agree? Lest you misunderstand, I think Saddam was a legal target. I don't think the innocents were and I don't think their survivors will forget.

You're right. Bunk.

Very curious that they conveniently ignored Regime change / Humanitarian reasons.

Just for the hell of it, though, I'll address the 5 points spelled out.

1. Iraq had something to do with 9/11 and/or Al Qaeda.

I don't know where the hell liberals get this Iraq / 9-11 connection, any informed person knows better than this. And yet they continue to say that someone made this claim. This is completely false & it's so friggin old it doesn't even make me chuckle at it anymore.

Iraq did indeed have connections with Al Qaeda. Fact.

2. Iraq illegally possessed chemical and biological weapons which were a threat to the United States and/or its allies.

IF they did not possess said WMDs, then they have pulled off the disinformation coup of the century - every nation in the UNSC was completely convinced of their existence.

That 'disception' is not easy to do.

Time will tell, we won't get to the bottom of it here.

3. Iraq was fast pursuing and might even already possess the means to build and deliver a nuclear bomb.

Thank God Israel took out their nuclear reactor in the early '80s, otherwise Saddam would have been untouchable.

As far as what was said prior to the festivities, no one knew then or even now exactly how close he was to acheiving his nuclear ambitions.

Again, time will tell.

4. Occupying Iraq would not only be a “cakewalk,” but we would also find in the aftermath a nation full of people who would welcome us and cooperate fully in the rebuilding of their country.

This is utter bullshit.

Anyone with an understanding of war knows that there is ALWAYS an element of resistance in an occupied country. Always. No one knows how much resistance there will be. To say otherwise is completely moronic.

I defy anyone to find a White House official stating that it was going to be easy after the war.

5. Iraq was a nation which, with U.S. aid and guidance, could within a short time become a democratic model for the rest of the region.

Yep. That's the plan. Time will tell.

Certainly.

When the resourses of many are expended to the profit/benefit of a few are expended then the economic model is destined for eventual failure. I don't find that truism to be so difficult to understand.

Why in the world would you suspect that to be the case??

We're trying to civilize that region, man! It's in our best interests to make that baby the gleaming jewel in the mudhole!

Uh, yes. I'll expect a like insincerity in your future posts.

Have you ever been to Iraq? Or any part of the middle east? Do you have any understanding of those cultures at all? I'll bet you've never even been much past your town's or county's limits. You at least demonstrate that you don't have a very comprehensive background in international cultures and affairs.

But, I'm a liberal, a veteran, a retired politician and Most of All, an American. I'm proud of all that.

I think psycho's referring to our spending $187 billion on Iraq free of charge, just so Halli can claim 2% profit on a $61 million overcharge, which they could never possibly get away with in front of the media. Oh, or maybe the oil that we have so far not partaken of, but have done everything possible to keep going to maintain cashflow to the Iraqi government, not ours. Or maybe it's all the effort we're making to get rid of leftover debts from Saddam's regime to other countries. Could it be our pledge to keep troops there and maintain a peaceful environment for democratic elections? Nah, that's all just good stuff and a clerical error.

NightTrain was suggesting that psycho's Cowboy economics would not work here, because the cowboy would be prettying up the harlot to make the bad guy at the bar jealous, rather than cutting and running.

Have you ever been to Iraq? Or any part of the middle east?

No. Have you?

Do you have any understanding of those cultures at all?

Yes, actually, I do! Do you?

I'll bet you've never even been much past your town's or county's limits.

LOL

I've been in 43 States, Mexico and Canada. Not that it's any of your business. Yeah, I've travelled extensively in North America but that's about it.

Oops, did I need to travel to other continents before forming my OWN opinions?

You at least demonstrate that you don't have a very comprehensive background in international cultures and affairs.

Really? Exactly how did I demonstrate this to you? I want examples.

I really don't care for your punk ass attitude. I've treated you with respect, and I expect the same. Got it?

Don't let that alligator mouth overload that chickadee ass.

Originally posted by NightTrain
I really don't care for your punk ass attitude. I've treated you with respect, and I expect the same. Got it?

He hasn't an ounce of respect in him. One by one he has copped this very attitude with everyone he has crossed on this board. Don't expect direct answers to your questions, he runs faster than a rabbit away from those. All is forgiven though, he's a veteran :rolleyes:

I don't know where the hell liberals get this Iraq / 9-11 connection, any informed person knows better than this. And yet they continue to say that someone made this claim. This is completely false & it's so friggin old it doesn't even make me chuckle at it anymore.

Iraq did indeed have connections with Al Qaeda. Fact.

