Interesting question .....

Oldandtired

Rookie
Aug 17, 2009
Long Island
First of all, I am not a birther. I have never even entered a thread about the birth certificate issue.

However, I got a call from my son last night from school. In Poli Sci, he is wrtiting a paper on the arguments and conspiracies displayed by both parties during the last 3 presidential elections.

He collected information on the Kerry swift boat thing, the FLorida chads, Keatring 5, Bill Ayers, Reverend Wright, Joe Biden being accused of being a racist by the Obama camp...and yes, the birth certificate issue.

What he tried to do was find the birth certificate....and he couldn't. He tried to find something that proved it was a conspiracy theory and he couldnt.

SO I explained to him that I assume he never was forced to produce it and I also assume NO other president had to produce it once elected....and I told him he is best to simply say that although he never produced, no other Presdient was ever required to do so...sort of as a footnote to his paper.

But he asked me a good qiuestion...and I need to be frank...I DO NOT WANT TO BE LABELED AS A BIRTHER.......but.....

Has any other president been required to prove he was a citizen in the past?

Obama presented a "Certificate of Live Birth" which is what the State of Hawaii issued at the time he was born. Since it doesn't say "Birth Cerificate", birthers use it as proof he was not born in the US. The State of Hawaii, including their Republican Governor have validated Obama's birth in Hawaii

Now, all we have to do is wait for the birthers to chime in how none of this counts and this thread can assume its proper place in the Eots zone

None that I can recall. But then he is our first black president and he is a democrat.

Wasn't there some retaliatory fuss over McCain since he was actually born in Panama or somesuch?

• Banned
Obama presented a "Certificate of Live Birth" which is what the State of Hawaii issued at the time he was born. Since it doesn't say "Birth Cerificate", birthers use it as proof he was not born in the US. The State of Hawaii, including their Republican Governor have validated Obama's birth in Hawaii

Now, all we have to do is wait for the birthers to chime in how none of this counts and this thread can assume its proper place in the Eots zone

But did he furnish a birth certificate?
Did any other President have to produce one?

I think what you are getting at is.
Is providing a birth certificate routine for presidential candidates or was Obama singled out as an exception?

• Banned
None that I can recall. But then he is our first black president and he is a democrat.

Wasn't there some retaliatory fuss over McCain since he was actually born in Panama or somesuch?

In all fairness, as my son collected for his report.....Those that ORIGINALLY asked for the birth certificate, (not the loons) asked for only one reason....he was a man that had his natural father who was NOT a citizen of the US....and I believe this was deemed as having never been the case with any other President in recent history......

Saying it was a racial issue is unfair for the ORIGINAL questioners.

Likewise, a man born to US military on foreign soil where the parent was stationed, I believe, is a facotr in the McCain thing.

But did Obama actually produce it?

• Banned

I think what you are getting at is.
Is providing a birth certificate routine for presidential candidates or was Obama singled out as an exception?

Yes...EXACTLY.
Is it unusual?
Is the fact that one parent was NOT a US citizen a good cause to ask?

In all fairness, as my son collected for his report.....Those that ORIGINALLY asked for the birth certificate, (not the loons) asked for only one reason....he was a man that had his natural father who was NOT a citizen of the US....and I believe this was deemed as having never been the case with any other President in recent history......

Likewise, a man born to US military on foreign soil where the parent was stationed, I believe, is a facotr in the McCain thing.

George washingtons father was not a citizen of the United States.
He was a subject of the crown.

• Banned

There was no US when he was born.

My kid's question is a valid one......was any other president born to a non US citizen? And if yes, did he produce a BC?

My kid's question is a valid one......was any other president born to a non US citizen? And if yes, did he produce a BC?

I think the issue here concerns one parent not being a US citizen.
And correct there was no US when GW was born. An Interesting technicality though.

LOL

Thanks for proving my point

he produced this document;
FactCheck.org: Born in the U.S.A.

I have watched elections since Nixon and this is the first time I recall it being an issue.

mods, please move this thread to conspiracy zone......

I think the issue here concerns one parent not being a US citizen.
And correct there was no US when GW was born. An Interesting technicality though.

Well...the issue seems to be that there may have been a valid reason to ask to see a BC.....one parent not being a US citizen is by no means an issue in itself as one WAS a US citizen.....but that, of course, assumes the US citizen parent was living in the US when she gave birth.

But is there NOT valid reason for anyone....even the Speaker of the House.... to ask to see one in this scenario?

Oh look, let's compare apples to orangutans. Either make a legitmate argument or no argument but don't make a stupid argument.

Washington - fail - the US was being founded - there was no Constitutional requirement. Idiot.

McCain - children of US military born on foreign soil are deemed to have been born on US soil. This I know because it applies to quite a few of my family members. Another fail.

from my understanding, no president has been asked to show his birth certificate.

There have been several people that have run for the presidency, where one parent was not born in the usa, or they themselves were not born in the usa....and NONE of them were officially questioned, from what I have read...but this could be because they did not win the presidency?

in recent years there has been:

George Romney, born in Mexico ran for the presidency in 1968 I believe?

John Mccain, born in Panama ran for the presidency in 2000, and 2008...

First of all, I am not a birther. I have never even entered a thread about the birth certificate issue.

However, I got a call from my son last night from school. In Poli Sci, he is wrtiting a paper on the arguments and conspiracies displayed by both parties during the last 3 presidential elections.

He collected information on the Kerry swift boat thing, the FLorida chads, Keatring 5, Bill Ayers, Reverend Wright, Joe Biden being accused of being a racist by the Obama camp...and yes, the birth certificate issue.

What he tried to do was find the birth certificate....and he couldn't. He tried to find something that proved it was a conspiracy theory and he couldnt.

SO I explained to him that I assume he never was forced to produce it and I also assume NO other president had to produce it once elected....and I told him he is best to simply say that although he never produced, no other Presdient was ever required to do so...sort of as a footnote to his paper.

But he asked me a good qiuestion...and I need to be frank...I DO NOT WANT TO BE LABELED AS A BIRTHER.......but.....

Has any other president been required to prove he was a citizen in the past?

Key words...right there.

from my understanding, no president has been asked to show his birth certificate.

There have been several people that have run for the presidency, where one parent was not born in the usa, or they themselves were not born in the usa....and NONE of them were officially questioned, from what I have read...but this could be because they did not win the presidency?

in recent years there has been:

George Romney, born in Mexico ran for the presidency in 1968 I believe?

John Mccain, born in Panama ran for the presidency in 2000, and 2008...

Oh, for heavens sake..... McCain does not count - he was born into serving military, that's the same as being born on US soil. Can we please not twist facts to suit an agenda.

Forum List

Back