Its not only 'liberals' that got the Iraq/ 9-11 connection, many us citizens felt that this was fact stated by the administration as evidenced by a poll that 7 in 10 americans thought hussein and iraq were directly involved in 9-11. As for 'fact', we have, so far unless its changed, one document describing a vague meeting between one AQ operative and an iraqi intelligence official, contents being classified(?) maybe.

IF they did not possess said WMDs, then they have pulled off the disinformation coup of the century - every nation in the UNSC was completely convinced of their existence.

That 'disception' is not easy to do.

Time will tell, we won't get to the bottom of it here.

We've been told many times that hussein has become very masterful at deception, we should assume nothing at this point. What I find disturbing is that in shifting the entire point of invasion away from finding WMD's what danger do we leave open from others?

[QUOTEThank God Israel took out their nuclear reactor in the early '80s, otherwise Saddam would have been untouchable.[/QUOTE]

agreed, and i'm not so sure about the untouchable part

As far as what was said prior to the festivities, no one knew then or even now exactly how close he was to acheiving his nuclear ambitions.

Again, time will tell.

how much time do we need? the time argument is a losing point, in my opinion, we have found as much as the UN team found and they wanted more time as well.

"CAKEWALK"

Anyone with an understanding of war knows that there is ALWAYS an element of resistance in an occupied country. Always. No one knows how much resistance there will be. To say otherwise is completely moronic.

I defy anyone to find a White House official stating that it was going to be easy after the war.

March 28, 2003 | Richard Perle, recently resigned chairman of the Defense
Policy Board, in a PBS interview July 11, 2002:

"Saddam is much weaker than we think he is. He's weaker militarily. We know
he's got about a third of what he had in 1991."

"But it's a house of cards. He rules by fear because he knows there is no
underlying support. Support for Saddam, including within his military
organization, will collapse at the first whiff of gunpowder. "

Ken Adelman, former U.N. ambassador, in an Op-Ed for the Washington Post,
Feb. 13, 2002:

"I believe demolishing Hussein's military power and liberating Iraq would be
a cakewalk. Let me give simple, responsible reasons: (1) It was a cakewalk
last time; (2) they've become much weaker; (3) we've become much stronger;
and (4) now we're playing for keeps.

Vice President Dick Cheney, on NBC's "Meet the Press" March 16:

"The read we get on the people of Iraq is there is no question but that they
want to get rid of Saddam Hussein and they will welcome as liberators the
United States when we come to do that."

"My guess is even significant elements of the Republican Guard are likely as
well to want to avoid conflict with the U.S. forces and are likely to step
aside."

Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, in an interview with Wolf Blitzer on
CNN March 23:

"The course of this war is clear. The outcome is clear. The regime of Saddam
Hussein is gone. It's over. It will not be there in a relatively reasonably
predictable period of time."

"And the people in Iraq need to know that: that it will not be long before
they will be liberated."

Deputy Secretary of Defense Paul Wolfowitz, in a speech to the Veterans of
Foreign Wars March 11:

"Over and over, we hear reports of Iraqis here in the United States who
manage to communicate with their friends and families in Iraq, and what they
are hearing is amazing. Their friends and relatives want to know what is
taking the Americans so long. When are you coming?"

"In a meeting last week at the White House, one of these Iraqi-Americans
said, 'A war with Saddam Hussein would be a war for Iraq, not against
Iraq.'"

"The Iraqi people understand what this crisis is about. Like the people of
France in the 1940s, they view us as their hoped-for liberator. They know
that America will not come as a conqueror. Our plan -- as President Bush has
said -- is to 'remain as long as necessary and not a day more.'"

Its not only 'liberals' that got the Iraq/ 9-11 connection, many us citizens felt that this was fact stated by the administration as evidenced by a poll that 7 in 10 americans thought hussein and iraq were directly involved in 9-11. As for 'fact', we have, so far unless its changed, one document describing a vague meeting between one AQ operative and an iraqi intelligence official, contents being classified(?) maybe.

While I know this poll exists, and we've discussed several times on this board, the administration is certainly not responsible for it's origin. I think with Afghanistan and Iraq happening so quickly after 9/11, a lot of citizens just 'assumed' it was all tied together. I believe going into Iraq is a huge part of the 'War on Terrorism', I don't think it was directly related to 9/11.

We've been told many times that hussein has become very masterful at deception, we should assume nothing at this point. What I find disturbing is that in shifting the entire point of invasion away from finding WMD's what danger do we leave open from others?

We can either assume he ISN'T lying and remove him from power - especially when there were MANY other reasons for his removal. Or we could assume he was lying and take a chance that he doesn't harm his citizens, neighbors and possibly sell off WMD to terrorists to be utilized on our homeland.

how much time do we need? the time argument is a losing point, in my opinion, we have found as much as the UN team found and they wanted more time as well.

I still see removing Saddam as a well needed victory, whether WMD are found or not.

The quotes you referenced in regards to the "cakewalk" I think are a little misconstrued. They are referring to Saddam's army and his republican guard. While I don't think it was a cakewalk, they certainly don't deserve recognition of holding off our forces with any degree of success. The insurgents and terrorists are a whole different ballgame. I think they were expected from the beginning. I remember listening to one speech by Bush where he said we were likely to be in Iraq for quite some time, that there would be many casualties, and that we would ultimately be victorious.

I think the US military going up against Iraq's army IS a cakewalk, but the occupation is not. The fact is that the insurgents pose a much higher threat than their army ever has - as far as warfare is concerned.

While I know this poll exists, and we've discussed several times on this board, the administration is certainly not responsible for it's origin. I think with Afghanistan and Iraq happening so quickly after 9/11, a lot of citizens just 'assumed' it was all tied together. I believe going into Iraq is a huge part of the 'War on Terrorism', I don't think it was directly related to 9/11.

Even in my conspiracy theory mind, I don't believe this was an intention of the administration, however, I do believe they had no problem with it being disseminated to bring popular opinion with it. I still have a difficult time association the war in iraq with the war on terror, There are hotter spots than iraq was.

We can either assume he ISN'T lying and remove him from power - especially when there were MANY other reasons for his removal. Or we could assume he was lying and take a chance that he doesn't harm his citizens, neighbors and possibly sell off WMD to terrorists to be utilized on our homeland.

or we can assume he's a blustering bully in his own isolated little country and eventually his people would unite and run him out of power on their own. Theres many more answers or solutions to the issue than the two you leave, especially when the issue of his WMD possession remains unanswered. People will not give that up and sooner or later its going to have to be resolved.

I still see removing Saddam as a well needed victory, whether WMD are found or not.

this is an opinion, right? Because up until 9/11/2001, it seemed the state department had hussein all but boxed up and ready to shelve away.

The quotes you referenced in regards to the "cakewalk" I think are a little misconstrued. They are referring to Saddam's army and his republican guard. While I don't think it was a cakewalk, they certainly don't deserve recognition of holding off our forces with any degree of success. The insurgents and terrorists are a whole different ballgame. I think they were expected from the beginning. I remember listening to one speech by Bush where he said we were likely to be in Iraq for quite some time, that there would be many casualties, and that we would ultimately be victorious.

misconstrued? They are direct quotes. Whether people misconstrue them to mean the whole of iraq or just the sunni faction, or the hussein brothers themselves is their problem. This is the case of the double edged sword and how it can cut you coming back.

Earlier, people are trying to say the administration NEVER said iraq and 9/11 had direct connections and its 'liberals' that are misconstruing or misstating the words of the administration. Now, we have direct quotes that the war would be easy and its not. No mention at all, that I can remember anyway, ever made mention of the aftermath other than the people would welcome us with open arms.

Pls help me understand: We (U.S.) gave Saddam chem weapons and cash to fight Iran, we encourage the Kurds and Shiites to stage coup then run, we impose sanctions felt by nearly all Iraqis, we invade a soverign nation based on proven lies, we take over the oil fields, we kill about 10,000 Iraqi innocents, we watch while Iraq's national treasures get looted, we install the IGC with corrupt scumbags like Chalibi, we destroy Baghdad's infrastructure, we (Dubya) condemn Saddam to death before the trial begins, we move into Saddam's palaces...and act like WE own the place....gee, I wonder why so many Iraqis and people around the world don't applaud us!!!

Nice bit of research, DK.

However, you're missing the point here - the actual war itself wasn't what I was talking about. The resistance after the fact was my focus in response to your article :

I replied :

The actual war and the following occupation are two different issues. The Iraqi military crumbled before our military & the operation was a stunning success.

My statement stands. No White House official said the occupation was going to be easy. There was speculation and hopes that many Iraqis would support us, and there are many of them that indeed do.

But no White House official said it was going to be smooth sailing after the end of hosilities. No one ever said there would be no resistance. No one ever claimed that 100% of Iraqis would welcome the US military with open arms as claimed by your article.

I realize that you didn't write it, I'm just pointing out that they are way off base & they had to know it. It seems pretty self evident to me.

Forum List

Back